Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 12-26-2021, 03:12 PM   #16
Paperbackstash
Wizard
Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Paperbackstash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, PW 3, 4, 5, Fire HD 2012, Fire HD 8 (8th Gen)
The Paperwhite 5 would be a big upgrade in select ways - faster, newer hardware, larger screen, warm lighting, different charging options. The Voyage does have the buttons, and the screen sharpness may be better still depending on which device you ended up with.
Paperbackstash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2021, 08:31 PM   #17
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
TBH, other than additional space, there is nothing on the PW5 that would make me upgrade from my Voyage (I bought extras). I just read novels and magazines like Asimov's. The light is fine for the 15-20 minutes I read before bed (I normally use a reading light but don't have one in the bedroom). Others have reported that the screen sharpness is still superior on the Voyage.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2021, 12:18 AM   #18
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Because I've seen the GoodEReade3r review of the PW5 vs the Libra 2 and they did the video in 4k and on my 65" LG OLED C1, I can see how meh the PW5 screen is.
It's the same Carta 1200 panel being used in both the Libra 2 and PW5. Online reviewers who have specifically compared the Oasis 3 and new Paperwhite head-to-head have all observed there being little difference between screens.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 02:22 PM   #19
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Nook ST w/Glowlight, (2015) Glowlight Plus, Paperwhite 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by mezzanine View Post
It's the same Carta 1200 panel being used in both the Libra 2 and PW5. Online reviewers who have specifically compared the Oasis 3 and new Paperwhite head-to-head have all observed there being little difference between screens.
The Paperwhite has a flush screen and the Libra 2 does not. Doesn't the flush screen result in another layer on top of the screen? That could be the cause of quality differences in the Paperwhite 5 and Libra 2*

It did seem to cause many complaints about screen clarity between the Paperwhite 3 and Paperwhite 4.

*I haven't seen a Libra 2 or Paperwhite 5 in person, so I'm not arguing there is a difference. Only that if others who have more knowledge say there is a difference, that might be why.
ZodWallop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 02:33 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZodWallop View Post
The Paperwhite has a flush screen and the Libra 2 does not. Doesn't the flush screen result in another layer on top of the screen? That could be the cause of quality differences in the Paperwhite 5 and Libra 2*

It did seem to cause many complaints about screen clarity between the Paperwhite 3 and Paperwhite 4.

*I haven't seen a Libra 2 or Paperwhite 5 in person, so I'm not arguing there is a difference. Only that if others who have more knowledge say there is a difference, that might be why.
No, because the flush Sage is definitely sharper than the Oasis 3 and I assume the PW5 (if that's the same as the Oasis).
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-29-2021, 02:38 PM   #21
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar
ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ZodWallop ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
No, because the flush Sage is definitely sharper than the Oasis 3 and I assume the PW5 (if that's the same as the Oasis).
The Sage uses a Carta 1200 screen and the Oasis 3 does not. So that might explain the Sage being sharper.

The Paperwhite 5 uses a Carta 1200. Not sure if the Sage is sharper than the Paperwhite 5.
Old 12-29-2021, 02:51 PM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The Sage uses a Carta 1200 screen and the Oasis 3 does not. So that might explain the Sage being sharper.

The Paperwhite 5 uses a Carta 1200. Not sure if the Sage is sharper than the Paperwhite 5.
If the PW5 is the same as the Oasis (as was said by another poster), then the Sage is certainly sharper.

The flush Voyage was the sharpest of them all, actually.
Old 12-29-2021, 04:33 PM   #23
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
If the PW5 is the same as the Oasis (as was said by another poster), then the Sage is certainly sharper.

Yes but the voyage did something special (read: expensive) that neither Amazon nor anyone else has seemed to try to repeat.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 04:54 PM   #24
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barty View Post
Yes but the voyage did something special (read: expensive) that neither Amazon nor anyone else has seemed to try to repeat.
Micro-etched glass. I wish they had used it on the Oasis, as it seems this is what made the difference. My Oasis display is perfect, however, but doesn’t have exactly the same 'floaty' quality that the Voyage text had.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:05 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
But Amazon botched things when they made the PW5 flush. That made it less sharp and more muddy. Like the PW4 vs the PW3. The PW3 is better.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 05:22 PM   #26
ZodWallop
Gentleman and scholar

Quote:
The Paperwhite and Voyage do not use the same screens. The Paperwhite 5 is using the Carta 1200 screen. In the 'big three' the only other devices using Carta 1200 are the Kobo Sage, Libra 2 and the Nook Glowlight 4.

Quote:
Which shows that the etched glass was more than a gimmick. But must have been prohibitively expensive as no other reader, even the premium ones, use it.

Last edited by ZodWallop; 12-29-2021 at 05:24 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 05:30 PM   #27
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The Paperwhite and Voyage do not use the same screens. The Paperwhite 5 is using the Carta 1200 screen. In the 'big three' the only other devices using Carta 1200 are the Kobo Sage, Libra 2 and the Nook Glowlight 4.
Yes, I know, but then the PW5 should be noticeably sharper than the Oasis, which isn't said to be the case. While the new Kobos really are sharper than the old ones (and the Oasis).

Last edited by Sirtel; 12-29-2021 at 06:24 PM.
Old 12-29-2021, 06:56 PM   #28
mezzanine
Groupie
mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mezzanine ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KA1, Clara, Aura HD
Quote:
But Amazon botched things when they made the PW5 flush. That made it less sharp and more muddy. Like the PW4 vs the PW3. The PW3 is better.
The Oasis 3 is flush like the PW5.

The language we use to describe differences between screens needs to be clearer. When you say the text on the PW5 is less sharp and more muddy, I assume it has worse resolution than it's competitors. But we know they all have the same 300ppi.

I have to assume people are talking about contrast when they use terms like sharpness and crispness even though they are unrelated concepts.

I'm open to the possibility there are legitimate differences between screens that hypothetically should be nearly identical, but the explanations given for the differences are never logically coherent. At least the Voyage people have the micro-etched glass thing.
mezzanine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2021, 07:00 PM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
The Oasis 3 is flush like the PW5.

The language we use to describe differences between screens needs to be clearer. When you say the text on the PW5 is less sharp and more muddy, I assume it has worse resolution than it's competitors. But we know they all have the same 300ppi.

I have to assume people are talking about contrast when they use terms like sharpness and crispness even though they are unrelated concepts.

I'm open to the possibility there are legitimate differences between screens that hypothetically should be nearly identical, but the explanations given for the differences are never logically coherent. At least the Voyage people have the micro-etched glass thing.
That's because we often don't know the reason for the difference, as we're not the ones making the devices. The Oasis 3 and the Libra 1st gen (H2O) should have identical screens, but actually the Oasis has better contrast. Why? Your guess is as good as mine. Glass vs plastic?

And to make waters even muddier, the Oasis 3 had better contrast than the Oasis 2. The screens were supposed to be identical, but were not in real life. The reason? No idea.
Old 12-29-2021, 07:01 PM   #30
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Quote:
I disagree the screen on my PW5 is the clearest I have ever had. That includes the Voyage and the Oasis2.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paperwhite, voyage