Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 01-28-2023, 01:59 PM   #16
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, Kobo Libra 2
I read a few of them back when I was a teenager many years ago and found them to be a LotR rip-off. Never touched them since again.
Wiggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2023, 02:18 PM   #17
Karellen
Wizard
Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Karellen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiggo View Post
Maybe I didn't manage it then either and I just can't remember. Anyway - is it because of my advanced age, or are there just too many characters that no one can remember?

How do you feel about books that have so many names floating around that your head spins?
Yes, I recall raising this issue in another thread with some books and series in general.

Sometimes you are hit with 15+ characters in the first couple of chapters, and two chapters later I have already forgotten who they are, and what their role is.

Other times you meet characters early on, then don't hear from them until maybe two hundred pages later, and again forgotten who they are.

I was looking for a way to annotate each name in the book with a pop up brief description of who they are. Sadly, not easily possible, so I just settle for a Character Summary at the end of the book. I populate that with data from wikipedia or fan sites. If they are not available, I create it as I read.

As for the Wheel of Time specifically, I have never read the books but I watched the first two episodes of the tv show then gave up as I found it completely unenjoyable.
Karellen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2023, 12:50 PM   #18
Wiggo
Leftutti
Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wiggo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It got worse and worse with the names.

Yesterday I finished reading the last volume - what a marathon!

On the whole, the series was not bad (just under 4 stars from me), but I was a bit disappointed by the last volume. Eternal battle tactics where a lot of the main characters got left behind.
Rand's confrontation with the Dark One - which is what the whole story is about! - came across as a footnote. Too bad....

Nevertheless, a slight melancholy always hits me after such long series. Last year I finished the whole Farseer cycle by Robin Hobb - which I think is a bit better than WoT - and it was exactly the same.

Now I don't know if I'll continue reading Malazan Book of the Fallen, I am on volume 8 (not so good) and have interrupted it for WoT, or start with David Eddings, which I loved as a teenager. After that, maybe The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant. I thought those were great as a teen in the 80s too, but never got past volume 3.
Old 02-21-2023, 10:30 AM   #19
Bookstooge
Guru
Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookstooge ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 1st Gen
If you're at book 8 for Malazan, might as well slog through the final 2 books. I did find that Esslemont's sequel books, Malazan Empire novels, were much more enjoyable to read...
Bookstooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2023, 01:34 PM   #20
Wiggo
Leftutti

Thx, didn’t know of them.

But unfortunately only in English and I don't like reading in English. It's more work than fun for me.