Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2008, 08:32 AM   #361
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Found a way to fix this: margin left/right in CSS, margin top/bottom in XPGT/XSL-FO. You'll notice that you MUST include a margin otherwise, you'll get display problems with the page numbers.

This highlight both problems with the current ePub standard, and with DE:
- ePub needs some standard way to control the layout of a page. I would recommend the paginated and generated content for paginated media modules in CSS3.
- DE should avoir displaying the page numbers, and the integration between XPGT and CSS should be better. You can crash your reader if you use oeb-column-number along with XPGT.

I've included an updated version of the template with this post.
Attached Files
File Type: epub Kadrey - Metrophage.epub (252.1 KB, 285 views)
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:33 AM   #362
mattgb
mattgb has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Aye, but ....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
Not necessarily through ebay. I didn't. If it happens, it can be up to €90 more. But it is not that usual. With B&H it is more likely to happen, since the parcel will be coming from a real shop.
I have had some poor experiences importing stuff from HK/China via eBay so, for me anyway, I would prefer to get from a real shop - especially for something this pricey.

I ended up paying about £230 for the reader plus leather cover + taxes/duty - and I've had it a couple of months now - so to get it 4 months early for around the UK RRP, then I`m more than happy

(And since I can also read technical manuals on the thing then this meant I could also buy it through my company - mwuhahahaha.... )
mattgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2008, 09:06 AM   #363
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Here's an example of an upgraded file (not online on Feedbooks yet). I don't know how I'll solve the margins problem yet, I must say that this number on the right column is pretty annoying and useless (we already got the page number at the bottom of the screen anyway).
Why not specify the top & bottom margins with the Adobe page-template and the left & right margins with CSS?
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:07 AM   #364
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by llasram View Post
Why not specify the top & bottom margins with the Adobe page-template and the left & right margins with CSS?
Well, check my last message: that's what I did.
Old 07-30-2008, 09:14 AM   #365
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Well, check my last message: that's what I did.
Oh, sorry -- started to reply, got distracted, then posted reply without checking for new messages. Wasn't just not reading the whole thread, honest!
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2008, 10:21 AM   #366
Peter Sorotokin
speaking for myself
Peter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it isPeter Sorotokin knows what time it is

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
For the chapter headers: previously, they were designed purely with sizes in em. This caused a few problems: with a very large font, the numbers couldn't be displayed on the same line and it pushed the title of the chapter to the right. Since this graphic element doesn't necessarily need to scale like the rest of the text, I moved this element from em to px. It'll always be displayed at the same size from now and should fix all the problems.
I would suggest using points or millimeters instead. Pixels on Sony mean real device pixels, if I remember it right. This is not sustainable for high-res devices and at some point the meaning of pixels will change.

Quote:
Margins are a different issue. In CSS, I can't control the top or bottom margin of a page (I need to CSS3 paged media module for this). Because of this, I decided to add an Adobe extension to all files on Feedbooks, with default values for the margin and multi-column display. Now, the problem is with those little numbers displayed on the right. If I add a CSS margin, they're displayed in the margin. But if I add a margin using XSL-FO (XPGT) they're displayed in the text area, rather than the margin, and they may be displayed over the text sometimes.
XPGT is OK, but not necessary in this case. We do have some paged media support. You can use CSS @page rule:

@page { margin: ... }

But in general, when people mention CSS3 in eBooks, my brain starts hurting. The current push in web standards seems to go in the direction of making it so convoluted that you'd have to be a pretty big organization dedicated exclusively to implementing that stuff to be on top of it. There are already more C++ experts than CSS experts, I think, and it's getting only worse.

Peter
Peter Sorotokin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #367
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
I would suggest using points or millimeters instead. Pixels on Sony mean real device pixels, if I remember it right. This is not sustainable for high-res devices and at some point the meaning of pixels will change.
Yes Peter, you're right. I'll change this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Sorotokin View Post
XPGT is OK, but not necessary in this case. We do have some paged media support. You can use CSS @page rule:

@page { margin: ... }

But in general, when people mention CSS3 in eBooks, my brain starts hurting. The current push in web standards seems to go in the direction of making it so convoluted that you'd have to be a pretty big organization dedicated exclusively to implementing that stuff to be on top of it. There are already more C++ experts than CSS experts, I think, and it's getting only worse.

