Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-13-2020, 07:45 PM   #181
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Released v1.4.3!

Once again a completely boring maintenance release .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 08:10 PM   #182
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Released v1.4.4!

Boring maintenance release is boring .
Advert
Old 03-25-2021, 10:14 PM   #183
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra, Glo HD, Touch C/B, Mini, Glo, Aura SE, Clara HD, KT
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
Released v1.4.4!

Boring maintenance release is boring .
I'll probably start working in an auto-update script for KFMon in the coming days, to avoid the need to reinstall it each time after an upgrade.
So if I'm right, I should edit /etc/inittab with the loop0 thing (do you have an example? I remember having seen that some weeks ago, but I don't really remember what was there) so that it can execute the update script even after an upgrade.
Do you do some sort of "signing" in your packages? That could help the script decide if it has to update KFMon or not.

Thanks
NiMa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2021, 11:00 PM   #184
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMa View Post
So if I'm right, I should edit /etc/inittab with the loop0 thing (do you have an example?
You should most definitely *not* do that, as the inittab may be overwritten by a FW update .

The loop0 thing relies on custom udev rules instead to avoid that. (c.f., https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...p0#post4092742).

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiMa View Post
Do you do some sort of "signing" in your packages? That could help the script decide if it has to update KFMon or not.
Not really. Assuming KFMon is up, you can query the current version via echo "version" | kfmon-ipc 2>/dev/null.
Keep in mind that the OCP ships a rolling release build, so expect getting a git-describe version scheme (e.g., KFMon v1.4.3-18-g1b586a5).

If that helps, remind me to push said build during the OCP upload, that way you have a chance to actually download binaries without jumping through extra hoops .

EDIT: Done. It's listed in the HTML index, and I added a JSON manifest like the KoboStuff packages.

Last edited by NiLuJe; 03-25-2021 at 11:45 PM.
Old 03-26-2021, 07:37 AM   #185
NiMa
Evangelist
NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiMa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You should most definitely *not* do that, as the inittab may be overwritten by a FW update .

The loop0 thing relies on custom udev rules instead to avoid that. (c.f., https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...p0#post4092742).

Not really. Assuming KFMon is up, you can query the current version via echo "version" | kfmon-ipc 2>/dev/null.
Keep in mind that the OCP ships a rolling release build, so expect getting a git-describe version scheme (e.g., KFMon v1.4.3-18-g1b586a5).

If that helps, remind me to push said build during the OCP upload, that way you have a chance to actually download binaries without jumping through extra hoops .

EDIT: Done. It's listed in the HTML index, and I added a JSON manifest like the KoboStuff packages.
Ok thanks!!
I'll start looking into that this afternoon after school
Advert
Old 03-27-2021, 09:04 AM   #186
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:

Thinking of the rcS... could we just not chattr +i on it? Of course, setup something that would update it if there's really something added.
Old 03-27-2021, 11:12 AM   #187
NiLuJe
BLAM!

You *really*, *really* don't want to do that either .
Old 03-27-2021, 11:30 AM   #188
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
You *really*, *really* don't want to do that either .
Ok then. May I ask why?
I'm going to go the udev route them
Old 03-27-2021, 11:33 AM   #189
NiLuJe
BLAM!

More than a few reasons:

* Not surviving updates is not a bug, it's a feature: we have no guarantee that a change in Nickel's behavior won't break KFMon in subtle or not-so-subtle ways, and, in the worst case, that could lead to a boot loop or a soft lock.

* You have no guarantee that the old script could even allow the updated system to boot sanely.

* You have no guarantee that the update process will handle a permission error sanely .
Old 03-27-2021, 11:56 AM   #190
NiMa
Evangelist

Quote:
More than a few reasons:

* Not surviving updates is not a bug, it's a feature: we have no guarantee that a change in Nickel's behavior won't break KFMon in subtle or not-so-subtle ways, and, in the worst case, that could lead to a boot loop or a soft lock.

* You have no guarantee that the old script could even allow the updated system to boot sanely.

* You have no guarantee that the update process will handle a permission error sanely .
Hmm yeah. I was fearing that tar would abort if it didn't succeed in overwriting the file.
Thanks
Old 04-21-2021, 12:21 PM   #191
steveparry
Connoisseur
steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.steveparry ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I get 'generator error' message on touching the NickelMenu icon on my Libra H2O. How do I resolve this please?
steveparry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 12:45 PM   #192
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@steveparry: Simply by reinstalling KFMon.
Old 08-29-2021, 04:54 PM   #193
NiLuJe
BLAM!

Released v1.4.5!

Boring maintenance release is slightly less boring than usual because Elipsa .
Old 09-01-2021, 09:10 AM   #194
thaiphd
thaiphd began at the beginning.

Device: Tolino Vision 4 HD && Kobo Aura H2O Edition 2
I'm just using KFMon for a while now but only now I wonder how it works.
Apparently some code was embedded in kfmon.png file. But how? Is the code binary or lua script or something else?
thaiphd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2021, 04:51 PM   #195
NiLuJe
BLAM!

@thaiphd: Nope, just an inotify watch on the file, because Nickel effectively open()'s the file when you "open" the book, and PNG files are indeed handled as books by Nickel.

The config files mapping a PNG to an action do the rest.

Tags
fmon, kfmon, kobo, launcher