Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-13-2017, 03:02 PM   #2581
Trigun
Connoisseur
Trigun began at the beginning.

Device: kindle pw3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
It probably isn't included in the default build of Amazon's busybox.

Is it included with the USBnetworking package?
NiLuJe puts a lot of "extras" in the USBnetworking package, and I don't keep track of them all.
Or is this something you built or got from somewhere else.

Maybe it is not lying to you, perhaps the document you try to access isn't in the web root.
Check those things.
i'm using busybox in usbnetworking
that package have httpd but i think isn't the same of kindle 4 bc i tried this http://www.instructables.com/id/Kind...trol/?ALLSTEPS and i'm failing :-D

from this post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=126128 another guy was with error 403 till he updated on 0.3x ...but pw fork is behind (with version number)
Trigun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 04:35 PM   #2582
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trigun View Post
i'm using busybox in usbnetworking
that package have httpd but i think isn't the same of kindle 4 bc i tried this http://www.instructables.com/id/Kind...trol/?ALLSTEPS and i'm failing :-D

from this post https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=126128 another guy was with error 403 till he updated on 0.3x ...but pw fork is behind (with version number)
For the PW-2, get your USBnetworking from NiLuJe's snapshots thread.

Did you do Step #4 at the first, above link?
How did you set the options?
Are you using the serverstart.sh script?
How? Kite, KUAL, via networking (and which)?
How are you trying to access the server, Wifi, USBnetworking?
(It makes a difference to the firewall settings).
Also, the IP address is not the same on Wifi and USBnetworking.

Please remember that I can not see over your shoulder.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2017, 05:28 PM   #2583
Trigun
Connoisseur

Quote:
For the PW-2, get your USBnetworking from NiLuJe's snapshots thread.

Did you do Step #4 at the first, above link?
How did you set the options?
Are you using the serverstart.sh script?
How? Kite, KUAL, via networking (and which)?
How are you trying to access the server, Wifi, USBnetworking?
(It makes a difference to the firewall settings).
Also, the IP address is not the same on Wifi and USBnetworking.

Please remember that I can not see over your shoulder.
1- i have usbnet from the first post of this 3d
2- i did all of that guide ^_^ on the last step i got the httpd.config i tried removing the /cgi-bin line too ... but same result
3- yes
4- from ssh just ./serverstart.sh
5- didn't understand.. kindle is wifi (:-P) 192.168.0.167 (dhcp locked), my computer is eth (192.168.0.2) i can access to kindle with usbnetworking in wifi mode .. so the Allowed ip on httpd.config is ok ...

a few stuff from my kindle:
Code:
[root@kindle etc]# ifconfig
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          RX packets:5485 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:5485 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:1441954 (1.3 MiB)  TX bytes:1441954 (1.3 MiB)

wlan0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr A0:02:DC:A4:96:ED
          inet addr:192.168.0.167  Bcast:192.168.0.255  Mask:255.255.255.0
          UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          RX packets:119901 errors:0 dropped:5031 overruns:0 frame:0
          TX packets:21669 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
          RX bytes:40220689 (38.3 MiB)  TX bytes:2985456 (2.8 MiB)

[root@kindle etc]# cd /mnt/us/www/cgi-bin/
[root@kindle cgi-bin]# ls
b.cgi  f.cgi
[root@kindle cgi-bin]# cd /mnt/us/usbnet/etc/
[root@kindle etc]# cat httpd.conf | grep ^[^#]

A:192.168.
A:127.

[root@kindle etc]# cd /mnt/us
[root@kindle us]# cat serverstart.sh
#!/bin/sh
iptables -A INPUT -i wlan0 -p tcp --dport www -j ACCEPT;
/mnt/us/usbnet/bin/busybox httpd -h /mnt/us/www -c /mnt/us/usbnet/etc/httpd.conf
Old 03-13-2017, 06:11 PM   #2584
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Those directions where written before Amazon started using 'noexec' on the user storage area stack (it has a fuse system on top of the FAT-32).

You might have to move those cgi scripts to /var/local (partition 3) and mark them executable.
Then change the web-root to match.

Back in the K4 days, /var/local wasn't big enough (even for the K4's use).
Now it is around 64Mbyte and about 1/3 in use (depending on user's use).

Don't ask me how with Busybox httpd - I would have to start lying.

Last edited by knc1; 03-13-2017 at 06:18 PM.
Old 03-13-2017, 06:42 PM   #2585
Trigun
Connoisseur

if i get busybox (no idea how open the installer file) of usbnet for kindle 4 and replace mine you think i get problems with usbnet?
Advert
Old 03-13-2017, 07:17 PM   #2586
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
if i get busybox (no idea how open the installer file) of usbnet for kindle 4 and replace mine you think i get problems with usbnet?
No.
Use the USBnetworking package for your own device (they are model locked for a reason).

KindleTool is how you open both Amazon and Mobileread packages.
It can also create packages (with our signature, not with Amazon's).

Except for the signature, the packages are the same, since we use Amazon's installer.
(or at least we did before MrPI)
Old 03-14-2017, 05:14 PM   #2587
Trigun
Connoisseur

how i can refresh the timer of turn off kindle when i send a ssh command?
i don't want the kindle go in sleep mode when i'm using it :-D

*edit*
found
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd -i touchScreenSaverTimeout 1

Last edited by Trigun; 03-14-2017 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-14-2017, 05:39 PM   #2588
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
how i can refresh the timer of turn off kindle when i send a ssh command?
i don't want the kindle go in sleep mode when i'm using it :-D

*edit*
found
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd -i touchScreenSaverTimeout 1
Try:
lipc-set-prop com.lab126.powerd -i deferSuspend 1

Although you should never have to do anything.

