Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-12-2020, 07:29 PM   #1
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Nook software update, 52.0.78

I got an update on my 2015 Glowlight Plus and Glowlight 3.

The updates only said performance impovements and bug fixes. But I'm seeing some small, but nice changes.

On the Nook, I like stacking by author. Previously, if I did that, authors with a single book would show as King, Stephen. But stacked authors would show as Stephen King. With the latest update, all authors now show first name last name. It looks better. Less broken.

Also, on stacked authors if you've read some but not all of there books, there is a progress bar.

There's likely other changes I haven't noticed. But these little changes are nice.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 09:04 AM   #2
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post

The updates only said performance impovements and bug fixes. But I'm seeing some small, but nice changes.

On the Nook, I like stacking by author. Previously, if I did that, authors with a single book would show as King, Stephen. But stacked authors would show as Stephen King. With the latest update, all authors now show first name last name. It looks better. Less broken.

Also, on stacked authors if you've read some but not all of there books, there is a progress bar.

There's likely other changes I haven't noticed. But these little changes are nice.
I got an update on my Glowlight Plus 2019 as well (don't remember if the number was the same). Don't know yet if there are any changes, as I'm rereading my humongous Wheel of Time omnibus on my Oasis at the moment. It can't be searched on any of my other ereaders, so the Kindle it is.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2020, 11:44 AM   #3
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I got an update on my Glowlight Plus 2019 as well (don't remember if the number was the same). Don't know yet if there are any changes, as I'm rereading my humongous Wheel of Time omnibus on my Oasis at the moment. It can't be searched on any of my other ereaders, so the Kindle it is.
I can imagine reading that on a Kobo as kepub, where each screen is one page. I bet the page numbers would be in the tens of thousands
Old 08-13-2020, 12:54 PM   #4
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I can imagine reading that on a Kobo as kepub, where each screen is one page. I bet the page numbers would be in the tens of thousands
Yeah. The kepub version on my Kobo Libra is 22,615 pages. The epub version is half of that. And the azw3 version, calculated by the page count plugin in Calibre, is 17,000 pages.

Actually the kepub is perfectly searchable, but the epub is not, either on the Kobo or on the Nook. It just hangs.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 10:13 AM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:

I don't know for sure what was improved or fixed, but I went ahead and updated. Thanks for the post, I wouldn't have had a clue about the update without it.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2020, 11:31 AM   #6
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I don't know for sure what was improved or fixed, but I went ahead and updated. Thanks for the post, I wouldn't have had a clue about the update without it.
Funny enough, I only found out because I had to turn the WiFi on so the home screen would populate with store recommendations. I was taking comparison pictures to the new Kobo home screen.

Otherwise WiFi never goes on.

So far the only changes I've noticed are in My Books:
  • Authors names were fixed so you don't have the mix of last name, first name and first name last name
  • There's now a progress bar on stacked authors (likely on stacked series too) if you've read at least one book in the stack.
  • There's now a line beneath completed books showing completed date
That's all I've seen. Nothing Earth-shattering, but nice refinements.

Honestly, at this point if I could control series and collections with Calibre, I'd just stick with Nook. The font control and so-on is still missing, but those aren't really biggies to me.
Old 08-14-2020, 04:35 PM   #7
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Honestly, at this point if I could control series and collections with Calibre, I'd just stick with Nook. The font control and so-on is still missing, but those aren't really biggies to me.
I was hoping I would find ADE built-in or a fonts directory. (Not much hope, but I did check for these features.)

It got me reading my current book on the Nook (giving the PocketBook a rest for a while). Another nice reader. (Too many of them at my house.)
Old 08-14-2020, 11:31 PM   #8
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
I was hoping I would find ADE built-in or a fonts directory. (Not much hope, but I did check for these features.)

It got me reading my current book on the Nook (giving the PocketBook a rest for a while). Another nice reader. (Too many of them at my house.)
I think Nook does have ADE. You can use it to read library books.

Authorizing NOOK® via Adobe® Digital Editions
Old 08-14-2020, 11:42 PM   #9
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:

I think what most people seem to mean when they say an ereader has ADE is that you can use a web browser on your ereader to directly download an epub using an .acsm file. Being able to authorize your ereader and read an epub transferred from ADE on your computer using USB or wireless is not quite the same. RMSDK is not ADE.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 05:27 AM   #10
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:

I don't really consider that this is ADE "built-in" since it requires ADE to be installed on a Mac or Windows PC (which is useless for me). I think what a Nook does (or what a Kobo does) is gets an Adobe authorization via the computer.

Both a Tolino and a PocketBook are "stand-alone" — no computer running ADE needed. I call it having ADE "built-in" but that's probably not technically correct. It amounts to the same thing for me, however. I can download and read DRM ePubs (without a computer) on both devices.
Old 08-15-2020, 05:28 AM   #11
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNSB View Post
I think what most people seem to mean when they say an ereader has ADE is that you can use a web browser on your ereader to directly download an epub using an .acsm file. Being able to authorize your ereader and read an epub transferred from ADE on your computer using USB or wireless is not quite the same. RMSDK is not ADE.
Yep. Should have read further into the thread. Sorry for the redundant post.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:42 PM   #12
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
I don't really consider that this is ADE "built-in" since it requires ADE to be installed on a Mac or Windows PC (which is useless for me). I think what a Nook does (or what a Kobo does) is gets an Adobe authorization via the computer.

Both a Tolino and a PocketBook are "stand-alone" — no computer running ADE needed. I call it having ADE "built-in" but that's probably not technically correct. It amounts to the same thing for me, however. I can download and read DRM ePubs (without a computer) on both devices.
For newer Kobo's, you don't need a PC (or other device) to borrow from a library (at least in some countries). ADE is built in to newer Kobo's.

I don't know if Kobo supports ACSM files.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 01:13 PM   #13
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
What model is your Nook? I have the older Plus as mentioned and the better half uses a Glowlight 3. I also have an old Simple Touch with Glowlight that I just put a 32GB card in. I don't spend any time reading on it (the Plus and Clara are enough for me). But I realize it's still a nice reader.
Old 08-15-2020, 02:58 PM   #14
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
For newer Kobo's, you don't need a PC (or other device) to borrow from a library (at least in some countries). ADE is built in to newer Kobo's.

I don't know if Kobo supports ACSM files.
Borrowing from a library using a Kobo without a computer does not involve Adobe's ADEPT DRM. The book is sourced from Kobo using their proprietary DRM.

And no, you can't borrow an ADEPT DRMed epub using an .acsm file on a Kobo.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 03:37 PM   #15
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
What model is your Nook? I have the older Plus as mentioned and the better half uses a Glowlight 3. I also have an old Simple Touch with Glowlight that I just put a 32GB card in. I don't spend any time reading on it (the Plus and Clara are enough for me). But I realize it's still a nice reader.
I have the older Plus also. It's a very nice reader. If it had the ability to side-load fonts and ability buy or borrow DRM ePubs directly, it would be an even nicer reader. But I understand the reason why Barnes & Noble doesn't do this.