Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 05-01-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Stevieb
Stevieb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Disable Web Browsing Kindle DX

Since there is no parental controls on the DX I'd like to know if there is any way to disable the web browser permanently and just use it for reading. I assume I could still transfer content via USB. I'd appreciate any info or suggestions. Thanks.
Stevieb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 02:49 AM   #2
Lee Wang
Lee Wang began at the beginning.

Device: none
I'm very interested in this as well, though for different reasons.
Lee Wang is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2013, 09:47 AM   #3
discopig
Book Addict
discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.discopig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I found this related thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=177163

It seems there's a way:
Quote:
I think I solved my problem. I called Amazon Kindle tech support and had them turn the radio off. I can still buy and transfer content via USB but I have no wireless access to the Kindle Store or to web browsing. Thanks to those who responded with their suggestions.
Not very convenient, but at least it can be done.
discopig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
If the internet is through wifi, then block the MAC address of the Kindle in the router.

If it's through 3G, you'd need to contact Amazon.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 04:46 PM   #5
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsunami View Post
If the internet is through wifi, then block the MAC address of the Kindle in the router.

If it's through 3G, you'd need to contact Amazon.
And on other wifi networks... (they're not difficult to find.)
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-22-2013, 04:50 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The DX only has 3G.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle dx, web browsing