Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-29-2013, 07:12 AM   #1
Vortex
Groupie
Vortex began at the beginning.

Device: Likebook Mars
Set File associations to the portable viewer?

I'm using Calibre portable so I can use it on my desktop pc and my tablet that I read on. When I try and set any file associations - for instance for epub's or mobi's - windows 7 wont do it, is this intentional because it's 'mobile'?
Also I seem to have two different themes for the viewer, one when I open a book from within Calibre's main program and a different one if I open ebook-viewer.exe
Vortex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 AM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
I'm using Calibre portable so I can use it on my desktop pc and my tablet that I read on. When I try and set any file associations - for instance for epub's or mobi's - windows 7 wont do it, is this intentional because it's 'mobile'?
I run calibre portable through Dropbox and have no problem associating the viewer with epubs, but my Dropbox is on a local drive. It could be against Windows 7 rules to associate a file with any program on a removable drive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vortex View Post
Also I seem to have two different themes for the viewer, one when I open a book from within Calibre's main program and a different one if I open ebook-viewer.exe
Not too surprising. When opened via calibre it uses the settings in calibre's configuration folder. When opened separately via the OS it would seem it uses info from and saves info to C:\Users\username\AppData\Roaming\calibre\.

You can always copy the viewer.json file from your calibre configuration folder to the path I cited and then they should be the same.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 01-29-2013 at 07:58 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #3
Vortex
Groupie

Thanks, Doc. I am using it from a local drive. When I try to set the file association in windows 7 I don't get any error message it just wont add ebook-viewer to the list in open-with. I tried moving Calibre Portable's folder into the program files folder but it still refuses.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:51 PM   #4
Vortex
Groupie

I've tried a fresh installation of portable and it still refuses to associate ebook formats with the viewer. I can drag an ebook icon onto the ebook-viewer.exe icon and it will open it.
Maybe this is one for the Windows 7 forum...
Old 01-29-2013, 02:00 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Search your registry for an existing file association to ebook-viewer delete it and you will be fine. Or run a registry cleaner.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #6
Vortex
Groupie

Sorted! Thanks Kovid.