As long as you have the USB cable plugged in and an ssh session up, it will never suspend.
That is a standard 'feature' of the Amazon OS.
It can still show a screensaver image, but it does not suspend.

Now a telnet session is a different matter, it does have a session timer.

Last edited by knc1; 03-14-2017 at 05:42 PM.
Old 06-02-2017, 07:50 PM   #2589
evanrmurphy
evanrmurphy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1
usbnet on Kindle PW1 and Mac OS X

Looking for help setting up usbnet on Kindle PW1 and Mac OS X. It's installed and seems to work up until `ssh root@192.168.15.244` or `telnet 192.168.15.244`. Both of these just timeout.

What I've done so far. I installed from kindle-usbnet-0.21.N.zip in the OP and have been trying to follow what's in README_FIRST. Running ;un does change the mode - I can see RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget connected in Mac's network preferences (screenshot below). It's configured to IP 192.168.2.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0. usbnet/etc/config is set to the defaults.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2017-06-02 at 4.41.41 PM.png
Views:	344
Size:	92.0 KB
ID:	157153

Does someone know why the ssh/telnet won't connect at this point? Thanks for the awesome tools and in advance for any help.

Last edited by evanrmurphy; 06-02-2017 at 08:30 PM. Reason: finished attaching screenshot, tweaked text
evanrmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 09:31 PM   #2590
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanrmurphy View Post
Looking for help setting up usbnet on Kindle PW1 and Mac OS X. It's installed and seems to work up until `ssh root@192.168.15.244` or `telnet 192.168.15.244`. Both of these just timeout.

What I've done so far. I installed from kindle-usbnet-0.21.N.zip in the OP and have been trying to follow what's in README_FIRST. Running ;un does change the mode - I can see RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget connected in Mac's network preferences (screenshot below). It's configured to IP 192.168.2.1, subnet mask 255.255.255.0. usbnet/etc/config is set to the defaults.

Attachment 157153

Does someone know why the ssh/telnet won't connect at this point? Thanks for the awesome tools and in advance for any help.
Yes, you wrote the answer in your post above.

subnet mask 255.255.255.0
That means the numbers in each all 1 fields (255) must be the same at each end of the connection.

quote:
I can see RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget connected in Mac's network preferences (screenshot below).
It's configured to IP 192.168.2.1
That is the Mac end of the connection's address.

quote:
It's installed and seems to work up until `ssh root@192.168.15.244` or `telnet 192.168.15.244`
That is the Kindle end of the connection's address.

Can you see the problem now?

Hint:

There is a tutorial here on how to setup USBnetworking on a Mac (with pictures IIRC), have you tried using that?
Old 06-03-2017, 06:27 AM   #2591
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
Why not go for SSHD? Thats pretty safer.... And when you have messed up with Usbnetwork you can yet connect to kindle with a USB cable as a normal mnt/us mount.. Its pretty easy to set-up. Check it here!

Last edited by baalajimaestro; 06-03-2017 at 06:37 AM.
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 08:46 AM   #2592
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalajimaestro View Post
Why not go for SSHD? Thats pretty safer.... And when you have messed up with Usbnetwork you can yet connect to kindle with a USB cable as a normal mnt/us mount.. Its pretty easy to set-up. Check it here!
Those directions are very old and for a keyboard kindle and a windows pc.

The OP is using a modern touchscreen Kindle, an adam's Apple and hopefully the current snapshot release of USBnetworking.

= = = =

Better:
Just above the entries of the index page, find the thread prefix filter.
In the drop-down box, select "tutorial" (or tools or ...), click the 'show threads' button.

Then find the much more modern "HowTo" directions that fit your current needs.

Something such as:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=201572
"USBnetwork & Paperwhite (Mac OS x)"
(How specific a tutorial do you need?)

Last edited by knc1; 06-03-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 06-03-2017, 02:29 PM   #2593
evanrmurphy
evanrmurphy began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PW1
Quote:
Yes, you wrote the answer in your post above.

subnet mask 255.255.255.0
That means the numbers in each all 1 fields (255) must be the same at each end of the connection.

quote:
I can see RNDIS/Ethernet Gadget connected in Mac's network preferences (screenshot below).
It's configured to IP 192.168.2.1
That is the Mac end of the connection's address.

quote:
It's installed and seems to work up until `ssh root@192.168.15.244` or `telnet 192.168.15.244`
That is the Kindle end of the connection's address.

Can you see the problem now?

Hint:
knc1, thanks for helping me understand what the subnet mask is for. I changed the Mac's connection IP to 192.168.15.245, so that both IPs now have the first 3 fields in common (192.168.15). Now it's working! Both the ssh and telnet commands work now. Much appreciated.
evanrmurphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2017, 02:39 PM   #2594
knc1
Going Viral

Quote:
Originally Posted by evanrmurphy View Post
knc1, thanks for helping me understand what the subnet mask is for. I changed the Mac's connection IP to 192.168.15.245, so that both IPs now have the first 3 fields in common (192.168.15). Now it's working! Both the ssh and telnet commands work now. Much appreciated.
Sometimes the answer can be right in front of you (or anyone).
It "just happens".
Old 06-05-2017, 10:46 AM   #2595
baalajimaestro
Expecto Patronum!
baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.baalajimaestro ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2(9017) 4GB, FW 5.7.4
@knc1: Mine works perfectly with SSHD through this method only! Mine PW2il(9017).
It must work on even more recent devices!
baalajimaestro is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
5.1.0, 5.2.0, jailbreak, kindle touch hacks, paperwhite, touch