Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 11-01-2017, 08:48 PM   #46
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The reader design may not be the sleekest, but to me (and many other people) the rounded corners, fat bezel, embedded buttons and sunken screen of the Nook ST made it comfortable to hold and it could take abuse.

Not sure if this new model has those same benefits.
It looks a LOT like the Nook Simple Touch which, in my opinion, is one of the most comfortable eReaders to hold and use. I'm very happy to see Barnes & Noble is not (yet) abandoning the eInk device business.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 08:51 PM   #47
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I've never liked the rounded design and the bezel is huge. Plus it just looks ugly.
You've expressed your opinion many, many times. Consider it well known. Also consider the fact that not everyone shares your opinion. I happen to like the shape, it's easier to hold with bigger bezels.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-01-2017, 09:40 PM   #48
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
You've expressed your opinion many, many times. Consider it well known. Also consider the fact that not everyone shares your opinion. I happen to like the shape, it's easier to hold with bigger bezels.
I like the design too, but it's a no-go because I'm a diehard Kindle fan.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2017, 11:22 PM   #49
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by rem736 View Post
the dimensions for the nook glowlight 3 are 6.93" x 5.00" x 0.38".
the dimensions for the previous model (glowlight plus) are 6.40" x 4.70" x 0.34".
i think this is the first time i've seen a later model with the same screen size released but with overall LARGER dimensions instead of having the same dimensions or smaller. it is also not waterproof.
Quote:
This is the size of the new Kobo Aura H2O 5.08" x 6.77" x 0.35" with a 6.8" screen. So other than being roughly 2" wider, it's about 1.3" less tall. and you get a bigger screen. Plus, it is waterproof. And it has a variable orange light. The nook is either on or off.
But, what if the Nook dimensions were given in the order height x width x thickness, both the Aura H2O was width x height x thickness. That would change things wouldn't it?

Jon, you have effectively said that one of these devices is wider than it is tall.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:30 AM   #50
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
Quote:
Found a link that includes more shots, including the back. They didn't bring back the scalloped back that helped make the ST so comfy. Images at the bottom of the link here
Yeah, the shape of the back was nice. I was hoping this would be at least 7 inches. Likely would have bought it. Just can't help rooting for the underdog.

Can't justify 120 for another 6 inch reader however.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-02-2017, 02:11 AM   #51
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
This is the size of the new Kobo Aura H2O 5.08" x 6.77" x 0.35" with a 6.8" screen. So other than being roughly 2" wider, it's about 1.3" less tall. and you get a bigger screen. Plus, it is waterproof. And it has a variable orange light. The nook is either on or off.
Just perhaps since both devices are taller than they are wide going by the images I've seen, the Aura H2O2 was using width x height x depth while the Nook was using height x width x depth?

This would make the Aura H2O2 129mm wide x 172mm tall x 8.8mm deep while the Nook Glowlight 3 is 127mm wide x 176mm tall x 9.7mm deep.

This would make the Aura H2O2 a measly 2mm wider, 4mm shorter and 0.75mm thinner.

Those are some seriously oversized bezels given the difference in screen size.

Hmmm... 6" eInk screen active area is 90.6mm x 122.4mm. Assuming the bezels cover all but the active area of the display, that gives about 36.4mm for the sides and 53.6 for top/bottom. Assuming the bezels are symmetrical, that gives 18.2mm (0.7") for each side and 26.8mm (1.05") for top/bottom.

Same math with 103.68mm x 138.24mm for a 6.8" eInk screen active area would give the Aura H2O2 12.66mm (0.5") side bezels and 16.88mm (0.66") top/bottom bezels though the top/bottom are not symmetrical -- at a quick glance, it would appear that 12.66mm for the top and 21.1mm (0.83") for the bottom would be close to correct -- I'm not using calipers near the screen.

One interesting oddment is that the B&N webpage does not give the weight for the Glowlight 3 on their website.

Last edited by DNSB; 11-02-2017 at 02:15 AM.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:44 AM   #52
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Oh no! Does that mean the light stays off between sunset and sunrise?
Are you joking or serious?

Anyway, from TechRadar: Night Mode on the GlowLight 3 can either be activated manually or automatically, with the automatic option gradually changing the color of your 6-inch screen as day shifts into the evening hours.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 10:16 AM   #53
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Are you joking or serious?

