Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad 3, iPhone 5, Kindle 3, Fire, Sony PRS-350
Bad Database Location on Install

Doing a virgin install on my laptop of 0.6.32 and getting a "Bad Database Error" on install. Calibre creates a "Calibre Library" folder under Documents and Settings\User, but also asks for the library location. Fails regardless of what I tell it. Install exits with various python-type error notifications. Also fails with 0.6.31. Also tried setting up various locations under the "Advanced" tab.

This is on an XP SP3 laptop on which Calibre has not been previously installed. Desktop computer is working fine with 0.6.32. Any ideas?
Timoleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2010, 10:35 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Create a folder called c:\library

Start calibre from the commmand line as

calibre --with-library C:\library
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2010, 08:09 PM   #3
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last
Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timoleon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

Still getting a nasty error:

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\main.py", line 424, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 418, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 405, in connect
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 457, in initialize_database
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 170, in run
DatabaseException: unable to open database file
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 141, in run
OperationalError: unable to open database file

Similar install errors with 0.6.17 through 0.6.32. Obviously something to do with my laptop, which is maddening because I've got a very vanilla setup on it. The only other thing I can think of is that I'm using "Microsoft Security Essentials" for the first time. I'll disable it and try another install...
Old 01-08-2010, 08:31 PM   #4
Timoleon
Time Enough at Last

Yep, Microsoft Security Essentials was the problem. Disable it for the initial installation, and subsequent installations will go well.

Now, back to Calibre!!!
Old 03-31-2010, 07:48 AM   #5
tobarefeet
tobarefeet began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 2
I use Win Vista and it wont allow me to creat a folder with this command

I have tried several times to install and everytime get a bad database message. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. still the same thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post

tobarefeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:24 AM   #6
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timoleon View Post
Yep, Microsoft Security Essentials was the problem. Disable it for the initial installation, and subsequent installations will go well.

Now, back to Calibre!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tobarefeet View Post
I use Win Vista and it wont allow me to creat a folder with this command

I have tried several times to install and everytime get a bad database message. I have uninstalled and reinstalled. still the same thoughts?
Did you read post 4 by Timoleon (quoted above)? He said he was using Microsoft Security Essentials for spam/virus protection and turning it off allowed him to install the app. Try turning your Antivirus off and see if it installs.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 01:40 PM   #7
tobarefeet

I will try that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
Did you read post 4 by Timoleon (quoted above)? He said he was using Microsoft Security Essentials for spam/virus protection and turning it off allowed him to install the app. Try turning your Antivirus off and see if it installs.

Last edited by tobarefeet; 03-31-2010 at 01:41 PM. Reason: change of mind.
Old 03-31-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
tobarefeet

I tried a fresh install with anti-virus off and still the same bad location while trying to create a book location. I plugged in my kindle at one point and saw the kindle show up on calibre, which was a tease since I could do nothing because of the error message. I
I dont know where to go from here?
Old 03-31-2010, 08:10 PM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
I tried a fresh install with anti-virus off and still the same bad location while trying to create a book location. I plugged in my kindle at one point and saw the kindle show up on calibre, which was a tease since I could do nothing because of the error message. I
I dont know where to go from here?
Calibre has this advice in the FAQ:
Quote:
Calibre is not starting on Windows?

There can be several causes for this:
  • If you get an error about a Python function terminating unexpectedly after upgrading calibre, first uninstall calibre, then delete the folders (if they exists) C:\Program Files\Calibre and C:\Program Files\Calibre2. Now re-install and you should be fine.
  • If you get an error in the welcome wizard on an initial run of calibre, try choosing a folder like C:\library as the calibre library (calibre sometimes has trouble with library locations if the path contains non-English characters, or only numbers, etc.)
  • Try running it as Administrator (Right click on the icon and select “Run as Administrator”)
  • Windows Vista: If the folder C:\Users\Your User Name\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files\calibre exists, delete it. Uninstall calibre. Reboot. Re-install.
  • Any windows version: Try disabling any antivirus program you have running and see if that fixes it. Also try disabling any firewall software that prevents connections to the local computer.
If it still wont launch, start a command prompt (press the windows key and R; then type cmd.exe in the Run dialog that appears). At the command prompt type the following command and press Enter:
Code:
calibre-debug -g
Post any output you see in a help message on the Forum.
I know this isn't exactly your problem, hopefully someone with more knowledge will be along soon.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2010, 08:53 PM   #10
tobarefeet

Did all of the above. Still get a bad database right from the start.
below is the error log

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\ui.py", line 472, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 460, in __init__
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 447, in connect
File "site-packages\calibre\library\database2.py", line 501, in initialize_database
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 152, in run
DatabaseException: table authors already exists
RemoteTraceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\library\sqlite.py", line 116, in run
OperationalError: table authors already exists
Old 03-31-2010, 09:38 PM   #11
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Did all of the above. Still get a bad database right from the start.
I'd like to help.

Have you created a directory c:\library as Kovid suggested?

After he suggested that, you wrote: "I use Win Vista and it wont allow me to create a folder with this command." He didn't give you any command to make a folder. Do you know how to make an empty folder?

If you've made that folder, is there anything in it? Kovid wanted you to start by making an empty folder c:\library, then he wanted you to start up Calibre from the command line with:

Have you done that? Do you need help with those steps? I use Win Vista and will walk you through it if you explain your problems.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 06:21 AM   #12
tobarefeet

Thanks for the offer. Every time I create a new folder in documents I get an error message saying can't use the characters :\ in the name. I've looked in Microsoft forums as well on that issue.
Old 04-01-2010, 06:43 AM   #13
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
THe C: part means on the C drive, and the \ means that a folder name follows. Therefore the suggested example was to create a folder called Library on the base of the C drive.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 07:58 AM   #14
Starson17
Wizard
Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Starson17 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: WinMo: IPAQ; Android: HTC HD2, Archos 7o; Java:Gravity T
Quote:
Thanks for the offer. Every time I create a new folder in documents I get an error message saying can't use the characters :\ in the name. I've looked in Microsoft forums as well on that issue.
Read itimpi's message above. Then make the Library folder on the root of the C drive. (It doesn't matter if you capitalize the name.) Let us know if you have trouble with that step. Once you have that folder, we can help you with the next step.
Starson17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2010, 09:10 AM   #15
tobarefeet

Okay, I tried again, created library folder. Still got the bad database using my PC with Vista. Then I thought about my new laptop with Windows 7.
I downloaded Calibre to my laptop.
It loaded right away with no problems!!!
I was very excited. There was the Calibre quick start guide. So I plugged my Kindle into the laptop and was able to move the Quick Start guide to my Kindle. On Kindle it looks exactly like the books I have bought from Amazon. I'm so frigging happy after 2 very frustrating days spending about 5 hrs on Vista.
There must have been a conflict going on with my PC.
I haven't tried to move the LRF books yet from laptop to Kindle, but I'm assuming that since the Quick Start guide went through that those books will as well. After work today I'll try it and post the results.
Thanks so much for the attempts at helping this noob to the e-book world.