Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre Companion

Notices

Old 08-20-2018, 09:31 PM   #1
KnotHolme
KnotHolme began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color, Samsung Tab A6, Kindle
Unable to change default or file type folders

Hi,

I recently obtained a new device for use as a book reader (Samsung Tab A 6 - SM-T280, Android 5.1.1) and after restoring everything from my old device, tried to change the default CC folder. I am using the folder chooser to select a "/Books" folder on an SD card which is the folder that my reader app (MoonReader+) uses but no matter what I do, the default and all file type folders remain at the default "Calibre_Companion" folder.

I saw this issue reported last year and no solution was provided at that time. As was indicated in that report, I do not believe the issue is permissions as I can create any folder I want from within CC and try to select that same folder whereupon CC immediately reverts to "Calibre_Companion". Deleting App Data as well as uninstall/reinstall had no effect.

Is this a know issue and does it have a solution? Is there any debugging information that I can provide that may help resolve this issue?

Thanks,

KH
KnotHolme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2018, 05:21 AM   #2
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Send me a CC debug log as described in this FAQ.

Sometimes the problem is caused by the reusing an SD card from a previous device, which can cause the CC "app private" folder (Android/data/com.multipie.calibreandroid) to have incorrect permissions. It might be sufficient to uninstall CC, delete that folder (somehow), then reinstall CC. This would make it impossible for CC to find the one-true-path to the books folder, which would cause CC to give up.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-21-2018, 08:51 AM   #3
KnotHolme

Hi,

Thanks for the quick response! Debug log has been sent as requested. I will try the above suggestions and post results shortly.

KH
Old 08-21-2018, 09:18 AM   #4
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnotHolme View Post
Thanks for the quick response! Debug log has been sent as requested.
Unfortunately, because we limit the size of a debug log, that log doesn't contain an attempt to change the folder. Could you try once more to change it then send the log again without doing much else between?
Old 08-23-2018, 09:58 PM   #5
KnotHolme

Hi,

I just submitted another debug log. In this session I attempted to change the default storage location to a "/Books" folder on my devices internal storage and also to a "/Books" folder on my SD card. Both attemps failed. I then immediately submitted the debug log. At the end of the log there is some activity dated 2018-08-23 with timestamps running from 21:48:30 to 21:50:16. It is during this interval that I made the attempts to change the default folder.

Thanks,

KH
Advert
Old 08-24-2018, 01:59 AM   #6
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

Thanks. I will get to it as soon as I can. Currently my apartment is full of movers and boxes, and my internet access disappears in a day or two. My wife and I are living in interesting times.
Old 08-24-2018, 10:28 AM   #7
KnotHolme

No problem.

And thanks again for looking at this issue and for providing CC. It really is a great app and all your efforts are sincerely appreciated.

KH
Old 09-01-2018, 03:25 AM   #8
chaley
Grand Sorcerer

I finally had time to look seriously at this problem. It appears that a value in CC is being lost while you are browsing folders, causing CC to fail to use the result.

One way this can happen (I think) is if you change screen orientation while browsing. Are you doing that?

Another way it can happen (again, I think) is if you have a lot of applications running or if there are lots and lots of folders found by the browser. I am not sure how to test for this.

I can make a version of CC that fixes this problem and email it to you, if you are willing to install it. Would this be possible?