Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-28-2022, 01:22 PM   #1
Omichron
Omichron began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Oasis has lost all documents, but is still jailbroken (please help)

A while back (I think in May) I jailbroke my Kindle Oasis (10th gen) using WatchThis without issue. I installed koreader, and switched fully to using that for reading books.

This morning, all was still well. Everything still worked as it had for months. However, now nothing seems to be working. The KUAL booklet has disappeared from the library, along with everything other than a generic "kindle feedback" booklet that doesn't open. Even my Amazon-purchased books do not show up under "All". I've checked the filters, and this feedback thing is the only thing the kindle seems to know exists.

Testing ;log mrpi does show the "hush, little baby..." text at the bottom, so (I think?) I'm still jailbroken, but nothing else happens.

It hasn't done any OTA updates, and is still on 5.14.1.

In terms of internet connection, I've used wifi to send books from Calibre to koreader, but I haven't done so for a few days, and it's caused no issues before.

What's going on? How do I get KUAL (and my precious koreader!) back?

Any help would be appreciated.
Omichron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 01:44 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Can you mount the kindle as USB mass storage on a computer and see any files?
j.p.s is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-28-2022, 02:15 PM   #3
Omichron

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Can you mount the kindle as USB mass storage on a computer and see any files?
Yes, and all my books (and things like my Audible downloads) are where I'd expect them to be. Can't seem to find any log files, though.
Old 11-28-2022, 02:24 PM   #4
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Have you tried a restart?
Old 11-28-2022, 02:38 PM   #5
Omichron

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Have you tried a restart?
Yes, with no observable changes.
Advert
Old 11-28-2022, 03:09 PM   #6
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omichron View Post
Yes, with no observable changes.
I'm out of ideas.
Old 11-28-2022, 03:53 PM   #7
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3W, PW4
Are you still logged into your Amazon account? If not, log in. If so, perhaps try logging out and then back in. Perhaps it would make a difference to logout, restart and log back in.

Sounds like something is goofed up in some index files used to support the interface given that you still see the files via the USB interface. Perhaps the tools with the librarian manager enhancement might be able to regenerate them if that is the case.

Dave
dhdurgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2022, 04:14 PM   #8
Omichron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhdurgee View Post
Are you still logged into your Amazon account? If not, log in. If so, perhaps try logging out and then back in. Perhaps it would make a difference to logout, restart and log back in.
This brought back my Amazon purchases, but still no sign of KUAL. (For reference, I was still signed in to my account, so something must have gone wrong there)

Quote:
Perhaps the tools with the librarian manager enhancement might be able to regenerate them if that is the case.
Where can I find these tools?
Old 11-28-2022, 04:21 PM   #9
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

[QUOTE=dhdurgee;4277365]Are you still logged into your Amazon account? If not, log in. If so, perhaps try logging out and then back in. Perhaps it would make a difference to logout, restart and log back in.
/QUOTE]

How did you know that might make a difference?
Old 11-28-2022, 04:29 PM   #10
Omichron

Going through the files, I noticed that now there was no files named KUAL (aside from KUAL.cfg). There definitely was something before logging out and in, so it must have purged the KUAL booklet during that process.

Having noticed that, I have re-installed KUAL using mrpi, which seems to have worked - all the entries that used to be in KUAL still are, and koreader launches again.

After a bit more poking around, all my settings and everything looks to be as they were. If I discover anything wrong, I'll post an update here.

Now that it's working again, what would be the best way to find logs so that the underlying problem can be identified?
Old 11-28-2022, 04:36 PM   #11
dhdurgee
Guru
dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dhdurgee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

[QUOTE=j.p.s;4277375]
Quote:
/QUOTE]

How did you know that might make a difference?
Partially a guess, but my memory was that that one listed file he reported was all that I saw with a brand new Kindle before I logged it into my account.

Dave
Old 11-28-2022, 04:40 PM   #12
dhdurgee
Guru

Quote:
This brought back my Amazon purchases, but still no sign of KUAL. (For reference, I was still signed in to my account, so something must have gone wrong there)

Where can I find these tools?

I might be wrong, but take a look into this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ight=librarian

Dave
Old 11-28-2022, 07:16 PM   #13
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Now that it's working again, what would be the best way to find logs so that the underlying problem can be identified?
Try typing ";dm" in the search bar without the quotes and don't forget the semicolon.
I think the results go in the documents directory. Have a look at the /usr/bin/dm.sh script.

See also:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch_Hacking
specifically:
https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kin..._Bar_Shortcuts

and

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=285118