Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-31-2010, 01:20 PM   #1
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
Fictionwise no longer selling certain books?

I've just logged into Fictionwise and noticed that my Wishlist now only has about a third of the titles I had previously added. From about 100 books it now only lists 27 - the majority of those being Multiformat titles.

Anyone else noticed this? It seems as if they aren't selling books from certain publishers anymore.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:44 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
My books are still in my bookshelf and I can still download them even though a lot are no longer for sale.

Penguin Group
Simon & Schuster
Harper Collins
Macmillan

I can say that these publishers are no longer listed. But I do think they will be listed again under the new agency model.

Last edited by JSWolf; 03-31-2010 at 01:54 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 02:16 PM   #3
vsalvaggio
Zealot
vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vsalvaggio ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kindle
I saw this too. If I had to bet money I would say that they are working on their system re: pricing changes going in to effect tomorrow (it's tomorrow, right?). Time will tell though.
vsalvaggio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:21 PM   #4
foghat
Evangelist
foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.foghat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3
^ I hope so. A bunch of the stuff I was about to pull the trigger on is gone. G-O-N-E, gone.
foghat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:26 PM   #5
Crusader
Space Cadet
Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crusader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, Cybook Opus, Kobo Glo
I also hope it is only temporary. There were some items I was planning to buy as soon as funds became available.
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2010, 02:33 PM   #6
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Wow. You're right. I'd built up a wish list of over a 100 books (scuppered anyway by the geographic restrictions). It's now down to just 35.

At first I thought it might be that they'd got rid of titles that I couldn't purchase due to geography, but nothing so useful.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:42 PM   #7
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Ah, it's the group of the 5 publishers pushing the agency scheme, of course. Their titles are unavailable while they sort out the new infrastructure.

Whether the new versions will reappear in our wish lists when they get them back up remains to be seen.
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:44 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
Ah, it's the group of the 5 publishers pushing the agency scheme, of course. Their titles are unavailable while they sort out the new infrastructure.

Whether the new versions will reappear in our wish lists when they get them back up remains to be seen.
The problem is that we cannot purchase from these publishers on the last day before the new pricing. So really, they've stolen a day from us.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 02:50 PM   #9
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
My wish list also has shrunk considerably, by about 30%. If they don't replace those items I'll never remember what they were. Oh well, it's not like there aren't plenty of other books to buy. The publishers' loss. I suppose the authors' loss too. I still have 76 books in my wish list, so that will keep me busy for a while.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:03 PM   #10
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Ack! All but 3 books are gone from mine. I'll never find them again. I'm not sure I even remember what they are. I agree that this is the publisher's loss, but still, what if I had wanted them today? That does seem a bit unfair. I am more and more feeling these days like Fictionwise doesn't much value my business. I am buying more and more often from Kobo instead.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 03:06 PM   #11
causticmuse
Binge Reader
causticmuse doesn't littercausticmuse doesn't litter

Device: Treo 650, JetBook Lite, Asus eeePC 900a (Linux), Palm Pre
My WL has dropped to 16 titles from around 50, too, but I'm willing to take a wait and see stance on this. It IS annoying that they've taken away the last day of availability from us, I agree.
causticmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:00 PM   #12
chlorine
Addict
chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!chlorine rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle paperwhite 2
How frustrating, I really wanted to buy one the removed books _today_. It's the third tome of a trilogy and I'm engrossed in it, and now I don't know when I'll be able to read it.

BTW what does agency model mean?

Thanks.
chlorine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:13 PM   #13
KarateMonkey
Connoisseur
KarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litterKarateMonkey doesn't litter

Device: Astak Pocket Pro, Sony PRS-300
It looks like I lost a book or two from my wishlist as well.

I suspect it's not just fictionwise that's seeing some glitches from the change. I spent a chunk of yesterday,March 30, trying to buy Silver Borne by Patricia Briggs. I know it showed up in hardcover, and Amazon had it for $9.99. Mobipocket and Diesel had it for $24.99, but nobody else did. The publisher is Penguin. Under the assumption that they're just holding it back until after April 1st, I went ahead and got it from Amazon this morning while I still could.
KarateMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 04:23 PM   #14
causticmuse
Binge Reader
causticmuse doesn't littercausticmuse doesn't litter

Device: Treo 650, JetBook Lite, Asus eeePC 900a (Linux), Palm Pre
Quote:
Originally Posted by chlorine View Post
How frustrating, I really wanted to buy one the removed books _today_. It's the third tome of a trilogy and I'm engrossed in it, and now I don't know when I'll be able to read it.

BTW what does agency model mean?

Thanks.
I'd check to see if Kobobooks.com has it. They still have a $2 off coupon that can be applied through today.
causticmuse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:45 PM   #15
cbarnett
MR prodigal son
cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cbarnett ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura H2O
Hmm. My wishlist's about 30% the size it was last I checked it. Oh well, it's not like I can buy most books I want there any more anyway.
cbarnett is offline   Reply With Quote