Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 08-28-2018, 11:45 AM   #31
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDreamer View Post
Actually, Amazon could do better in a sale.... in an Amazon Lightning sale, I had gotten a 2nd Gen Paperwhite for $20 (wish they'd do a deal like that again, since I lost that e-reader...)

The Dreamer
Sure. But there's a difference between a lightning sale and Amazon permanently lowering the price of their most popular e-reader in response to Kobo's Aura 2nd Edition being sold at Walmart for $100.00.

I don't think that will happen, but I'd be okay with being wrong, I guess.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 12:27 PM   #32
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
Sure. But there's a difference between a lightning sale and Amazon permanently lowering the price of their most popular e-reader in response to Kobo's Aura 2nd Edition being sold at Walmart for $100.00.

I don't think that will happen, but I'd be okay with being wrong, I guess.
I'm thinking that at 3+ years old and counting, the Paperwhite 3 is getting "long in the tooth." Sooner or later Amazon is going to upgrade it. When that happens I can see the new "Paperwhite" competing with the Clara and the "old" Paperwhite competing with the Aura. They did this when they released the first Paperwhite, reduced the price of the Touch and stuck with it for around for a year or two.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2018, 01:24 PM   #33
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
I'm thinking that at 3+ years old and counting, the Paperwhite 3 is getting "long in the tooth." Sooner or later Amazon is going to upgrade it. When that happens I can see the new "Paperwhite" competing with the Clara and the "old" Paperwhite competing with the Aura. They did this when they released the first Paperwhite, reduced the price of the Touch and stuck with it for around for a year or two.
I don't see Amazon selling two Paperwhites at the same time, especially since they don't emphasize the numbering.

If anything I suspect they will release a new Paperwhite and bump up the specs on the basic, possibly with a light.
Old 08-29-2018, 12:45 PM   #34
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I doubt Amazon are bothered. Mr Bezos has said in the past that the PW is sold at cost price. Amazon make money from content sales.
When a company talks about cost price they're including development costs and those have long since been amortized. They're a significant part of the cost. So my guess is that Paperwhite sales are profitable these days even before we buy content.

Please don't take this as a complaint. I have a Voyage and a Paperwhite and personally I prefer the Paperwhite. I think it's worth every penny and if Amazon is making money on their sales that's fine with me.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 05:48 PM   #35
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
I was told yesterday Walmart is only getting so many in for this $99 introductory price for the Aura 2nd edition. They got XX amount of cards in for the display with the $99 price. Then they got Twice that many with the $120 price. Also was told its Walmart that lowered the price & Only Walmart.

I asked if they were lowering the Clara price said he would not know till it got here. Next week hopefully
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:11 PM   #36
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Looking on the Walmart site, the Clara has a "Best Seller" indicator. So much for the Paperwhite having to compete with the Aura Ed 2.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:33 PM   #37
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara1955 View Post
I was told yesterday Walmart is only getting so many in for this $99 introductory price for the Aura 2nd edition. They got XX amount of cards in for the display with the $99 price. Then they got Twice that many with the $120 price. Also was told its Walmart that lowered the price & Only Walmart.

I asked if they were lowering the Clara price said he would not know till it got here. Next week hopefully
Well, if that's the case, then it would definitely be a better idea for them to sell the Clara instead of the Aura. I know that if I was looking at both of them at full price ($120 and $130) it would be well worth the extra $10 for the Clara.
Old 09-07-2018, 07:34 PM   #38
rcentros
eReader Wrangler

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
Looking on the Walmart site, the Clara has a "Best Seller" indicator. So much for the Paperwhite having to compete with the Aura Ed 2.
Let's see what happens when Amazon renews the Paperwhite.

EDIT: And, oddly enough, when I go to Amazon I'm now being offered a Paperwhite for $90 if I enter in the "secret" non-transferable code — hint, it rhymes with "BRINDLE" — but I'm guessing this is a selective offering that Amazon does from time to time. I think they're just trying to get me to shut up about possible $100 Paperwhites

Last edited by rcentros; 09-07-2018 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-07-2018, 08:08 PM   #39
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Let's see what happens when Amazon renews the Paperwhite.

EDIT: And, oddly enough, when I go to Amazon I'm now being offered a Paperwhite for $90 if I enter in the "secret" non-transferable code — hint, it rhymes with "BRINDLE" — but I'm guessing this is a selective offering that Amazon does from time to time. I think they're just trying to get me to shut up about possible $100 Paperwhites
KRINDLE???????????????
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 10:27 PM   #40
HLS
Wizard
HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HLS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sage, Scribe, Boox Note 2 Plus, iPad Pros and Samsungs S6,S7,S8
Quote:
Now that we see Walmart is selling Kobo Auras for $99, do you think Amazon will counter with $99 Paperwhites?

And, I just thought of something, is it possible that the $99 Kobo Auras at Walmart will have Walmart ads? (That's a scary thought.)

On Startup it says walmart ebooks but other than that no adds thank god. I was hoiping Audibles would do down to 9.99 to match kobo walmart but not yet. I was going to go with kobo audible but when I found they do not sync with the ebook I changed my mind
HLS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 10:23 AM   #41
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcladyz View Post
On Startup it says walmart ebooks but other than that no adds thank god.
I'm assuming like any other Kobo, you can change the vendor and drop the Walmart eBooks logo if you choose to.

When the reader is asleep, does it show the book cover? Or the Walmart logo?
Old 09-10-2018, 12:36 PM   #42
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
I'm assuming like any other Kobo, you can change the vendor and drop the Walmart eBooks logo if you choose to.

When the reader is asleep, does it show the book cover? Or the Walmart logo?
If the reader is asleep, how would he or she know what is shown as the book cover?
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2018, 01:23 PM   #43
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwalker8 View Post
If the reader is asleep, how would he or she know what is shown as the book cover?
Sleepwalking? (Sleepreading?)

When I bought my Aura, the vendor was set to FNAC. When I set it to sleep, it would show the FNAC logo rather than the book cover. I'm wondering if the Walmart branded ones do the same?