Anyway, from TechRadar: Night Mode on the GlowLight 3 can either be activated manually or automatically, with the automatic option gradually changing the color of your 6-inch screen as day shifts into the evening hours.
Joking

Still, to me automatic color shifting to achieve some more "natural" lighting is also a joke. Any light at night is "unnatural".
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:07 PM   #54
raindog89
Connoisseur
raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.raindog89 can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Clara HD & Nook Glowlight 3
I was at B&N and tried out the Glowlight 3.
(Only hours after the announcement and the store was plastered with signage. It looks like they will be plugging this.)

A few comments in response to the comments above,
-- The worker claimed there will be 6gb available. That seems high and I forgot to check the storage in settings. But I would need a computer to connect to make sure.
-- The buttons are responsive. Certainly better than I remember on the NST. Also I don't remember the ability to double press to move by chapter or hold to move quickly.
-- The orange light is definitely variable, but only if you have the automatic setting off.
-- The offer is for only 1 issue of the periodicals.
-- The "Share" function is still locked out, so they haven't opened up the embedded browser yet.
-- Multi-tapping the Nook icon still opens the Android Developer Tools page, so I assume you can sideload apks in the same fashion.

I had just bought a refurbished NGP a week ago, and I guess I will return it and go for this. The huge bezel does look wasteful, but I prefer the look of this over the NGP. I would prefer waterproofing, and a slightly larger screen, but this is still a step up, for me at least. The light is nice.
raindog89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:51 PM   #55
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
I was at B&N and tried out the Glowlight 3.
(Only hours after the announcement and the store was plastered with signage. It looks like they will be plugging this.)

A few comments in response to the comments above,
-- The worker claimed there will be 6gb available. That seems high and I forgot to check the storage in settings. But I would need a computer to connect to make sure.
-- The buttons are responsive. Certainly better than I remember on the NST. Also I don't remember the ability to double press to move by chapter or hold to move quickly.
-- The orange light is definitely variable, but only if you have the automatic setting off.
-- The offer is for only 1 issue of the periodicals.
-- The "Share" function is still locked out, so they haven't opened up the embedded browser yet.
-- Multi-tapping the Nook icon still opens the Android Developer Tools page, so I assume you can sideload apks in the same fashion.

I had just bought a refurbished NGP a week ago, and I guess I will return it and go for this. The huge bezel does look wasteful, but I prefer the look of this over the NGP. I would prefer waterproofing, and a slightly larger screen, but this is still a step up, for me at least. The light is nice.
6GB would be sweet.

The bezel might look wasteful, but how does it compare to the Nook ST?

Is the screen sunken or flat?

Why don't I just go to B&N myself and answer these questions?
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 02:00 PM   #56
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by raindog89 View Post
Wait. You can side load aps on an eink device? Is this new, or did the Glowlight Plus do the same?
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 08:38 PM   #57
tdonline
Addict
tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tdonline ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW3, Nook Simple Touch
My local BN doesn't have the new Glowlight yet. Won't get it until the 8th. Associate didn't have a clue that there was a new BN ereader. Pointed to the GL Plus when I asked for the new GL 3. Had to call the manager for info. This is a new product release, why aren't employees clued into its existence? This BN is closing at the end of the year, maybe they've already given up.
tdonline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:35 PM   #58
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdonline View Post
My local BN doesn't have the new Glowlight yet. Won't get it until the 8th. Associate didn't have a clue that there was a new BN ereader. Pointed to the GL Plus when I asked for the new GL 3. Had to call the manager for info. This is a new product release, why aren't employees clued into its existence? This BN is closing at the end of the year, maybe they've already given up.
Well it makes sense that your local BN won't get the reader until the 8th--that's the date it's being released according to BN's website. But, you would think that the associates would at least have been briefed on it's upcoming release.
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:57 PM   #59
cgsmom
Addict
cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cgsmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook GL4+, Nook GL4e, Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle PW4, iPhone 14
Well, I won't be buying one because I switched to Amazon after BN made it hard to download ebooks. But, I would like to. I have a soft spot for the Nook.
cgsmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 07:36 AM   #60
Pajamaman
Wizard
Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pajamaman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Nova
Very nice looking e-reader. The Nook ST was IMO an excellent design and B&N has returned to it and improved on it. A colored light and decent button. Wow! In hardware terms, that's a paperwhite killer. Not sure how they compare on price. Shame no SD card slot. If this device can be rooted, I could see myself getting one at some point.
Pajamaman is offline   Reply With Quote