Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 08-01-2008, 05:02 AM   #376
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Yes, it will charge via USB from a PC.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:04 AM   #377
acidzebra
Liseuse Lover
acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acidzebra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luigino View Post
Do you mean the 505's battery could be recharged by an usb connection to a normal PC?... If yes, then I have what needed.. :-)
EDIT: I said any generic USB charger but Igorsk says no so I guess not
I thought it was charging on my Philips USB charger/battery pack but I could be mistaken - I'll attach it later to try.

EDIT2: If I attach my Philips universal charger/battery pack it shows the USB host icon on the 505. I _appears_ to be charging, but I can't be sure yet.

Last edited by acidzebra; 08-01-2008 at 01:44 PM.
acidzebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 05:22 AM   #378
Peto
Legal Alien
Peto doesn't litterPeto doesn't litter

Device: Sony PRS-505/T1/Kindle PW2
Quote:
Do you mean the 505's battery could be recharged by an usb connection to a normal PC?... If yes, then I have what needed.. :-)
You can get a second brand PSP charger from ebay (+-6€). That willl let you charge twice faster, and read while you charge.
Read post #26 from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=24487&page=2
Peto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 06:08 AM   #379
Luigino
Groupie
Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nothing
That's pretty interesting... now I'll wait till Mentor's comes out then I'll decide which one to buy depending from the price, even also 6" Mentor's should be pretty similar with 505 having the Adobe DE...
BUT, I read somewhere for 505, a PDF can be converted into a LRF format.... also if it's a PDF with images? like for example a mathematic book?...And does it read well once converted?
Luigino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 07:21 AM   #380
Peto
Legal Alien

Quote:
That's pretty interesting... now I'll wait till Mentor's comes out then I'll decide which one to buy depending from the price, even also 6" Mentor's should be pretty similar with 505 having the Adobe DE...
BUT, I read somewhere for 505, a PDF can be converted into a LRF format.... also if it's a PDF with images? like for example a mathematic book?...And does it read well once converted?
Woha!! That depends both on the facture of the pdf and the image types. Some work some don't (pdfs and images). You'll need to try each file...
Old 08-01-2008, 07:44 AM   #381
Luigino
Groupie
Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Luigino once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Nothing
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
Woha!! That depends both on the facture of the pdf and the image types. Some work some don't (pdfs and images). You'll need to try each file...
Uhm, at least, since I know 505's has Linux as O.S. is there something like a Foxit Reader for PDA's for Linux which could read directly PDFs?....
Luigino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 09:59 AM   #382
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Uhm, at least, since I know 505's has Linux as O.S. is there something like a Foxit Reader for PDA's for Linux which could read directly PDFs?....
All current E-Ink readers run Linux, but only the iLiad (and perhaps the Hanlin V3) allows you to install your own applications. The OpenInkpot project is building an alternative Linux-based image for some devices, but this won't (at least so far) allow access to the existing native applications. So if you boot OpenInkpot on a PRS-505 (when it is available for the PRS-505) you will get FBReader but not Adobe DE.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:07 AM   #383
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Well there are two tools for the PRS-500/505 that have radically different solutions.

PDFLRF. Turns the each PDF page, text and all, to an image, crops its boarders and boldens the text. The result is a very readable PDF but it's file size is exploaded.

Calibe(PDF2LRF): Which ONLY converts the text of a PDF to a LRF.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:08 AM   #384
llasram
Reticulator of Tharn
llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.llasram ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
All current E-Ink readers run Linux, but only the iLiad (and perhaps the Hanlin V3) allows you to install your own applications.
Well technically it's possible to run arbitrary programs on the Sony Reader, which is how igorsk et al were able to get the UI hack flashing working. Additionally, igorsk figured out much of the Sony UI interface and posted an "Unofficial SDK" -- last I checked it only supported Windows (e.g., the Sony eBook Library) but porting to the Reader itself wouldn't be insanely difficult.

So really it's mostly a question of how much work do you want to do to install your own apps .
llasram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 11:34 AM   #385
pjfan281
pjfan281 began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peto View Post
You can get a second brand PSP charger from ebay (+-6€). That willl let you charge twice faster, and read while you charge.
Read post #26 from here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...t=24487&page=2
is this the same as a gps type charger? i have a charger for my Garmin Nuvi that looks like a regular usb connector, but is part of an ac adapter used to charge the gps. it fits in the Reader, but I'm afraid to charge it that way since the reader was meant to be charged via its regular ac port
pjfan281 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:01 PM   #386
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
Yup. Or any generic USB charger.
I'm afraid this has been proven wrong by several posters. PRS-505 needs a real USB host, not just two wires with +5V.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:24 PM   #387
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
If you are looking for a charger system, I recommend the iGO system (www.igo.com). I think it was JS Wolf who turned me on to it. It consists of a main charger and then you buy plugs designed for the items you want to charge. Now when I travel I use the iGO set to charge my Sony 505, my cell phone, and my MP3 player. All I need do is swap the plugs rather than carry each items charger.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 01:27 PM   #388
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
If you maybe remember about a store in the UK for PRS-505 let me know.... :-)

Plus, from USA with UPS it would cost only about 41 dollars more....

Thanks...
You can pre-order a 505 from Waterstone's in the UK.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2008, 02:21 PM   #389
Peto
Legal Alien

Quote:
Mmmmm... Sorry, Dunno.
Old 08-01-2008, 02:40 PM   #390
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
XPDF: http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf/

The trick will be getting a version built for and installed on the PRS-505.
______
Dennis
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
adobe, digital editions, epub, firmware, pdf, prs500, reflow, update