Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > HanLin eBook

Notices

Old 08-04-2009, 06:05 AM   #1
khilto01
khilto01 began at the beginning.

Device: none
ECOReader anyone???

Has anyone tried the Eco Reader yet? I'm looking at ordering it from DA Direct.
Thanks.
khilto01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 09:13 AM   #2
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i haven't seen any reviews yet, however i know a lot of people have gotten (other) readers from DA Direct and had excellent experiences ; they are highly recommended. and cbell (of DA Direct) is an active member here and very friendly and helpful, i'm sure she would answer any questions you might have. if you do end up getting one please let us know what you think of it.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-04-2009, 07:52 PM   #3
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

Device: iLiad V2
Thanks, Zelda! Hi khilto01, I've been evaluating an ECO Reader for the past month, reading on it for a couple of hours each evening. I love it! Its a prototype, as the ECO Reader isn't available yet.

We're launching our ECO Readers on 20th August, but we're expecting delivery of our first batch in a week or so. We're accepting advance orders (and we've received a lot already!)

There's more info at www.centralbookservices.com.au and www.dadirect.com.

We're also launching an Australian ebookstore selling popular fiction titles on 20th August, based on OverDrive, so it's very exciting times for us! DA's been selling books for over 50 years and we've been selling a small range of academic ebooks for several years.

The ECO Reader is the Australian version of the HanLin V3, supporting Adobe Digital Editions and Mobipocket non-DRM, along with all the other formats usually supported by V3s. ECO Readers come pre-loaded with 21 nicely formatted ebooks, many of them Australian titles.

ECO Readers have an Australian helpdesk at DA and we support the manufacturers' 12 month warranties for all our ebook readers.

DA Direct is the largest full-service library supplier in Australia. Based in Melbourne, fully Australian owned, we have branches in Singapore and New York. Central Book Services is DA's trade section.

Announcement at https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=52769

I'm affiliated with DA & CBS

Last edited by cbell; 08-05-2009 at 03:03 AM.
cbell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 03:45 AM   #4
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O, Voyage
Are there any plans to start selling the 5 inch?

I might have to buy an ECOReader for Adobe titles to go with my Hanlin for mobis.

Any word onthe date of th September meeting?

Laine
Laine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:42 PM   #5
cbell
Frenetic
cbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipsecbell can illuminate an eclipse

HanLin V5 (5" screen)

Hi Laine, Yes, we're selling the 5" HanLin V5. It's $359.00, incl GST, and we're accepting orders now. We'll have them in stock this week.

The V5 has Adobe DE ePub and PDF support, and all the usual HanLin formats, but there's no Mobipocket support at all.

The V5 has first-gen TTS (text to speech), but not for PDF or ePub.

We've taken some photos of the V5 using a beautiful ePub book created by zelda_pinwheel (thanks, zelda!). They'll be on our website early this week.

Laine, please feel free to suggest a date for our next meetup. You're the furthest traveller and I hope you can make it!

Attached photos of iLiad BE, V5 and ECO Reader displaying Jellby's Alice in Wonderland (thanks, Jellby!)

The next Melbourne meetup is planned for September.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=525122

All ebook enthusiasts very welcome!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	v5 and eco.JPG
Views:	733
Size:	201.7 KB
ID:	33816   Click image for larger version

Name:	3 readers.JPG
Views:	746
Size:	147.6 KB
ID:	33817  

Last edited by cbell; 08-07-2009 at 10:29 PM. Reason: Added meetup link
Advert
Old 08-08-2009, 01:55 AM   #6
Laine
Addict
Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Laine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The only dates that I have that I wouldn't like to miss are 8th (working at Embroiderers Guild) and 26th (theatre). I could easily arrange a swap at the Guild but the theatre is a small one and runs there are usually short.

I think you might have to reserve a V5 for me to pick up on my trip. I believe there is going to be eReader support soon and I have LOTS of eReader books from my years of reading on pocket pcs.

