Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Recipes

Notices

Old 11-09-2017, 04:38 AM   #1
inte
inte began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Exclamation Simple Passwort Authentification for RSS feed?

Hello,

I did some crossreading but the NYT-Example from the manual seems too complex for what I want to do.
I want to subscribe to:
http://www.darc.de/home/rss.xml
While the feed itself is not password protected, the articles require one to be logged into the website in order to retrieve the content.
I could not find a simple "log into the website first" example but I guess this should be feasible in python.
It would be really nice if someone could point me to one of those simple setup.
Thank you.
inte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 05:43 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
The log into the website section of the new york times example in the manual is about as simple as it gets. It's about five lines of code, see the get_browser() function which is all that you need.

Although from your description you want to perform HTTP auth, not cookies based auth. In which case, you should look at the documentation of python-mechanize,as the browser object in calibre is a mechanize browser object.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 06:14 AM   #3
inte

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
The log into the website section of the new york times example in the manual is about as simple as it gets. It's about five lines of code, see the get_browser() function which is all that you need.

Although from your description you want to perform HTTP auth, not cookies based auth. In which case, you should look at the documentation of python-mechanize,as the browser object in calibre is a mechanize browser object.
Jey, figured it out already.
The problem is that the form on the website neither has a name nor an id.
I eventually searched for the "action='login/'" part on the site.
Works fine now, great!
Now I only need to figure out how to configure my kindle not to sync everything I email to it into the amazon cloud...
Old 11-09-2017, 06:23 AM   #4
inte

Only one more thing: It appears to me that calibre would convert and send a document again even if it has not changed. Can I tell Calibre to check for changes prior to spamming my kindle with identical documents?
Old 11-09-2017, 06:51 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
recipes are arbitrary programs, you can do whatever you want in them. In https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...ad.php?t=70263 you will find examples of only downloading articles not previously downloaded.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
inte

Yes, obviously, python is (all)mighty ;-) I guess I already found some appropriate examples and will hopefully find some time for a closer look at the weekend. Thanks again for pointing me to the right direction :-)