Peter
Ok, it's nice to see some support for @page rule. Margin is not listed in the IDPF specs: http://idpf.org/2007/ops/OPS_2.0_fin...tml#Section3.3
Guess you decided to include some CSS3 properties after all ?
I agree that the status of the different web standards can be very complicated, but I really believe that support for at least some CSS3 modules would be very helpful. The generated content for paged media module is a very good example: it's very easy to add support for footnotes using this module, while currently, real footnotes are almost impossible to support in ePub.
Do you have a ressource listing all the CSS elements supported by DE ?
Old 07-30-2008, 10:35 AM   #368
Luigino
Groupie
Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nothing
If you maybe remember about a store in the UK for PRS-505 let me know.... :-)

Plus, from USA with UPS it would cost only about 41 dollars more....

Thanks...
Luigino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 01:39 PM   #369
methlp
methlp began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Calibre

Quote:
Originally Posted by soilwork View Post
Glad if they are helpful. You are right about PDF zoom. Before this firmware, PRS-505 also had only 2 level zoom but the zoom was almost useless. The new firmware brought two useful zoom levels but I wish it also has an option to make fonts thicker. The current firmware is a great enhancement in terms of PDF support but I still prefer output from Calibre (pdf2lrf).
Yeah I agree with the Calibre support. I think LRF in general, along with straight RTF, looks really great on the Reader. I didn't get that many opportunities to use Calibre since I only recently moved to Mac, then shortly after my Reader's screen got all screwed up while it was in my laptop bag (need to look into hard shell cases--if I decide to make the jump and get a new 505).
methlp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 02:20 PM   #370
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattgb View Post
I have had some poor experiences importing stuff from HK/China via eBay so, for me anyway, I would prefer to get from a real shop - especially for something this pricey.
Well, haven't we all? HK, China, Taiwan... are risky places to get tech but normally the prices are out right absurd. I got the Reader from a US powerseller. I paid like $270 and came through customs nice and easy. Now they are even cheaper on ebay. SonyStore maintains the $299, I believe.

But one thing is clear, one has to chose his risks. I thought that $30+€90 was worth the try. Got it in 6 days.

I broke my Dell Axim X50v last week and, since Dell has discontinued them, I am waiting for a new X51v from ebay.

So far my problems with ebay have come through customs or by my foult when giving a PO Box instead of my address (once each).
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 08:43 AM   #371
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder

Tried the margins with @page: the behavior is similar to XPGT for left/right margins. The page numbers are not properly displayed in the margins.

Moved the template from XPGT (top/bottom) + CSS on the body element (left/right) to CSS on @page (top/bottom) + CSS on body (left/right).

Hope that the behavior will be more consistent in a future upgrade (or maybe, add the possibility to remove those page numbers in the right column ?).
Old 07-31-2008, 09:34 AM   #372
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigino View Post
If you maybe remember about a store in the UK for PRS-505 let me know.... :-)
Waterstone's are currently taking pre-orders for early Sept.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:15 AM   #373
Luigino
Groupie
Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
Waterstone's are currently taking pre-orders for early Sept.
I wonder for the alimentation plug when needs to recharge if pluggable in Italy... don't remember even what voltage they have.... in Italy we have 220V alimentation and we have an insert like this:

http://www.science.unitn.it/cisca/im...sacorrente.jpg

also SonyStyle UK is giving pre-order forms....and I am also waiting for the Mentor's 6" coming out...
Old 07-31-2008, 02:05 PM   #374
gwynevans
Wizzard
gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gwynevans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 2, iPhone 6s, Kindle Voyage & Kindle PaperWhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigino View Post
I wonder for the alimentation plug when needs to recharge if pluggable in Italy
505's don't come with main rechargers, just the USB cable, as they fixed the issue with the 500's where you couldn't recharge them from USB if the battery was too low. For a mains charger, just get a 'generic' PSP charger - it'll work fine.
gwynevans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 03:23 AM   #375
Luigino
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwynevans View Post
505's don't come with main rechargers, just the USB cable, as they fixed the issue with the 500's where you couldn't recharge them from USB if the battery was too low. For a mains charger, just get a 'generic' PSP charger - it'll work fine.
Do you mean the 505's battery could be recharged by an usb connection to a normal PC?... If yes, then I have what needed.. :-)

Tags
adobe, digital editions, epub, firmware, pdf, prs500, reflow, update