Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Ectaco jetBook

Notices

Old 04-19-2010, 12:59 AM   #1
jblitereader
Addict
jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.jblitereader is no ebook tyro.

Device: jetbook lite
Weaknesses and flaws of the jetbook lite

Just like every electronic device out there, after we use it for a while we become familiar with its strengths and weaknesses. We tend to brag about the strengths and avoid the weaknesses.

I am quite fond of my JBL, but there is no denying that this ereader has weaknesses like everything else. The purpose of this thread is for us to list the weaknesses and flaws of the JBL so that others can be aware of and avoid if possible. Hopefully, Ectaco will become aware of these weaknesses and flaws and will fix them in the future.

If you're going to list a weakness or flaw, please remember to be sensible. The fact that the screen is only 5 inches is not a weakness or flaw. The fact that it is tedious to read in pdf is not a weakness or flaw that only plagues this particular ereader. The fact that this ereader doesn't have wifi is not a weakness or flaw. The fact that you can't listen to your mp3's is not a weakness or flaw. The fact that it doesn't read the formats not listed in the specs is not a weakness or flaw. You get the idea.

I'll start. I guess just try to follow my format below for easy reading.

Weakness:

If you put your file in 3 or more layers of folders, when you try to open up the file the device will go into stall mode. It will display the hourglass for all of eternity.

Possible Solution:

Just don't put your ebook in a folder within a folder within a folder... 2 layers are plenty.

Last edited by jblitereader; 04-19-2010 at 01:01 AM.
jblitereader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 07:44 AM   #2
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
USB 1.1 for data transfer, it works but its so so slow if your moving very many books.

Solution, SD card and SD card reader/adapter. USB 2, transfers loads of files much faster.

As to the first one, I don't know if I was lucky or what. I never put books more than 1 level deep. Folders are Authors name, books by that author go in the folder, get transfered. Authors I want at the top of the list get a !,@,or # in front of their name.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2010, 04:20 PM   #3
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Having only one line for the book titles, for the books you add.

Solution: ?
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 04:59 PM   #4
GhostHawk
Data Privateer!
GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.GhostHawk goes to eleven.

Device: Ectaco Jetbook& Jetbook Lite
Solution:
Manually edit the titles of the books to remove authors name, shorten file name.
At least that's what I do.
GhostHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
Quote:
Originally Posted by GhostHawk View Post
Solution:
Manually edit the titles of the books to remove authors name, shorten file name.
At least that's what I do.
Me, too, but having two lines would make it neater.

I understand the original .txt books that came with the JBL have their
titles display in two lines. (I emptied them off the internal memory, so
I can't check that out without reloading them from my PC.) I have all
my books for the JBL on SD cards.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-20-2010, 12:22 AM   #6
Kris777
Banned
Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kris777 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, jetBook-Lite, jetBook mini, Toshiba Thrive, JETBOOK COLOR
Weaknesses?? I can't find any. jetBook-Lite is perfect for me
Kris777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 01:32 AM   #7
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by livingenzyme View Post
If you put your file in 3 or more layers of folders, when you try to open up the file the device will go into stall mode. It will display the hourglass for all of eternity.
By chance I setup my daughter's jetBook only two layers deep. Genre/Series/book I was going to add author in the middle once I got a sd card and had more books on the device. Maybe they'll fix this before I need it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Maltby View Post
I understand the original .txt books that came with the JBL have their titles display in two lines. (I emptied them off the internal memory, so I can't check that out without reloading them from my PC.) I have all my books for the JBL on SD cards.
The original text files ended up placing the Author (left justified) on the top and the Title (right Justified) just below it. Two lines in the same space.
Code:
Arthur Conan Doyle
                     The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Here is how the The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes was formatted.

Arthur_Conan_Doyle#The_Adventures_of_Sherlock_Holm es.txt

It doesn't work for ePub though.

Here is how one of the original fb2 files was formatted.

Ellison Ralph_Invisible Man.fb2

I don't recall how this looked on the device. But I think everything looked the same.

