Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-17-2019, 02:23 PM   #91
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7, iPhone SE
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
I have not had any issues with iOS 13 on my mini or Air 2
I think you’ve been lucky. I’m not Robinson Crusoe with the issues I have had. Eg tapping to get a menu dropdown and getting the link selected instead with copy/select etc. Thats just one. Slowdown. Battery issues. My Air2 is stuck on iPadOS so bad luck for me. OTOH my phone on iOS 13 is just fine. A friend told me another update has dropped, so I’ll upgrade the Air2 and see if those issues are resolved, and if they are, then and only then, will I upgrade the new Air.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 02:58 PM   #92
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I think you’ve been lucky. I’m not Robinson Crusoe with the issues I have had. Eg tapping to get a menu dropdown and getting the link selected instead with copy/select etc. Thats just one. Slowdown. Battery issues. My Air2 is stuck on iPadOS so bad luck for me. OTOH my phone on iOS 13 is just fine. A friend told me another update has dropped, so I’ll upgrade the Air2 and see if those issues are resolved, and if they are, then and only then, will I upgrade the new Air.
They released iOS and iPadOS 13.1.3 with bug fixes on Oct 15. I don't see any improvements with my iPad Pro 9.7" though. Like you I’ve had no problems with iOS 13.x, only with iPadOS 13.x.

Not sure why so many people in so many different forums connected with various manufacturers's products seem to think that if they are not seeing issues then no one must be having them. That is a very illogical assessment. I’m glad they aren't seeing any issues, or that they can turn a blind eye to them, but there are definitely issues. Perhaps they should go to forums like those at MacRumors and read the numerous angry posts from frustrated people who wish they hadn't installed iPadOS. This isn't the first time Apple screwed up an iOS version. I think it was 11.x that was pretty bad. Stuff happens. iOS seems to be fairly stable and solid, but iPadOS was not ready for all of the iPad models it is supposed to support.

Besides the bugs, I personally hate the new popup menu windows that more often than not add at least one extra step to accomplishing simple tasks. Also, I’ve never understood why Apple spreads out app settings over more than one main Menu branch either. They’ve been doing that for quite a while though. Just one example of this non-intuitive menu poop: Why is Auto-Brightness buried deep inside the Accessibility Menu rather than where it should be located which is in the Display & Brightness Menu? There are many other examples too of course.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 06:28 PM   #93
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O, Sony PRS-650, Sony PRS-T1, nook STR, iPad 4, iPhone 5
One thing I dislike about iOS 13 is that I now gets apps asking about using bluetooth when they should not be asking such.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2019, 11:06 PM   #94
Dylrob
Murderous Mustela
Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dylrob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 8+ & iPad Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
One thing I dislike about iOS 13 is that I now gets apps asking about using bluetooth when they should not be asking such.
That is an intentional privacy feature. In theory apps should only be using Bluetooth for connecting to devices with the user's permission... And indeed many of them probably are (eg apps with Chromecast support use BT to connect to the dongle)... however some app developers were using it to track users without their permission.

Personally I deny access unless I know what device the app wants to connect to.
Dylrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 02:35 AM   #95
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OtinG View Post
... They released iOS and iPadOS 13.1.3 with bug fixes on Oct 15. I don't see any improvements with my iPad Pro 9.7" though. Like you I’ve had no problems with iOS 13.x, only with iPadOS 13.x.
Yep. Wiped, updated, installed, wiped and updated again. Same issue with facebook though seems to be ok everywhere else. Starting to wonder if facebook has done something funny too. I want to sell the Air2 but don't feel I can while its doing this.

Going to consult with Apple Discussions in the hope that someone else might have had the same issue and found a solution.

[Edit] and now, I have a brick, after my final upgrade attempt. I’ll plug it into a computer later to see if its retrievable but right now not looking promising. Making dinner and fixing iPads are mutually exclusive activities.

[Edit#2] Unbricked. Going to wait a few more updates *or* a fix.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 10-19-2019 at 06:27 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:08 AM   #96
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Yep. Wiped, updated, installed, wiped and updated again. Same issue with facebook though seems to be ok everywhere else. Starting to wonder if facebook has done something funny too. I want to sell the Air2 but don't feel I can while its doing this.

Going to consult with Apple Discussions in the hope that someone else might have had the same issue and found a solution.

[Edit] and now, I have a brick, after my final upgrade attempt. I’ll plug it into a computer later to see if its retrievable but right now not looking promising. Making dinner and fixing iPads are mutually exclusive activities.
What problems were you having with facebook? I went back a couple of pages but didn't see any mention.

Dang, it stinks that it bricked. This is the old iPad Air that you were having troubles with, correct? I see a number of ways to restore a "bricked" iPad articles. It sounds like you see them as well. Let us know how it goes.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2019, 11:41 AM   #97
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
What problems were you having with facebook? I went back a couple of pages but didn't see any mention.

Dang, it stinks that it bricked. This is the old iPad Air that you were having troubles with, correct? I see a number of ways to restore a "bricked" iPad articles. It sounds like you see them as well. Let us know how it goes.
Edited previous post earlier, I hadnt refreshed the page between posts so missed yours til now. its unbricked now. The FB issue is with menu items, selecting things... eg, trying to “Like” something is easy, but if you want to choose one of the alternative emoticons, you (I) get “Like” selected/highlighted and overlaid over the alternatives is copy/look up (and something else I cant remember right now. Hitting on notifications: I get a persistent notification overlaying everything else, even after the notified thing (eg someone liking a post I made, or commenting) has been accessed. Its a PITA. Trying to get dropdown menu items anywhere is hit and miss, not just facebook. There are probably other issues I havent experienced at all.

Its the Air2, not the original Air.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:52 PM   #98
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Edited previous post earlier, I hadnt refreshed the page between posts so missed yours til now. its unbricked now. The FB issue is with menu items, selecting things... eg, trying to “Like” something is easy, but if you want to choose one of the alternative emoticons, you (I) get “Like” selected/highlighted and overlaid over the alternatives is copy/look up (and something else I cant remember right now. Hitting on notifications: I get a persistent notification overlaying everything else, even after the notified thing (eg someone liking a post I made, or commenting) has been accessed. Its a PITA. Trying to get dropdown menu items anywhere is hit and miss, not just facebook. There are probably other issues I havent experienced at all.

Its the Air2, not the original Air.
Glad to hear you have it working again.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 04:45 AM   #99
kyteflyer
Wizard

I remembered later that I had the same issue on the iPad Pro 12.9” (2nd Gen) which I no longer own. So I ended up submitting a bug report, because the problem is not restricted to facebook. I’ve had similar issues in a couple of forums as well, in fact anywhere which uses popup emoticons and at this stage it seems to only be Safari, I alos use Firefox and the duckduckgo browser and both of those behave as they should.

Bug reports here https://www.apple.com/feedback/
Old 10-20-2019, 12:25 PM   #100
OtinG
Old Gadget Guy
OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.OtinG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPhone XR, iPad Pro 9.7, Alexa Devices
Quote:
I remembered later that I had the same issue on the iPad Pro 12.9” (2nd Gen) which I no longer own. So I ended up submitting a bug report, because the problem is not restricted to facebook. I’ve had similar issues in a couple of forums as well, in fact anywhere which uses popup emoticons and at this stage it seems to only be Safari, I alos use Firefox and the duckduckgo browser and both of those behave as they should.

Bug reports here https://www.apple.com/feedback/
Well I’ve noticed Facebook is pretty wonky most of the time regardless of whether I use Safari for macOS or the Facebook app on iOS & iPadOS. Since I use the apps I don’t access it via Safari for iOS or iPadOS. I think Facebook is poorly developed and they probably don’t have enough oversight on their developers. It reminds me of my brother and his AMC Gremlin back in the mid-1970s. It was a POS from the beginning and he was more often under the hood repairing it than he was driving it! Facebook seems to be the same: They are constantly changing things and not doing a good job at all. I’m lucky if my Wall even shows up half the time. Sometimes messages and comments take days to show up. Its a wonky mess for sure.

I’m having trouble in iOS and iPadOS with selecting text in general, and especially in some forums, and it is worse with the darn mini keyboard than with the full-size one. Another thing they broke is selecting text with the dotted red underlining. We are supposed to be able to tap those words and get spelling suggestions. But I find it nearly impossible to get the spelling suggestions now. I usually get the word selected and the prompt to Copy, Cut, Replace, or Paste, or something similar. All this BS about needing a press of precisely X number of milliseconds and no more to accomplish various editing tasks is not well thought out, especially for people with arthritis. I’m also have difficulty getting the selection point where I want it, even when using the AP1 on my iPad Pro 9.7", I’m quite often by at least a line of text. Dragging selection boundaries is also a crap shoot. As Gump says, its like a box of chocolates, you never know what you will get. I have trouble even selecting the drag handle I want, and sometimes it takes off like a rabbit with a coyote on its heels and I wind up with several paragraphs of text selected rather than just a few words on one line.

BTW, my text selection issues are not limited to Safari for iOS and iPadOS by any means. I’m having these issues in many other native and 3rd party apps as well.

Last edited by OtinG; 10-20-2019 at 12:31 PM.
OtinG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:45 PM   #101
kyteflyer
Wizard

So submit a bug report.
Old 10-20-2019, 03:11 PM   #102
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
Facebook in a browser is just terrible, I agree. But the blame for that belongs on Facebook, not Apple.

Text selection and spelling options are better under 13.1.3. It was hinky on some forums and text boxes on some sites. Moving the curser is easily done by using two fingertips on the keyboard itself...it makes it work like a touch pad. Trying to move the cursor with one fingertip in the text box is horrible. Not sure who thought that was a good idea. The little bubble that used to appear that enlarged the text worked well. I never understood why they changed that. You could easily see the cursor and where it was.

There are new gestures for text selection in apps like Pages...double and triple taps for grabbing sentences and paragraphs. But it doesn't apply to text boxes on forums etc, or when wanting to copy text from a web page.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 08:45 PM   #103
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
Facebook in a browser is just terrible, I agree. But the blame for that belongs on Facebook, not Apple.
I disagree. I detest the apps because I use my ipad in landscape, always, and a big single column of posts is a PITA. However, its whatever floats your boat, and if firefox can work OK with facebook, safari should also be able to. (And its fine in earlier versions)
Old 10-20-2019, 09:05 PM   #104
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2018 iPad Pro 12.9", KO2, Paperwhite 2019
I wasn't very clear...I prefer Facebook using a browser and dislike the app. But the browser sometimes results in problems doing certain things such as using the Like/Love buttons and messenger. Videos sometimes won't play correctly while using a browser, so you're forced to use the app.

Facebook is constantly undergoing changes, which is part of the problem.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2019, 03:25 AM   #105
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deskisamess View Post
I wasn't very clear...I prefer Facebook using a browser and dislike the app. But the browser sometimes results in problems doing certain things such as using the Like/Love buttons and messenger. Videos sometimes won't play correctly while using a browser, so you're forced to use the app.

Facebook is constantly undergoing changes, which is part of the problem.
Right! I didnt quite understand you, I thought you meant you were using the apps. The issues with like etc also exists anywhere (on any website) which uses popup emoticons (as I think I said, and if I didnt, I apologise because I intended to). I’ve got round it, though, on my Air2, by using Firefox. On my Air3, I am still on 12.4 and it all works as expected, there.

The main problem I have with facebook is with the market. It no longer seems to be possible to upload photos of your sale items via a browser whereas only a few months ago, you could do that. You can make the ad, and save a draft, but the photos have to be inserted via the app. And that is a royal PITA.

BTW, I love your nickname.... mydeskisamess too