Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-24-2011, 03:08 AM   #1
daxp
daxp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
How to correctly change language metadata of a dictionary?

I've downloaded a German-English dictionary from here, but I cannot get it to show up as anything other than an English dictionary. I've installed Mobi2Mobi, it says it's German. Calibre says it's German. The only thing I've found that disagrees is my Kindle. I'm probably missing something rather simple, especially since it's late...but I just can't see what.

And on a completely different and considerably less important note, is there a reason the kindle seems to only display Amazon Local ads on the home screen or screensaver? It did that at first, then the first and only local ad expired and they all changed. Now a new local ad has downloaded and they don't change again. o.O
daxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 05:33 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by daxp View Post
I've downloaded a German-English dictionary from here, but I cannot get it to show up as anything other than an English dictionary. I've installed Mobi2Mobi, it says it's German. Calibre says it's German. The only thing I've found that disagrees is my Kindle. I'm probably missing something rather simple, especially since it's late...but I just can't see what.
Unfortunately the dictionary creator didn't use the correct language codes for the source and target languages.
In the German-English.opf file, he defined both input and output languages as English:

Code:
<DictionaryInLanguage>en-us</DictionaryInLanguage>
<DictionaryOutLanguage>en-us</DictionaryOutLanguage>
This means that this dictionary will never work as a lookup dictionary on a Kindle.
However, since his dictionaries were GPL 2 licensed, you can fix his mistake:

1. Unpack the .mobi file and change the languages in the German-English.opf file as follows:

Code:
<DictionaryInLanguage>de</DictionaryInLanguage>
<DictionaryOutLanguage>en</DictionaryOutLanguage>
2. Re-compile the mobi file with Mobipocket Creator.

(You can edit the .opf file directly or simply double-click the .opf file and change the languages in the Book Settings dialog box.)

Last edited by Doitsu; 10-24-2011 at 05:35 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-24-2011, 07:29 AM   #3
daxp
daxp began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
That worked perfectly! Thanks a lot!
daxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 10:29 AM   #4
welshy0204
welshy0204 began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4 :(
how to compile an OPF file and HTML file into a MOBI file

HI, i downloaded a dictionary and unpacked it using 7zip, corrected the .OPF file so that the dictionary is set to polish, not english, but I can't find how to re-compile file as an MOBI. I cant see any option in Mobipocketcreator, just to create a new one (but i can't add original OPF file - it creates a new one)

is there an easy way to recompile the 2 files back to a MOBI file?

Thanks in advance
welshy0204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 11:05 AM   #5
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Select Book settings from the View menu, enable the This eBook is a dictionary option and select the correct dictionary input and output languages.
If you don't see these options you'll need to download the Publisher Edition of Mobipocket Creator.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mobidic.JPG
Views:	820
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	80504  
Advert
Old 12-29-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
welshy0204

just in case you know, will the Kindle 4 automatically recognise the file automaticall as a dictionary when I'm reading polish resources (news meagaines for example)

and

is there any way of making a .mobi instead of a .prc?

thanks

sorry for the (probably) elementary quesions
Old 12-29-2011, 12:41 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by welshy0204 View Post
and

is there any way of making a .mobi instead of a .prc?
Yes.
Rename the .prc to .mobi.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 12:45 PM   #8
welshy0204

7zip wont open that (even if i rename it to a .mobi) so does that mean they're not the same?
Old 12-29-2011, 12:59 PM   #9
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
7zip won't open a mobi binary anyway (only the source portion of a mobi generated by kindlegen can be "unzipped"). A mobi (.mobi, .prc, .azw) is a binary file that must be decompiled/unpacked... not unzipped.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 01:04 PM   #10
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by welshy0204 View Post
will the Kindle 4 automatically recognise the file automaticall as a dictionary when I'm reading polish resources (news meagaines for example)
If both the language code of the Polish files and the dictionary input language is set to Polish, the Kindle should automatically select the Polish dictionary. However, some Kindle 4 users reported dictionary selection problems that might require you to set the Polish dictionary as the default dictionary.
Old 12-29-2011, 01:10 PM   #11
welshy0204

there soesnt seem to be the same "set default dictionary" like there was on the kindle 3 - i used this on my mums, but on my kindle 4 the option just isnt there have they changed the menu for changing the dictionary for the kindle 4 or something?
Old 11-08-2012, 12:17 PM   #12
markvdvelde
Connoisseur
markvdvelde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Hello,
I set German-English to Primary Dictionary, but the Oxford version still pops up.

I tried to change the input language to German, but I don't know how to do this. I installed the Mobiunpack plug in for Calibre, but that doesn't help me much. Is it possible for someone to upload the modified German-English dictionary with the correct input language? I downloaded the dictionary today and the same bug exists that people were complaining about a year ago.

Thanks!

P.S. I have a Kindle keyboard
markvdvelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:23 PM   #13
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markvdvelde View Post
I set German-English to Primary Dictionary, but the Oxford version still pops up.
If the English dictionary pops up, most likely the document language of your book is set to English.
(You can check and modify the language codes of ebooks and dictionaries with the Java Mobipocket Metadata Editor.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by markvdvelde View Post
Is it possible for someone to upload the modified German-English dictionary with the correct input language
If you're referring to the input language code problem with the German-English dictionary by Michael Sheldon, it was fixed a long time ago.
Old 11-09-2012, 05:17 AM   #14
markvdvelde
Connoisseur
markvdvelde began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
If the English dictionary pops up, most likely the document language of your book is set to English.
That was it! Thank you very much.
markvdvelde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2012, 12:01 PM   #15
miquele
Connoisseur
miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.miquele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Kindle 3, Kindle PW, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doitsu View Post
2. Re-compile the mobi file with Mobipocket Creator.
Hi Doitsu,
apologies for my noob-question: how do I recompile this? Do I select the HTML option in mobi-creator and then the html file? Will creator recognize the opf file then?
Any light on this would be cool, thanks!

Update: never mind my Q please, I did realize the double-click bit too late. Thanks!

Last edited by miquele; 11-25-2012 at 12:05 PM. Reason: Update
miquele is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dictionary, kindle