Looking forward to another Melbourne trip.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:12 AM   #7
cbell
Frenetic

Laine, redimech's requested a Sunday meetup. Would that suit you OK? Perhaps we could look at Sunday 13th or 20th September...

I can hand deliver a V5 to you I'll bring one along anyway, for show and tell.

If you'd like a pickup/dropoff at Mitcham station and lift to the meetup, that'd be no trouble at all, as we drive right past there.

I don't have any info on eReader support yet.

Something I really like about the V5 is the thumbwheel. Page turning is really responsive and totally silent, just a gentle flick up or down, no click at all. A gentle press on the wheel accesses the menus. It's a really good design!
Old 08-08-2009, 05:57 PM   #8
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
christine, can we make the meet up the 20th rather than 13th as I will be in Echuca from the 11th to 13th.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2009, 07:06 PM   #9
cbell
Frenetic

sianon, 20th Sept is good for me.

I'll bump the Melb meetup thread, as nigeldb and roytravis are organising this meetup. I'll send them both an email tomorrow, so they know we have a tentative date.

I love Echuca - hope you get time for a paddleboat cruise
Old 08-08-2009, 10:51 PM   #10
sianon
Addict
sianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enoughsianon will become famous soon enough

Device: Sony 500, Bebook, Kindle, Eco reader Drs and soon the Archos 9
Thanks Christine, yep will be out on a paddle steamer along with many other interesting opportunities, including a photo shoot in an old abandoned shearing shed, photo shoots at a lovely winery any much more.
sianon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 11:27 PM   #11
Laine
Addict

The 20th would be O.K. for me and I will definately want a V5.

By the way do you know the size of the screws for the V3? My screws and screwdriver disappeared in the 1st break in. (They opened the box but ha, ha, my HanLin wasn't in it.)
Old 08-10-2009, 11:58 PM   #12
cbell
Frenetic

I'll bring a spare HanLin screwdriver and spare screws you can keep to our meetup, Laine. I have a big box of spare parts on my desk. (If you need them urgently, I'll post them up to you.)

Just waiting on nigeldb's date/time poll. I think he's the only Melburnian who's ever created a poll, so that makes him our poll expert

sianon, your holiday sounds wonderful! I've just come back from Warrnambool and we had to keep stopping all along the Great Ocean Rd for photo ops.

Last edited by cbell; 09-28-2009 at 04:57 AM.
Old 08-18-2009, 03:25 AM   #13
tjeerd
tjeerd began at the beginning.

Device: BeBook
hi guys,
can not tell you much about the ecoreader as it is new and not even available.
I use the BeBook though and that is briliant. I can get updates for new software like the Epub DRM and I use it with mobipocket for RSS feeds. It is available in Australia as well. I would be hesitant to try a new brand, never know who is behind it and how well it is serviced, but it might be a good device, who knows.
tjeerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:42 AM   #14
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjeerd View Post
I use the BeBook though and that is briliant.
The BeBook is also a Hanlin V3. They have a nice web site and an active forum, but their firmware appears to be the standard Jinke version. I agree that service and support is key, but usually local support trumps far away support.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 07:06 PM   #15
cbell
Frenetic

The ECO Reader is available, many people have purchased them and are actively using them. I've received a lot of positive feedback from new owners.

DA Direct is a long-standing Australian company. We've been selling books for nearly 60 years and ebooks for as long as they've been available. We've been selling and supporting e-Ink ebook readers for the past 2 years.

We're very well set up with a large warehouse and technical helpdesk in Melbourne. We manage repairs/replacements at our Melbourne office and we keep stock of all spare parts here.

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?p=558966

BTW, AlexBell and I are not related Well, maybe 20 or so generations ago, distantly by marriage...
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=17

Last edited by cbell; 08-18-2009 at 07:21 PM. Reason: Added disclaimer

Tags
australia eco