Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-26-2010, 05:43 PM   #1
jxh11215
Connoisseur
jxh11215 doesn't litterjxh11215 doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 1 & Kindle 2
Let the speculation begin

Rumors flew that the Kindle 3 would be announced in August. Well as of sometime today, Amazon has removed the image of the 6" Kindle off the home page and the only new ones available is a single refurbished model.

If no one else is speculating that the announcement is imminent--I am.
jxh11215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #2
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3G Graphite, Kindle Fire
Well, the picture and everything else is still there, but it's shown as temporarily out of stock.

Not surprising, as Amazon reported that Kindle sales tripled since their price cut. Of course, maybe that was to clear out the remaining Kindle 2s so they could introduce the Kindle 3.
TomF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:11 PM   #3
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Certainly sounds like it... The question is, because I just got a Kindle 2i around a week ago, should I take mine back? I still have 3 weeks, maybe they'll anounce/release the Kindle 3 before my time to take it back is up.
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:15 PM   #4
rcuadro
Wizard
rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcuadro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle DX
well, you do have 30 days to return it so there is time to think about returning it
rcuadro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:18 PM   #5
poohbear_nc
Now what?
poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.poohbear_nc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Every Kindle Ever Made & To Be Made!
And the refurbished units are back - for $169.99 - clearing out back stock me thinks!

A 6" graphite model?
poohbear_nc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #6
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast
TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.TomF once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aleccj1 View Post
Certainly sounds like it... The question is, because I just got a Kindle 2i around a week ago, should I take mine back? I still have 3 weeks, maybe they'll anounce/release the Kindle 3 before my time to take it back is up.
If you're lucky, the Kindle 3 will be either announced and/or released within your 30 day return window in which case you can return it and order a Kindle 3.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #7
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post
And the refurbished units are back - for $169.99 - clearing out back stock me thinks!

A 6" graphite model?
At the very least, along with the new Pearl e-ink display. Crossing my fingers for more than that. And a price under $200!
Old 07-26-2010, 06:25 PM   #8
aleccj1
Techie
aleccj1 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 (3G + WiFi), Kobo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
If you're lucky, the Kindle 3 will be either announced and/or released within your 30 day return window in which case you can return it and order a Kindle 3.
Thanks. Do you think it will be more expensive?
aleccj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #9
TomF
Kindle Enthusiast

IMHO, when Amazon dropped the price of the Kindle 2 to $189 they created a price expectation they can't retreat from. They appeared to drop the price in response to B&N dropping the price of the nook to $199 and introducing the nook Wi-Fi at $149. Sony e-readers are also already at $149 and $199. Unless the Kindle 3 has some incredible, never-before-seen technology or to-die-for features, they can't possibly price it above $199 and expect to sell any. Graphite and Pearl e-ink just won't do it.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:50 PM   #10
jxh11215
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by poohbear_nc View Post

A 6" graphite model?
There is a grand total of 1 reburbished model.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 PM   #11
abookreader
Wizard
abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.abookreader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles - Keyboard, Fire, 2-US, iPhone, iPAD
There is always only 1 listing for the refurbished model when they are in stock. When they aren't in stock, it disappears completely. It doesn't mean that they only have 1 refurbished Kindle to sell.
abookreader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2010, 07:40 PM   #12
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
Woo-hoo! I don't think Amazon needs to lower the price any further; they could even put it up to $199 to match Nook. The Pearl e-ink is supposed to be superior and maybe they've improved other stuff, like the blister keyboard.

Living outside the US, I'd like to see the ability to include pictures with magazines / newspapers / blogs. I'd probably subscribe to The Economist and The Atlantic and Harpers, for example, if the pics and charts came with.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:31 AM   #13
jxh11215
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by abookreader View Post
There is always only 1 listing for the refurbished model when they are in stock. When they aren't in stock, it disappears completely. It doesn't mean that they only have 1 refurbished Kindle to sell.
They're gone now (refurbs)
Old 07-27-2010, 12:45 AM   #14
brecklundin
Banned
brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.brecklundin is as sexy as a twisted cruller doughtnut.

Device: mine
jx:

just a fast...LOVE your happy avatar...nice to see a fun happy reader owner showing it off in their own way!!
brecklundin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2010, 12:54 AM   #15
captkjaneway
Cockney Sci-Fi Geek!
captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.captkjaneway ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Tab S 8.4", Samsung S6 Edge
Looks like it's still up for UK buyers - although out of stock. Am still able to add to cart and pay.
captkjaneway is offline   Reply With Quote