Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRiver Story

Notices

Old 01-09-2012, 01:26 PM   #1
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Story HD Mod: Custom Screensaver Images (Update 04 Mar 2012)

Hi,

Warning: I tested this mod on my Story HD Basic, but I can't guarantee it will work for you. Use at your own risk!

it's possible to replace the Story HD's screensaver images with custom ones. I've done this successfully on my Story HD Basic. It should work for other models (US Wifi etc.) as well, but I can't test this myself. Unfortunately the number of images can not be increased with this method (it's four images in total).

The attached firmware update file moves the four images from system storage to the USB-accessible internal storage. It creates a folder /sleep/ which contains the four images, which you can then simply replace with other files (PNG, 768x1024, Grayscale).

To use, rename the attached storyeb07-screensaver.hex to storyeb07.hex and copy it to the internal memory (like a regular firmware update).

This change can also be reverted by using the attached Undo file. It will also delete the /sleep/ folder from internal storage.

Update 04 Mar 2012:
Screensaver images are now displayed without the slide-power-button-to-turn-back-on message. It was unreadable on half of my images and in the way in the other half, and I assume people who install mods already know how to turn it back on. If you miss the text just add it to the image itself.

Regards
frostschutz
Attached Files
File Type: zip storyeb07-mod-ScreenSaver-2012-03-04-Mar.zip (888 Bytes, 1165 views)
File Type: zip storyeb07-mod-ScreenSaver-Undo-2012-03-04-Mar.zip (1.28 MB, 1183 views)

Last edited by frostschutz; 03-04-2012 at 05:03 PM.
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 02:56 PM   #2
CJJ
Zealot
CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.CJJ can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: laptop, iriver Story HD, Galaxy Tab2 10.1
That's cool. I wonder how you would link "current book's" cover with this file?
CJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You can't, at least not with this mod, unless you put the cover there manually... besides there isn't always one (it might go to standby from the main menu when you're not currently reading a specific book).

Getting the cover is probably difficult, since it's stored differently for every book format. The Story HD stores a preview image (last book view) which could be used, but it's too low res to be useful.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:04 AM   #4
frostschutz
Linux User

The mod had a small bug (copied only one of the four images to internal storage, so you had to create the screensaver 02-04 files yourself), which is now fixed. I also added an Undo file that reverts / uninstalls this mod and reinstates the original screensaver images.
Old 01-24-2012, 12:41 PM   #5
sebarkh
sebarkh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I have 2 questions:

Can it be applied together with User Style Mod?
Is it compatibile with 1.28 fw (Basic)?

Thx
sebarkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #6
frostschutz
Linux User

The mods are unrelated to each other, so yes, should work, also with all firmwares since the files are in the same location for all...
Old 03-01-2012, 01:39 AM   #7
ctjameson
ctjameson began at the beginning.

Device: iRiver Story HD
Any way to keep the screen_saver_0x files out of my books list?
ctjameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 05:52 AM   #8
frostschutz
Linux User

...not if the story hd puts every single png file into that list...

I don't use a book list, I use the folder navigation, it's more comfortable for me (esp. after I configured calibre to create folders the way I want them to be)
Old 03-01-2012, 10:32 AM   #9
ctjameson
ctjameson began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostschutz View Post
...not if the story hd puts every single png file into that list...

I don't use a book list, I use the folder navigation, it's more comfortable for me (esp. after I configured calibre to create folders the way I want them to be)
Sounds like I need to go look into some options on Calibre then.
ctjameson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:12 PM   #10
frostschutz
Linux User

Small update. The images are now displayed without the "Slide and release the power key on the back of your Story HD to wake up." message. I daresay most people will be able to figure that one out by themselves, and it was either unreadable or in the way on my images.
Old 03-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #11
sebarkh
sebarkh began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Thanks for the update!
sebarkh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:18 PM   #12
rrcollier
rrcollier began at the beginning.

Can anyone confirm if this works correctly with US Wifi firmware 1.29?
rrcollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:35 PM   #13
TonKoo
TonKoo began at the beginning.

Smile This works on 1.31 german edition

I downloaded the v1.31 german firmware for the Story HD Wifi version. Installed in on a Story HD basic (without Wifi). That worked. Then I installed this very nice patch. That worked. I now can add my own sleep art.
So I gues this also works on a v1.29 US version.
Thank you for this nice patch. (by the way, I'm from The Netherlands)
TonKoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 04:45 PM   #14
frostschutz
Linux User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonKoo View Post
I downloaded the v1.31 german firmware for the Story HD Wifi version. Installed in on a Story HD basic (without Wifi). That worked.
That's quite dangerous. I did the same thing, worked for me too, but it bricked when trying to go back to the basic firmware. So you're stuck with Wifi firmware forever now and without Wifi you can't even upgrade. So I don't recommend this to any Story HD Basic user, esp. since there is no known way to unbrick the device (other than iriver service).

Besides, the wifi firmwares introduced several bugs which still aren't fixed today, but weren't present in the old 1.13 basic firmware. Same goes for annoying features such as the reading progress bar. Also the basic device was more responsive (didn't take that long to go to standby and back) than the wifi version.

This is just my personal opinion, but I liked the 1.13 basic firmware so much I'd put it on my Wifi reader in a heartbeat if I knew for sure it could be done without bricking.

Last edited by frostschutz; 07-13-2012 at 04:47 PM.
Old 07-14-2012, 03:02 AM   #15
TonKoo
TonKoo began at the beginning.

Thumbs up Thanks for the warning

Thanks for the warning not goiing back to the Basic version firmware and thus bricking the device. I didn't read the whole forum so I wasn't aware of that. Maybe I was a bit to eager to try this newer v1.31 firmware. I earlier read somewhere that you could flash the Wifi version on the Basic Story HD but dindn't know I could not go back.

I've installed your hyphenathion disabler and thought it didn't worked. But it does work. Thanks again for that. (it was a poorly made up epub with a lot of font tags in it in the middle of the words.

Thanks again for the warning. I won't flash the Basic firmware in the future!
TonKoo is offline   Reply With Quote