Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-08-2012, 12:07 AM   #16
Michele
Addict
Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Michele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparklemotion View Post
When you get one that looks a bit better, it really is a very nice device. The one I saw at my local BB looked awful with the color hues too though.
You've seen this mythical beast? If there are truly people who have both seen the problem and also carefully examined good screens, then there is hope. That would disprove the premise of the article.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
...cured of the I-want-PW disease.
Michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:11 AM   #17
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michele View Post
You've seen this mythical beast? If there are truly people who have both seen the problem and also carefully examined good screens, then there is hope. That would disprove the premise of the article.
LOL@mythical beast. Well, to be clear, no I have never seen a PW with zero color hues. Those I personally don't believe exist. Just my opinion, mind you. However, as someone who has gone through a lot of replacements, some are definitely better than others. The one I have currently is pretty good. When I do see the color hues, they are fairly faint. I can live with it because I like everything else about it so much.
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #18
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Try the 5.3.0 upgrade for the colors.

Quote:
LOL@mythical beast. Well, to be clear, no I have never seen a PW with zero color hues. Those I personally don't believe exist. Just my opinion, mind you. However, as someone who has gone through a lot of replacements, some are definitely better than others. The one I have currently is pretty good. When I do see the color hues, they are fairly faint. I can live with it because I like everything else about it so much.
Try the 5.3.0 PW upgrade and then look closely at the background color. My background was substantially whitened and the barely visible pink is not gone entirely.

That upgrade also darkened the Main Menu fonts and increased contrast between fonts and background on all pages, thus taking out any faint colorations which may have been present before.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:17 AM   #19
ddave7
ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.ddave7 is often consulted by the I Ching.

Device: Kobo Touch
I have the feeling that if you put one of a mythical "good one" into the hands of someone who has seen problems with multiple units, they will see problems on the "good one" too. The degree of the problem may be different, but I'm willing to bet their eyes will still see the coloring issue regardless.

Last edited by ddave7; 11-08-2012 at 10:34 AM.
ddave7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 11:01 AM   #20
sparklemotion
dangerous when cornered
sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sparklemotion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O, Kindle Paperwhite
Sirmaru- I have applied the update. I don't believe a firmware update can remove the color hues. It's a nice update though. So glad I can turn wi-fi on more quickly now and can use the kindle store again. yay. (I had previously turned it off to disable the recommendations bar.)
sparklemotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-08-2012, 11:49 AM   #21
sirmaru
Wizard
sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sirmaru ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 2013, HDX 2013, Galaxy S5 2014
Foreground and background changed.

Quote:
Sirmaru- I have applied the update. I don't believe a firmware update can remove the color hues. It's a nice update though. So glad I can turn wi-fi on more quickly now and can use the kindle store again. yay. (I had previously turned it off to disable the recommendations bar.)
IMHO both the foreground AND the background have been changed. The foreground has been darkened and the background has been lightened.

Try it yourself and post how it worked.
sirmaru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #22
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I have sent a total of 7 units back and ended up keeping 3 (one as a favor for someone who needed one as a present... long story), so I have seen 10 screens so far, one was dead on arrival, so I should say 9. There are serious differences between the intensity of the colors, but none of them are just off-white- they all have pink-green blobs on them.
I kept the ones with the faintest color hues, and that were almost perfect otherwise (one has "only" two black spots, one has "only" one hole in the screen with the light portruding through, and one is mostly pink with only a bit of green, so at least it is somewhat uniform - that one is not for me, so I hope that it will be well received despite the pink). I have very good eye sight and very good color perception, and that's what is working against me in this case, but I did find units that I can live with, after repeated replacements. I love everything else about the PW, so returning them for a refund was out of the question for me, therefore I am willing to live with the small defects.

What the article should have mentioned are also the other defects, and I have seen them on almost every screen: holes in the screen, dust specks/white smudges/white artifacts/black artifacts underneath the screen, bright light strip on the left (they seem to have fixed this issue, as only then first ones had it).

Still, the rest of the PW is great, so there are users who are willing to live with some of these defects, just not all of them on the same device.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote