Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
text errors with K4MobiDeDRM?

Hi there,

I was checking some books that had gone into Calibre via the K4MobiDeDRM plug in and noticed several text errors in one of them, which are not there in the original DRM version.

I upgraded to the latest Calibre and latest plug in, re-downloaded the DRM book, and tried it again, and the same errors are present in the imported mobi file.

Also, when I try to move that book from one of my PCs to another, it will not open in the Calibre viewer...seems to hang at the loading graphic.

Can some one point me to the proper way to debug this kind of stuff?

Thanks,

ApK
Old 02-21-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Read the Apprentice Alf FAQ about Topaz ebooks. Any issues with that plugin should be posted there and not here.
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 05:29 PM   #3
nynaevelan
eBook Junkie
nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nynaevelan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire 2020, Kindle PW2
On a side note, this is not a new issue for me, the topaz plugin has alot of conversion issues, but I always assumed this was due to the type of books I read, since fantasy books have a lot of made up words, so I tend to just keep my topaz books as they are.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I was checking some books that had gone into Calibre via the K4MobiDeDRM plug in and noticed several text errors in one of them, which are not there in the original DRM version.
If these are Topaz format books, this is just down to the OCR done by Amazon.

If you are seeing text problems with Mobipocket format books, report it (with details of the book) in a comment on the Apprentice Alf blog. I think some_updates would be interested.

The FAQ post at Apprentice Alf's blog would probably also be useful to you.
Old 02-21-2011, 05:43 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Do you have the latest version?
Advert
Old 02-21-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks all.

I have the latest (as of when I checked this morning) versions of Calibre and the plug in, it's a mobi book, not topaz, if the file extension in K4PC and the presence of a page count on Amazon's item page are true indicators, and I will try a comment on the blog.

ApK
Old 02-21-2011, 05:58 PM   #7
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
To demonstrate what is actually going on:

with the original ebook, search for the text that is being re-produced "incorrectly" after the conversion and see what the search returns.

Then actually type in the mispelled word(s) - still in the original ebook - and see what that search returns.

The text errors are in the original ebook... you just don't see them, because the glyph data that is generated from the horrible OCR has been proofread and corrected before you see it.

Unfortunately, that glyph data is not very handy for converting into a different, reflowable format. So the plugin uses the included original OCR text (Amazon includes it for full-text searching)... which can be quite atrocious, but that blame lies entirely with Amazon and not the plugin.
Old 02-21-2011, 06:24 PM   #8
ApK

Thanks, DiapDealer, I'll try it as soon as I can. Searching for the legit word is easy, searching for the incorrect one will be a problem, as they are mostly rendered as kanji and unprintable character squares.
Oh, and personal thanks for your work on the plugins. They have been a tremendous help!

ApK
Old 02-22-2011, 09:17 AM   #9
ApK

I searched the original for the correct spellings and they were found correctly, so it's pointing toward calibre or the plug in. As there are no error messages reported, is it worth doing the command line debug as directed in the plugin read me?

Thanks again,
ApK
Old 02-22-2011, 10:57 AM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi,

Yes, it is the only way to find out what Mobi version is involved, what the encryption type used was, what the flags value was, etc.
Old 02-23-2011, 01:41 AM   #11
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I searched the original for the correct spellings and they were found correctly, so it's pointing toward calibre or the plug in. As there are no error messages reported, is it worth doing the command line debug as directed in the plugin read me?
I may be wrong but debugging a plugin for removing DRM is not something to do in this forum. Please take this elsewhere (maybe Darkreverser's New Blog comments section).
Old 02-23-2011, 08:40 AM   #12
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I may be wrong but debugging a plugin for removing DRM is not something to do in this forum.
Mods, any comment?
Old 02-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I agree, no discussion of DRM removal plugins on this forum
Closed Thread