Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-29-2016, 03:26 PM   #1
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Amazon's site redesign... actually kind of good

I'm not sure when Amazon's current homepage design dropped, but I just noticed it this week and I have to say, it's quite decent. IMO, UI has always been Amazon's weak point. Whether we're talking about their main site, their tablet interfaces, or their Android apps, they tend to be ugly and clunky to navigate. The "Prime Day" format really highlighted the site's UI issues.

The current homepage is nice to look at, ads and all, and even provides some useful information right up front with the ribbon showing your open orders, next delivery, and Audible credits.

Search and product pages are still the old lo-fi design, but those have always been decently functional, aside from all the scrolling required.

Anyone else notice the change?
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 03:33 PM   #2
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by taosaur View Post
Anyone else notice the change?
I first saw the change around the holidays, but I believe they've been testing the design for quite a while before that and expanding who sees it over time.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:26 PM   #3
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
I saw a few changes a while back but I didn't think anything of it.
As the UI interface I usually need is the search box.
You could say I'm a CLI shopper.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 04:45 PM   #4
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
What is CLI?
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2016, 06:02 PM   #5
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinisajoy View Post
What is CLI?
"Command Line Interface." Text.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:07 AM   #6
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
A CLI is the barebone minimal interface needed to talk to a computer system.
No graphics, no decor, no whiz-bang sliding panels or menus.
Search engines still work that way (Google, Bing).

Since my shopping is directed--I go when I'm looking for something specific--I just ask for the product category (i.e., microsd 32) and it pops a list of all micro sd cards of 32GB.

Much faster than browsing and it often returns interesting packages. In this case I'm thinking of, I found a two-pack of SanDisk 32Gb cards in caddies in a simple plastic bag for US$17. Prime-able, too. Perfect for the Fire 7's I picked up as Xmas gifts.

No muss, no fuss, no added trash beyond the shipping envelope.
These days I like keeping things simple.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 07:27 PM   #7
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
Honestly, if they change things and I don't notice, I count that as good.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2016, 08:54 PM   #8
taosaur
intelligent posterior
taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taosaur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2, Samsung S8, Lenovo Tab 3 Pro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravensknight View Post
Honestly, if they change things and I don't notice, I count that as good.
Yeah, I don't land on the main page very often, but I'm sure the makeover slipped right past me any number of times.
taosaur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2016, 06:42 AM   #9
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
I didn't notice at first (since I usually don't scroll down), but I don't like it. I don't like the trend of large graphics with no text. Plus, I'm getting temporary/long lockups with firefox that makes shopping at Amazon very tedious.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2016, 10:09 PM   #10
Chaiwala
Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chaiwala ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Count me in for the "didn't notice at first" camp, but when I did I was confused, then immediately didn't care. It works fine.
Chaiwala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 05:42 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I see nothing different about amazon.co.uk.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote