Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 11-27-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Yoga Tab 2 (Android)
Text to Speach?

So I was pleasantly surprised this morning when I received my Pocketbook IQ, a lot earlier than I expected it. I installed a couple of e-reading apps, downloaded a comic book app from the zipped collection at http://www.the-ebook-reader.com, and a couple of document editing apps which I intend to test thoroughly during classes at my uni. I have documents To Go, Office Suite and QuickOffice, which I like the best so far. Most of my books and fics are epubs and txt files, though I have many html and lit files so I need to see which app is best for those - or at least html. Which app reads the largest number of formats??

But now I am mostly interested in finding out how to use text to speech. I couldn't find it anywhere. I thought I might get that option when pressing the menu button while I had a book open, but no go. Am I supposed to install an app? If so, which one? Or is this supposed to be available with the new firmware? I'd appreciate finding out, as I like the idea of listening to a book while traveling; my motion sickness is too severe to try reading on the bus.
citac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:10 PM   #2
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
As far as I know, text to speech is not working yet. The Pocketbook USA site says that feature is coming soon. I suppose it'll be in a firmware update in the future.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 12:16 PM   #3
twoflower
Enthusiast
twoflower began at the beginning.

Device: PocketBook 902
On my 902 it is working fine (for English at least).
twoflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #4
speedtouch
eBook Newbie
speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.speedtouch once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoflower View Post
Citac was specifically asking about the IQ.
speedtouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 12:56 PM   #5
citac
Fanatic
citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.citac ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedtouch View Post
As far as I know, text to speech is not working yet. The Pocketbook USA site says that feature is coming soon. I suppose it'll be in a firmware update in the future.
That's what I thought might be true. I think the new firmware is not that far away, and I'm looking forward to checking it out.
Advert
Old 11-27-2010, 12:58 PM   #6
citac
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by twoflower View Post
Yes, like Speedtouch said, I was asking about the IQ model. But I'd appreciate if you could tell us something about TTS - how it works, how good it is, and such.
Old 11-30-2010, 04:02 PM   #7
BrightSoul
BrightSoul doesn't litterBrightSoul doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 902
Quote:
Originally Posted by citac View Post
Yes, like Speedtouch said, I was asking about the IQ model. But I'd appreciate if you could tell us something about TTS - how it works, how good it is, and such.
Here we go, straight from the PB 902:
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink

sound pretty good to me, even though the very first part is hylarious
Two minor issues:
- I'd like it better if brackets and hyphens weren't pronounced;
- It's NOT making a pause between pages.

Also, a sample from the italian voice, in case anyone is interested.
http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
BrightSoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
Sil_liS
Wizard
Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sil_liS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 903 & 360+
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightSoul View Post
sound pretty good to me, even though the very first part is hylarious
Two minor issues:
- I'd like it better if brackets and hyphens weren't pronounced;
- It's NOT making a pause between pages.
Maybe every page should end with a "," since it always pauses after one. Also the fact that it reads the () sounds kind of strange.

Can the text-to-speech function be tweaked?
Sil_liS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 06:20 PM   #9
citac
Fanatic

Ugh, I remember it sounding better on one of the videos posted after that trade show whose name escapes me right now.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:37 PM   #10
numberman
numberman began at the beginning.

Device: IQ
Any one has any idea when IQ model will have Text to speech. It has all the features I wanted, expect TTS. So I am waiting for it to come out before I actually place an order for one.

JH
numberman is offline   Reply With Quote