Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 08-15-2010, 09:15 AM   #1
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
Embedding Book Cover images

I am a new user to Calibre - great program by the way, and I am feeling my way in to its more complex areas.

I have downloaded Covers using Calibre for various unprotected PDF and Epub files, they appear well in my Calibre set-up, but never seem to get transferred to the Sony prs300. I have emptied the Sony and resent the docs to refresh them but the jpgs do not seem to get embded in the files and sent or sent separately.

Can anyone tell me if this is even possible or do I have to manually edit the files with an ebook creator as well?

One other thing I would dearly like to see is that, if I make a change to a file which is marked as already on the reader and the reader is attached, then I would love the changed to be auto sync'd. If that is already possible in Calibre, how is it achieved.
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 08:49 PM   #2
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbwl View Post
I have downloaded Covers using Calibre for various unprotected PDF and Epub files, they appear well in my Calibre set-up, but never seem to get transferred to the Sony prs300. I have emptied the Sony and resent the docs to refresh them but the jpgs do not seem to get embded in the files and sent or sent separately.
If an epub has a properly set cover image in the file then using the send to device feature would update the cover with any new one you specified. If the epub does not have a properly set cover in it the easiest way to embed your cover of choice is by converting the file. Epub to Epub conversion could be used to properly place a cover in your book.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldbwl View Post
One other thing I would dearly like to see is that, if I make a change to a file which is marked as already on the reader and the reader is attached, then I would love the changed to be auto sync'd. If that is already possible in Calibre, how is it achieved.
What do you mean by make a change to a file?

If you are referring to metadata changes such as Title, author etc.. then that can happen now by having calibre set to Automatic Management under Preferences - Add/save - Send to Device.

If you are referring to changes to the content of the book itself then I think a manual resend is still required.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2010, 12:52 AM   #3
oldbwl
Zealot
oldbwl doesn't litteroldbwl doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-300
The epub to epub conversion and automatic management certainly solve some of the problems, many thanks.
oldbwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:40 PM   #4
Themus
Zealot
Themus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-booksThemus has learned how to read e-books

Device: Nook
ePub to ePub Conversion - Any Drawbacks?

I had a ePub that came over without a cover and so from reading this site, I learned to try to embed the cover by doing an ePub to ePub conversion. Which I took just to mean to re-convert it to an ePub again. It worked fine.

Is there any drawback to doing this? I have several to do and just want to avoid discovering any pitfalls down the road.

Once again, Calibre is the standard.!
Themus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 07:43 PM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
calibre's conversion completely re-organizes the interior of the ebook, while trying hard to preserve the look of it. It usually (at least in my experience, succeeds when going from epub to epub). So if you dont care about the internals of the epub file, then there are no drawbacks.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-09-2010, 07:54 PM   #6
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Kovid, how easy would it be to have an option to just embed a cover or replace an already existing cover, without doing anything else to the file.
And maybe update the metadata at this time as well.

I've carefully edited a few hundred epubs, and just having an 'embed cover' option would be great, without having to have calibre re-convert (and adjust) my carefully crafted editing.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 08:01 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
It's not easy, which is why the option does not exist. If your epub defines a cover properly (calibre created epubs do, as do epubs optimised for iTunes or produced by newer versions of Sigil), then calibre will be able to update the cover, otherwise, your only hope is to re-convert.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:45 AM   #8
Perkin
Guru
Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.Perkin calls his or her ebook reader Vera.

Device: Sony PRS-300, Kobo Aura HD, iPad (Marvin)
Thanks anyway Kovid. As a workaround, I store a copy of the original, do a re-convert, then explode it, copy out the necessary files, and copy them into an exploded original and make any adjustments. Then replace the re-convert with the adjusted original.
Can be quite quickly done, once you've done a few.
Perkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:35 AM   #9
ThR
Tatütatuter
ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.ThR could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Aura H2O, Glo HD, Paperwhite, PRS-950
Embedding a cover only with calibre within an epub - that would be a nice feature.

With the epub to epub conversion, I have the problem that calibre resets the font-sizes from e.g. small, middle, large to em-values, which results in some unwanted screen appearences.
ThR is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
auto sync, calibre, cover art, images