Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 05-03-2010, 07:44 AM   #16
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Sleuth View Post
I bought an iPad to specifically read my hundreds of scanned comics.

I don't bother with any of the comic reader apps. Not worth the money or trouble since you can read your comics very easily with the Photos app supplied when you get your iPad. Just put your comic jpg images in a different album for each comic book. The iPhoto software on your computer syncs perfectly with iTunes so it will snyc easily with the iPad.
Could work, if you have a few comics only... I find it way more easier to just drag and drop a bunch of packed CB-files into the right app and read it as they were intended to.
It's much more comfortable and especially less hassle than re-organizing the to be synced images in itunes...
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 08:53 AM   #17
lilman
Addict
lilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-bookslilman has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle DX, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
Could work, if you have a few comics only... I find it way more easier to just drag and drop a bunch of packed CB-files into the right app and read it as they were intended to.
It's much more comfortable and especially less hassle than re-organizing the to be synced images in itunes...
Agreed. Especially if you got an iPad specifically to read comics, it is worth spending the money on a comic reader. They have features that the photo viewer does not have, such as nicely organizing your large collection by comic, and remembering which comics you have already read and where you left off reading.
lilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-03-2010, 09:11 AM   #18
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lilman View Post
Agreed. Especially if you got an iPad specifically to read comics, it is worth spending the money on a comic reader. They have features that the photo viewer does not have, such as nicely organizing your large collection by comic, and remembering which comics you have already read and where you left off reading.
Yeah, how much is 10 bucks for a comic app compared to the 500+ dollars you paid for an ipad? (there are even free comics apps around)
Old 05-04-2010, 05:49 PM   #19
Neil
Groupie
Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Neil ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini4, iPad Pro, Kindle HD 8, Kindle Oasis 2
ComicZeal4 has been working just wonderfully for me here. I have a number of cbr comics that it accepted without problem and is displaying probably better than in an actual comic book. Recently ComicZeal4 updated the app so that there is no longer a ComicZealSync application separate. Instead it now uses the shared data area in iTunes for applications. What that basically means is that you drag your cbr file over to iTunes, drop it into ComicZeal4 and the next time you start up CZ4 it will suck in the comics over your wifi (there is also a way to use the net). Takes now about 15 to 20 seconds to load a comic book. Once loaded you have a full interface to categorize, rename, move the files and so on.
Neil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 09:46 PM   #20
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil View Post
ComicZeal4 has been working just wonderfully for me here. I have a number of cbr comics that it accepted without problem and is displaying probably better than in an actual comic book. Recently ComicZeal4 updated the app so that there is no longer a ComicZealSync application separate. Instead it now uses the shared data area in iTunes for applications. What that basically means is that you drag your cbr file over to iTunes, drop it into ComicZeal4 and the next time you start up CZ4 it will suck in the comics over your wifi (there is also a way to use the net). Takes now about 15 to 20 seconds to load a comic book. Once loaded you have a full interface to categorize, rename, move the files and so on.
Not exactly, when you open cz4 after syncing, it's actually extracting the files and creating thumbails
Advert
Old 05-05-2010, 02:09 PM   #21
Drybonz
Enthusiast
Drybonz began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyber Sleuth View Post
If you have cbr or cbz files, you need to just convert them to their original individual jpg format files with any of the many free converters.
I get a wave of nausea just thinking about converting even a small portion of my massive cbz collection into jpg's... especially after the hours I have put in maintaining and organizing it through ComicRack.

I can't even begin to see how using a comic reader could be more "trouble" than converting a bunch of comics from the standard format just to view them.

I would have to recommend dropping the $3-10 on the comic reader of your choice.
Drybonz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 03:36 PM   #22
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 1,2,3, Kindle DX, Onyx M96, Onyx i86 Plus, Onyx Boox Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by Over View Post
I would like to know if iPad users have already tried to read comics on their iPads. I have a few questions for them:

- How was your experience, overall?
- The screen size is adequate?
- Can the iPad read comics in PDF format?
- Can the iPad read comics in PNG/JPG format?
- Can the iPad read comics in PNG/JPG format contained in a ZIP/RAR file? CBZ/CBR?

Thank you.
The iPad is no device for constant reading.
joblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:47 PM   #23
stustaff
Wizard
stustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it isstustaff knows what time it is

Device: sony reader PRS505 and 600
Quote:
Originally Posted by joblack View Post
The iPad is the best device for constant reading.
stustaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 06:54 PM   #24
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Why not?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stustaff View Post
The iPad is the best device for constant reading.
Why?
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 07:19 PM   #25
athlonkmf
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Why not?

Why?
Probably because you get distracted every time... You have a full entertainment device in your hand... Games, email, Internet, books, comics... You gotta be a zen master to resist the temptation
Old 05-05-2010, 08:57 PM   #26
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
Why not?

Why?
You get headaches by reading on a lcd for a long time.
Old 05-05-2010, 09:31 PM   #27
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
You get headaches by reading on a lcd for a long time.
yet people stare at lcd computer screens and tv all day...

some people get headaches.. not all..
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2010, 05:28 AM   #28
athlonkmf
Guru

Maybe... we will evolve into beings who can look into bright lights with no problem. Could come in handy during our star travel.

For now, let's awe on these comics-screenshots

Manga in comiczeal

Comics in comic reader mobi

(wow... my LCD-monitor is kinda blurry...)
Old 05-06-2010, 09:17 AM   #29
joblack
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottjl View Post
yet people stare at lcd computer screens and tv all day...

some people get headaches.. not all..
Yeah and only some people get cancer from smoking .

Anyway, it's a matter of comfortable reading and the reading comfort on an eink device is unbelievable great. Also I read on my TFT display but only if it's not possible in any other way.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:09 PM   #30
scottjl
Reader of Books
scottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with othersscottjl plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Yeah and only some people get cancer from smoking .

Anyway, it's a matter of comfortable reading and the reading comfort on an eink device is unbelievable great. Also I read on my TFT display but only if it's not possible in any other way.
now that statement shows ignorance. eink vs. lcd is simply a personal choice. plenty of people find one or the other fine for reading, plenty find one or the other a horrible choice. i was glad to give up my sony 600 (which i liked, a lot) because i got tired of always having to have enough ambient light or a booklight to see the screen. the ipad, i never worry about available lighting or carrying around a booklight. eink never gave me a headache, and neither does my ipad (nor do any of the lcd monitors or tv's i watch).

getting cancer from smoking is hardly comparable to a headache from looking at something.
scottjl is offline   Reply With Quote