Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 10-06-2017, 07:36 AM   #1
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Web browsers

Which web browser are you using?

I am testing some web-based software applications, I see that it is not immediate to find a browser that works well. I am in almost real time trying a few.
mdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 08:31 AM   #2
mdp
Wizard
mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mdp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Just a few pointers from my very brief experience within recent ten minutes:
-- Firefox appears as fainty and crashy as it is on other Android devices;
-- Chrome (version 39, you can find it at a - hint - "mirror") closes as soon as opened, probably retardedly believing that it has no reason to be open if there is no Internet connection enabled (hint: local files? You are a document processor, pal);
-- Lightning, one of my favourites (as light as a 2Mb feather and natively supporting colour inversion and text reflow), seems to work well although it's not doing what I expect

Last edited by mdp; 10-06-2017 at 08:34 AM.
Advert
Old 10-06-2017, 08:48 AM   #3
mdp
Wizard

...but now I can see that Dolphin (mobi.mgeek.TunnyBrowser, latest version) seems to work quite well and also does correctly the specific things I was looking for (local running of web apps). For just browsing, I bet that Lightning (acr.browser.barebones, latest version) will be fantastic.

Your experience?
Old 10-06-2017, 12:09 PM   #4
fbrzvnrnd
Fanatic
fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrzvnrnd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ONYX M96
I'm using Opera. I find it more stable than Chrome and Dolphin.
fbrzvnrnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2017, 03:52 PM   #5
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
Opera, but I also try others: Naked Browser (minimalistic and very small, has plenty of programmable gestures), Via Browser, Rocket Browser (looks like it has a black&white mode I keep meaning to try). I previously liked UC Browser for the gestures, but some updates to it turned me off. CM Browser was also pretty good, but made by the guys that make CleanMaster, so probably full of adware. An interesting one is Text Browser.

Seems most people use Chrome, Puffin, Lightning or Dolphin.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-31-2017, 03:47 AM   #6
utkarshj
Enthusiast
utkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-booksutkarshj has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 7
Chrome: Renders best but worst battery. Use for sites like google drive. No fullscreen toggle
Firefox: too clunky
Opera Mini: OKish
Dolphin: Okish (has fullscreen mode)
UC Mini: Best (using as primary)
Pros: navigation via page turn buttons, good rendering
fullscreen toggle, fast mode toggle, low battery usage.
smooth scrolling like A2 even in quality mode
start page: extra news, cards and other crap can be removed to only show bookmarks.
Manual exit, unlike chrome that needs to be backed out, or closed by touching home when not in fullscreen.
Cons: Security and privacy might be doubtful.

Sent from my C67ML_Carta using Tapatalk
utkarshj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 08:38 AM   #7
M_Faust
Zealot
M_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litterM_Faust doesn't litter

Device: PocketBook 912, Onyx Boox Max, Max 3
I am using Habit browser. Many settings, support themes, scaling text (Android 4.0.4 and under).
M_Faust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:08 AM   #8
mdp
Wizard

Pretty much required for web browsing on EPD is the abilty to contrast the folly of designers that believe that text paragraphs can be rendered as darky grey on lighter grey.

These, for example, includes Wikipedia - not just your ordinary shop window website.

So, on Lighting, you have a miraculous option on
Settings > Advanced > Rendering Mode: ( Normal | Inverted | ... | Increase Contrast )

On Firefox, you can use an add-on named Blacken.
Old 01-30-2018, 05:45 AM   #9
alcedo
Enthusiast
alcedo doesn't litteralcedo doesn't litter

Device: bug
I wanna mention there is elinks on termux.
It's text only highly configurable but has a steep learning curve.
It needs colour configuration, for that press ESC as often as needed in order to bring up menu bar,
then go to setup etc.
Besides that I think the onyx browser is quit good.
alcedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2018, 04:29 PM   #10
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
For n96ml+ the best I've found so far are

Opera mini beta--doesn't alert the evil refresh after scrolliing in a2?
Lightning browser--as advertised.

Edit: I'm using dolphin now. Doesn't trigger refresh, on screen zoom buttons, physical buttons do pgup/dn.

Last edited by Waiting4somethin; 04-25-2018 at 06:41 PM.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 01:39 AM   #11
mdp
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp View Post
On Firefox, you can use an add-on named Blacken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Question Mark View Post
I tried the Blacken add-on which mdp had mentioned in that thread. Unfortunately, it didn't seem to respond very well on my Note so I uninstalled it.

However, I found another add-on for Firefox, Legibility, which seems to work fairly well for me.
From: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=296645
Old 04-30-2018, 06:30 AM   #12
SnowRipple
Zealot
SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SnowRipple ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Note Pro
I was using Black&White browser which is doing great job apart that it cannot print webpages as pdfs..
SnowRipple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2018, 08:31 AM   #13
Waiting4somethin
Addict
Waiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the roughWaiting4somethin is a jewel in the rough

Device: Wexler Flex One, NookST, n96ml+
Most browsers seem to be derivitives of the lightning browser or engine, or behave in a similiar fashion at the least. Which is not suited for my purposes, I would ideally like a fork of opera mini beta or dolphin.
Waiting4somethin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2018, 09:43 PM   #14
citytrader
Connoisseur
citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!citytrader is faster than a rolling 'o,' stronger than silent 'e,' and leaps capital 'T' in a single bound!

Device: BOOX Note
Firefox + Legibility is pretty great for Note !!
citytrader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 10:40 AM   #15
mossblaser
mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.mossblaser can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Boox M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by citytrader View Post
Firefox + Legibility is pretty great for Note !!
Are you using Firefox in A2 mode? I've found if you don't use A2 mode the screen will sometimes not redraw when you scroll. Its a real shame as A2 mode is not great for reading but otherwise firefox could be lovely.
mossblaser is offline   Reply With Quote