Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-13-2011, 12:37 PM   #1
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Device: Kindle3 (3G), PRS-950 (x2), PRS-T1
PRS-T1 : PDF page turn speed?

Hello,

I have a 950, and except for the landscape mode, I'm pretty happy with it. Since the PRS-T1 implements landscape better than the 950, I was thinking of getting it, but then in the video reviews below, it seems that PDF page turns are VERY SLOW:

Around the 8:30 mark, VERY slow page turns for a manual:
http://goodereader.com/blog/electron...e-sony-prs-t1/

Around the 1:00 mark, comment on slow page turns, for a standard text PDF!!
http://www.the-ebook-reader.com/reader-wifi.html

Can anyone speak about how fast page turns are on the PRS-T1 vs the 950 on PDFs, or just on the PRS-T1 if you don't have a 950? Thanks!

EDIT: more evidence of this (not sure if it's related to Chinese fonts, though):

Quote:
Compared with PRS-650, the PDF Reader of PRS-T1 is rubbish. When reading large files (>1MB) of Chinese contents, the "Please wait ..." window pop-ups always at each page turning; I sometimes have to shut the reader down, as it is unknown when the next page will come up and to continue my reading.
Besides, too much page re-fresing when browsing the Web.
https://forum.sel.sony.com/viewtopic...t=11379#p30799

Last edited by ring0_event; 10-13-2011 at 02:47 PM.
ring0_event is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
9033 began at the beginning.

Device: 600, 650 and T1
No only concerned about Chinese texts.

When PDFs contain graphics, the "Please wait ..." come up occasionally.
9033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2011, 09:04 AM   #3
ring0_event
Zealot
ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'ring0_event can spell AND pronounce 'liseuse.'

Hey 9033, thanks for your reply. My concern is with the second video of my main post (see second link), which shows at 1:00 a *text* PDF with slow page turns (granted it was reflowed, but it's only text, and PDF reflow is one reason why I love my 950).
Can you confirm slow page turns for a text PDF (and minimal graphics) when it's reflowed and when it's not?
Can anyone else with a PRS-T1 shed any light at all on PDF page turn speed?

Thank you!
Old 10-14-2011, 11:50 PM   #4
CedroRosso
Enthusiast
CedroRosso began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
It can definitely be slow when reflow is turned on, more with untagged pdfs than with tagged pdfs from what I've seen. Without reflow page turns are instantaneous even with images.

Last edited by CedroRosso; 10-14-2011 at 11:53 PM.
CedroRosso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 11:59 PM   #5
9033 began at the beginning.

Device: 600, 650 and T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ring0_event View Post
Hey 9033, thanks for your reply. My concern is with the second video of my main post (see second link), which shows at 1:00 a *text* PDF with slow page turns (granted it was reflowed, but it's only text, and PDF reflow is one reason why I love my 950).
Can you confirm slow page turns for a text PDF (and minimal graphics) when it's reflowed and when it's not?
Can anyone else with a PRS-T1 shed any light at all on PDF page turn speed?

Thank you!
When reading "English text" PDF with no graphic, the page turning speed is fast, similar to 650; with a few graphics and the file size is large (>3MB for example), the "Please wait ..." window pops up and takes many many seconds to go away. Also, in changing font size for such a large file, the "Please wait ..." window pops up and takes many many seconds to go away. May be Sony does not expect people to read text-cum-graphic PDF.

I suspect it is the size of the "buffering mechanism" of the reader that matter, if not the ability of the CPU. The reason is that after reading the said large file a while and press the Home button and tap the Books window for selection of another book, the screen turns black and I have to reset the reader.
9033 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-15-2011, 12:38 PM   #6
ring0_event
Zealot

@9033
So, in your opinion, how does it compare to your 650 overall in terms of PDF page turns? Overall the same, overall slower, or overall faster? I have a 950, so I presume your 650 will compare identically as far as PDF page turns are concerned. It sure *sounds* like you're saying that your T1 is slower than your 650, at at best equal for the simplest of cases (text and no graphic, with no reflow).

@CedroRosso
Do you have another Sony reader with which you can compare PDF page turns?

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2011, 05:34 PM   #7
diddy
Connoisseur
diddy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I just read a PDF on my T1 and it seems to be quite fast.
diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:02 PM   #8
ring0_event
Zealot

Hey diddy, thanks for answering. A few questions, if you have the time:
a) More or less, how did it compare to the reading speed on your 650?
b) Did you reflow the PDF?
c) Did that PDF have graphics?
d) Do you know if the PDF was tagged?

Thanks!
Old 10-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by CedroRosso View Post
It can definitely be slow when reflow is turned on, more with untagged pdfs than with tagged pdfs from what I've seen. Without reflow page turns are instantaneous even with images.
Agreed. I just did a side-by-side comparison of a text PDF (with DRM) on my 950 and T1. When the pages are full-screen, the T1 might be a slight bit faster but it's nearly identical. When text is in reflow mode, the 950 is faster especially on the second screen of a reflowed page. Although it's just by a little bit of difference.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2011, 06:15 PM   #10
ring0_event
Zealot

Thanks Bookworm_Girl! I guess it's time for me to acquire a second 950 while I still can...how could Sony do this, I can't say!
Old 10-16-2011, 04:33 PM   #11
diddy
Connoisseur
diddy began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I currently don't have any PDF that allows reflow. I zoomed in a bit to read and then page turn was quite quick. I usually try to avoid PDF as reflow is not ideal (at least in the books I had, maybe it's better in newer pdf versions). I find ePub so much more convenient. But then again, some books are not available as ePub.
diddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2011, 07:08 PM   #12
ring0_event
Zealot

Hi diddy, thanks for that bit of extra info. Epub is by far superior, but I have so many articles and papers in PDF format that I need PDF reflow capability, which is why I'm disappointed that the new T1 *seems* to be inferior to the 950 for PDF page turns with reflow enabled...*sigh*
Old 10-24-2011, 04:20 AM   #13
MRi
MRi began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
My T1 needs 5secs up to 10secs per page turn. And it is a small english PDF and the pages that I am in, don't have any grafics.

I can not see an option to turn reflow of, but even than, without reflow, the pages might be not readable, so reflow is needed.

As far as I can see my silly and dump OYO was faster on a page turn than the T1.
MRi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 08:51 AM   #14
ring0_event
Zealot

Hi MRi, you can turn off reflow by going to the default font size. In that way page turns are very fast, but I agree with you that this is not acceptable for me as it's WAY too small. I just may return this because I am not convinced that Sony will address the issue.
Old 10-24-2011, 12:05 PM   #15
jbuk
jbuk doesn't litterjbuk doesn't litter

Device: none
"And it is a small english PDF and the pages that I am in, don't have any grafics."

I find slow speeds on reflow are unpredictable. I downloaded a travel guide the other day, obviously with masses of graphics, and a 25mb size, and page turns weren't a problem whatsoever. I wonder whether it's something to do with the pdf formatting being complicated, like having 'new line' markers at the end of each line in A4/letter, rather than distinct paragraphs.

The thing I find frustrating is how the crop function in the pdf reader has been limited. The most standard situation is a one-column pdf with large margins, and you want to be able to read it in landscape mode, with the text tightly cropped, and the ability to use swiping/page turn buttons as 'page up/down'. Manual cropping mode would be perfect for this, but it has an apparently entirely arbitrary zoom limit. So you have to cut out the margins on the pdf using a computer, and use the 'fit width' mode. Just a completely unnecessary hassle. Fingers crossed the hack will sort this out.
jbuk is offline   Reply With Quote