Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 06-16-2009, 08:50 AM   #1
ckirchho
ckirchho is on a distinguished road

Device: none
css, non-repeating background image

Hello,

if I for example realize special list bullets by attaching a non-repeating background image to each list item of a list, then I have a display problem in ADE and Sony Reader.

When a list bullet goes over to the next page, then on that next page the background image is repeated again, letting it look - in this case - as if another list item starts, while in reality the actual list item is just continued.

This would apply to other elements that go over to the next page and have a non-repeating background image.

Would there be any way to correct this?

An alternative - as far as I see - would be to insert a specially classified span at the beginning of each item, and to define a background only for that span.

Best regards,

Christian Kirchhoff
ckirchho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2009, 08:59 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirchho View Post
An alternative - as far as I see - would be to insert a specially classified span at the beginning of each item, and to define a background only for that span.
I would do that, or include the image as kind of float with no real height/width.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-19-2009, 11:24 AM   #3
frabjous
Wizard
frabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameterfrabjous can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckirchho View Post
Hello,

if I for example realize special list bullets by attaching a non-repeating background image to each list item of a list, then I have a display problem in ADE and Sony Reader.
Why not just use the list-style-image property? E.g., put this in your CSS style sheet:

Code:
ul
{
list-style-image:url("mybullet.gif");
}
More info here.

I haven't checked how that looks in ADE or Sony Reader, but it seems like more "proper" CSS than using a non-repeating background image.

Last edited by frabjous; 06-19-2009 at 11:27 AM.
frabjous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2009, 04:35 AM   #4
ckirchho
ckirchho is on a distinguished road

Device: none
I didn't want to do that because of what is said in the following article:
http://css.maxdesign.com.au/listutor...troduction.htm

"HTML bullets can be replaced with graphic images using "list-style-image". However, the placement of these images is inconsistent across most modern browsers. There is also very little control over how the bullets appear beside the list items."

That's why I almost always use non-repeating background images.

Best regards,

Christian
ckirchho is offline   Reply With Quote