Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 01-29-2010, 01:50 AM   #1
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Generic virtual reality story-experiential device
Apple iPad’s Display Is More Like a TV Than a Laptop // iBook Prices Same As Amazon's

Wired offers a bit more extensive description of the IPS technology of the iPad's screen:

"... Apple iPad’s most striking feature, its gorgeous 9.7-inch touchscreen display, uses liquid crystal display technology — but with a few unusual twists — to present a vivid image and a wide viewing angle.

“The iPad’s display uses the same capacitive touchscreen technology as the iPhone and iPod Touch,” says Vinita Jakhanwal, principal analyst for iSuppli. “At the same time, it offers a better picture quality than conventional LCDs.”
Apple CEO Steve Jobs introduced the iPad’s screen as a LED-backlit with In-Plane Switching (IPS). Jobs was referring to a type of LCD screen that is more often found in HDTVs than it is in mobile devices.

So-called twisted nematic LCDs have dominated consumer laptop and phone displays. The viewing angle on these screens is limited, ranging from 110 to 120 degrees. When the screen is viewed outside this optimal range, its colors can look “off” and the overall image is faded or invisible.

In-Plane Switching helps fix those problems. In IPS LCD screens, the crystal molecules are oriented so their motion is parallel to the panel, instead of perpendicular to it. For viewers, the result is a very wide viewing angle — up to 180 degrees — with brilliant color....
"

I personally like IPS monitors a lot. While based on my experience with these, the iPad screen holds promise for reading, without eye fatigue, I'll have to play with one in person, before I make the switch from Kindle.

++++++++++++++++++++

On another note, macrumors cites a Kara Swisher video, in which Jobs states that the iBook prices will be the same as Amazon's."

"...Kara Swisher and Walt Mossberg attended the Apple Media event where Steve Jobs announced the Apple iPad. Swisher has posted a video where Mossberg questions Steve Jobs after the event.

Mossberg brings up the issue of e-book pricing which was reported to be as high as $14.99 as compared to Amazon's $9.99. Jobs assured him that the prices would be "the same"....
"

Oh, and battery life for music only is claimed to be 140 hours.

Last edited by Sonist; 01-29-2010 at 02:49 AM.
Sonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
Apparently, when using one you really appreciate the difference in quality compared to a laptop screen or iphone screen.

I'm pretty sold about the iPad but that is largely driven by my needs for a good magazine and comic reader (in addition to the internet/apps/games/movies etc).

If Amazon had announced a color Kindle this month, which did Internet at a price point of around $350 it would have been a difficult choice. But they haven't announced anything, and the Apple device is cheap for what it can do.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 04:56 AM   #3
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
Apparently, when using one you really appreciate the difference in quality compared to a laptop screen or iphone screen.

I'm pretty sold about the iPad but that is largely driven by my needs for a good magazine and comic reader (in addition to the internet/apps/games/movies etc).

If Amazon had announced a color Kindle this month, which did Internet at a price point of around $350 it would have been a difficult choice. But they haven't announced anything, and the Apple device is cheap for what it can do.
I agree entirely. I am hoping the current lack of iBooks in the UK is temporary (less temporary than the iTunes Music Store was). This could be the first generation of an amazing new tyoe of device - I want one on my next trip (which unfortunately is sooner than 58 days!).

Sonist - great summary; thank you.

amjb
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:32 AM   #4
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
Interesting, and if the pictures are doing it justice, the screen does look very nice. As far a price of books goes, it really does not matter to me what apple charges. I have an iPod/iPhone for about 4 years, and have never bought 1 mp3 from iTunes. I buy the non-DRM MP3's from Amazon. And eBooks I buy mainly form Kobo, and of course strip the DRM. So, what matters to me is battery life, the ability to read non-DRM ePubs and PDF, and screen quality.
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 06:44 AM   #5
dragonbone
must love dogs
dragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheesedragonbone can extract oil from cheese

Device: Sony PRS-700, iPhone 32GB 3GS, iPad 64GB WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by amjbrown View Post
I agree entirely. I am hoping the current lack of iBooks in the UK is temporary (less temporary than the iTunes Music Store was). This could be the first generation of an amazing new tyoe of device - I want one on my next trip (which unfortunately is sooner than 58 days!).

Sonist - great summary; thank you.

amjb
What do you mean about the iBooks? Is there already an iBook store on iTunes?
dragonbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-29-2010, 06:59 AM   #6
Tuna
Zealot
Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Tuna has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Cool-ER
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugazied View Post
People keep bringing up magazines (I guess because it's the main 'book' format to really rely on colour), but I don't see these as being compelling reasons to buy any device. Most good websites provide a magazine style experience, so I'd be more keen to see a fully featured web browser, and somewhat higher resolution.
Tuna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:03 AM   #7
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
I am pretty jealous of those IPS screens-my Macbook screen just can't compare to the new iMac screen.
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #8
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Device: N/A
Never mind

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 01-30-2010 at 09:06 PM.
DawnFalcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 07:01 PM   #9
amjbrown
Addict
amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amjbrown ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kindle app on the iPhone
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
Bear in mind the 3G versions are currently using US-only hardware, so there will be a longer delay before those come to the UK as well...
I am not a communications expert, but I think we are covered...

UMTS/HSDPA (850, 1900, 2100 MHz)
GSM/EDGE (850, 900,1800, 1900 MHz)

from the tech specs pages - US and UK pages identical.
amjbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 08:25 PM   #10
Sonist
Apeist
Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sonist ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Here is PC World's take on the iPad's IPS display:

"... Ensuring that the device can be held in a variety of ways without major viewing angle issues was clearly of great importance to Apple, especially considering that you'll rotate the iPad depending on what you're viewing, and Apple positions the iPad as a casual use 'living-room' device, perfect for consuming an assortment of multimedia.

Typical casual-use devices, namely netbooks, use a twisted nematic (TN) display technology. TN although cheaper, offers inferior color reproduction (only 6-bit color, while IPS supports richer 8-bit color), and lower viewing angles, so Apple's use of a higher quality display techology (IPS) for such a casual device is welcomed...."
Old 01-29-2010, 11:15 PM   #11
DawnFalcon
Banned
DawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with othersDawnFalcon plays well with others

Never mind

Last edited by DawnFalcon; 01-30-2010 at 09:06 PM.
Old 01-30-2010, 03:21 AM   #12
Sonist
Apeist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnFalcon View Post
That's nice. "have used" is more accurate, given current production.
I will quote PC World again: "Typical casual-use devices, namely netbooks, use a twisted nematic (TN) display technology. TN although cheaper, offers inferior color reproduction (only 6-bit color, while IPS supports richer 8-bit color), and lower viewing angles, so Apple's use of a higher quality display techology (IPS) for such a casual device is welcomed...."

I am not aware of any "current production" of netbooks using IPS displays. Apparently, neither is PC World.

Either provide a few examples of such "current production," so that you can prove me and PC World wrong, or please stop trolling.
Old 01-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #13
DawnFalcon
Banned

That's nice. And certainly, PM me for payment details - $39.99 should cover it.
Old 01-31-2010, 02:39 AM   #14
Sonist
Apeist

Here is what appears to be a comprehensive list of all IPS displays in production, with suggested prices:

http://www.pchardwarehelp.com/guides/s-ips-lcd-list.php
Old 01-31-2010, 10:14 PM   #15
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Interesting. I've got a Dell monitor hooked up to my MacBook Pro that seems to have a very wide viewing angle. How could I find out if it's IPS? (That last link goes to a "This account has been suspended" page.)
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote