Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-08-2023, 12:10 PM   #16
andyh2000
Avid reader
andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.andyh2000 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy Z Flip 4 / Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
We have three of little library boxes in our area and I have made several trips to get rid of some books there though at 30 books per trip, it's going to take a long time to made a dent in our collection. Sadly, I have to agree that unless the book you are donating is currently on several best sellers lists, it has more value as kindling for the fireplace.
My thirty year old SF paperbacks have been disappearing gratifyingly quickly. I like to think there's some ten year old out there discovering Niven, Pournelle, Clarke etc. for the first time and being filled with wonder like I was when I used to hoover up the shelves in our local library.

Andrew
andyh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 12:15 PM   #17
kandwo
Addict
kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kandwo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3
Wouldn't it be easier and make more sense to donate books to second hand stores rather than libraries? Or are those not a thing around there?

Most of the physical books that I own I have bought from second hand stores, as I seldom had the money to spend on new books. Second hand books and library books were what I read as a kid.

Then I was giften the Kindle 2 and discovered Gutenberg.org. Paradise!
kandwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 12:31 PM   #18
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Just to be clear, I'm not saying all donations are worthless or that all donors are duplicitous. I'm saying that many use the patina of "donation" to put a gloss on what is really passing along things without value for an organization to have to deal with at their cost.

Cherry pick your donations, people! All books are not equal.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 02:04 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
That's where the doublethink comes in. I think donors are careful not to question their assumptions when it comes to offloading what has become a problem for them.
Luckily, such self-deception is strictly limited to people donating old books. Imagine if everyone out there believed something or other that was not true. What a mess we would be in then...

Quote:
It's an undeserved win-win for such donors; they get rid of what they don't value and pat themselves on the back for their generosity at the same time. The reality is that it's much closer to a zero-sum; their gain becomes someone else's loss.
Did a book donor hurt you at some point?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 02:08 PM   #20
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
Since I started this discussion, I would like to point out again that it was a new shrink-wrapped book (this one). I was not talking about worn-out old books.

The public library in our city had 2.63 million books, magazines and new media in 2017, divided into several branches in the various districts.
No one needs to tell me that this book would not fit into the acquisition program, because I had already borrowed similar books. Or that the simple foiling and cataloging would cost so much of the budget.

Anyway. That they didn't seem to want it at all didn't upset me. What annoyed me is that they had apparently accepted it only to put it to ”another use” and hadn't told me about it.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 03:13 PM   #21
fathead
Connoisseur
fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fathead ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, Kobo Aura H2O2, PocketBook THD3, PocketBook IP3, Nook ST
Quote:
Did a book donor hurt you at some point?
Not Issybird but I've been pretty damn traumatized by the insect life in some boxes - does that count?
fathead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 03:48 PM   #22
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
Since I started this discussion, I would like to point out again that it was a new shrink-wrapped book (this one). I was not talking about worn-out old books.
What I know about library acquisitions could easy fill a thimble... maybe half way. But aren't libraries supposed to buy special versions of the books in their collections? I remember reading somewhere that libraries pay on average two and a half times cover price for titles in their catalog.

So it may be that they would not be allowed to take your retail purchased book.
Old 03-08-2023, 03:55 PM   #23
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
What I know about library acquisitions could easy fill a thimble... maybe half way. But aren't libraries supposed to buy special versions of the books in their collections? I remember reading somewhere that libraries pay on average two and a half times cover price for titles in their catalog.

So it may be that they would not be allowed to take your retail purchased book.
Are you referring to the library bound hardcovers? They are more expensive but also more durable. Locally, there is no requirement for the library to purchase them but they keep the replacement costs down so it's worthwhile for the library.

The local library branch I tend to haunt has a large collection of paperbacks as well and those tend to have short lifespans.
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2023, 04:04 PM   #24
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
Are you referring to the library bound hardcovers? They are more expensive but also more durable. Locally, there is no requirement for the library to purchase them but they keep the replacement costs down so it's worthwhile for the library.
I thought in general, libraries were not allowed to go to Costco to scoop up cheap copies of current bestsellers to lend out. But TBH, I forget where I first heard that.
Old 03-08-2023, 05:56 PM   #25
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
I thought in general, libraries were not allowed to go to Costco to scoop up cheap copies of current bestsellers to lend out. But TBH, I forget where I first heard that.
The library here has quite a few paperback books.

This is a book oriented town.The Friends of the Library have a monthly sale of donated books that book dealers from as far as 50 miles away send their minions to try to snap up anything valuable. They politely accept anything book like. I have no idea how much goes straight to recycling. I wouldn't be surprised if everything gets at least one chance to be bought by someone for 50 cents.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2023, 05:17 AM   #26
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I'm not sure how Costco works, but I believe as long the library buys a membership (or pays a little extra) they can purchase and then loan books (this is for the U.S.). I believe for physical things (books, DVDs, ...) libraries are the same as anyone else.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2023, 05:25 AM   #27
dewd
Enthusiast
dewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texandewd might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by kandwo View Post
Wouldn't it be easier and make more sense to donate books to second hand stores rather than libraries? Or are those not a thing around there?
Second-hand bookstores often have restrictions on what they will (can) accept. Generally, second-hand books don't fly off the shelves quickly, and don't have high resale value, and storage and display cost time and money. Stores have to prioritise what will sell and what will attract customers - so they can either be picky, or they can choose to take it all and incur the costs of disposal of some of it.

For second-hand stores with more general stock, all of the above applies (and the footfall factor possibly even more strongly - books just don't get customers in the way many other items do). And as staff in these stores are unlikely to be able to distinguish between which books are likely to sell and which aren't, many more general second-hand stores choose not to accept books at all - the potential value of one or two high-value books doesn't balance out the definite costs of storage and disposal.

Just as with libraries - ask first, listen to what they need/want (if anything), and be selective about what and where you choose to donate.

And as this thread started out talking about children reading - some schools, especially those in areas of high poverty, or with many refugee students, or with low parental education levels, might be very happy to receive quantities of clean, usable, no-conditions-attached children's books. They can be added to what's available in school, or given to children to take home and keep. Charities which work with these groups of children might also be interested. But again - bear in mind that however good your intentions, the schools/charities know better what they can use and what is just a burden. Ask first and be thoughtful about what you donate and its condition.
dewd is offline   Reply With Quote