Last edited by DoctorOhh; 04-20-2010 at 01:39 AM.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:44 AM   #8
juardo
juardo began at the beginning.

Device: jetbook
Weakness:

JBL does not have free zoom ratio for reading PDFs. Zoom level increases in rather large steps: 400%, 800%, 1600%, .... Why isn't it possible to have a 530% zoom level so that the user can make the best use of the rather limited available screen?

Possible Solution:

None comfortable enough. But I think it would be very easy for ECTACO to update the firmware. The Foxit reader is already able to zoom at any level. But the user cannot enter the zoom level freely (he is restricted to the displayed options ... 400%, 800%, 1600%, ...)
juardo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 08:35 PM   #9
scarab1
scarab1 began at the beginning.

Device: Palm PDAs, ectaco jetBook, Nook Color
On my jetBook I shrink the font size in book listings so I get more text on one line. I find it easier to do that than to rename all my book files to jetBook's format.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
By chance I setup my daughter's jetBook only two layers deep. Genre/Series/book I was going to add author in the middle once I got a sd card and had more books on the device. Maybe they'll fix this before I need it.

The original text files ended up placing the Author (left justified) on the top and the Title (right Justified) just below it. Two lines in the same space.
Code:
Arthur Conan Doyle
                     The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes
Here is how the The Adventures of Sherlock Holmes was formatted.

Arthur_Conan_Doyle#The_Adventures_of_Sherlock_Holm es.txt

It doesn't work for ePub though.

Here is how one of the original fb2 files was formatted.

Ellison Ralph_Invisible Man.fb2

I don't recall how this looked on the device. But I think everything looked the same.
scarab1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #10
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarab1 View Post
On my jetBook I shrink the font size in book listings so I get more text on one line. I find it easier to do that than to rename all my book files to jetBook's format.
That's great advice, if I can get it away from my daughter for a second I'll give it a try.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:08 PM   #11
Ron46
Zealot
Ron46 doesn't litterRon46 doesn't litter

Device: JetbookLite, EB-1150, PalmIIIXE
I have been pointed out the weaknesses of the Jetbook on other threads along with many others and Ectaco is very slow to address any of them. My main complaint was lack of font types, adjustable line spacing, and margins.

But after 6 months, I have become resigned to "it is what it is" and finally have gotten used to the verdana font and wide line spacing. But I don't think I would buy any other reader but the Jetbook Lite. It's major strengths- the fast and brilliant Hitachi screen and the AA batteries outweigh ALL the negatives. I have just created work-arounds for most of the negatives. For example, I broke up Gutenberg's 18,000 page Webster's dictionary into 35 separate files (in one folder), and have learned to look things up in this superb dictionary quite quickly.

Don't hold your breath waiting for features coming from Ectaco. I think they are understaffed and maybe not interested in dominating the market, which they could do with a little more work.
Ron46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 05:44 AM   #12
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron46 View Post
But after 6 months, I have become resigned to "it is what it is" and finally have gotten used to the verdana font and wide line spacing.
I set mine to Arial. I like it better.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 07:03 AM   #13
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven522 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron46 View Post
But after 6 months, I have become resigned to "it is what it is" and finally have gotten used to the verdana font and wide line spacing.
I set mine to Arial. I like it better.
The Arial heathen dog must die!

Highjack thread alert!!!

Prepare for the Arial vs Verdana font flame wars....

Old 04-21-2010, 08:37 AM   #14
DJHARKAVY
Addict
DJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blueDJHARKAVY can differentiate black from dark navy blue

Device: Blackberry, jetbook lite
The biggest flaw that I have with my JBL is that after reading it at night, I sometimes forget to take it with me the next day.

OK... That and sometimes in the eReader format, it won't show pictures within a book properly.

But converting the book to ePub usually fixes that.
DJHARKAVY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2010, 09:15 AM   #15
steven522
binomial: homo legentem
steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steven522 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iriver Story HD; Archos 80 G9
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
The Arial heathen dog must die!
Actually, I would rather have the "comic sans" font. All those years of comic book reading makes it easier on me with it.
steven522 is offline   Reply With Quote