Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 12-03-2019, 07:57 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghaworth View Post
am I to understand that you can install your own fonts on Kindles now without jailbreaking?
For a long while. The update that made it possible came out in June 2018. But sideloaded books must be in the azw3 format, as plain mobi doesn't support custom fonts.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:01 PM   #17
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
For a long while. The update that made it possible came out in June 2018. But sideloaded books must be in the azw3 format, as plain mobi doesn't support custom fonts.
thank you so very much. all my sideload books are already azww so I may, just maybe, stay with the kindle ecosystem after all. I have an Oasis coming if it ever gets here, thanks to the weather everywhere, so I am at least hopeful now. still no book cover screensavers though. sigh.

my last purchase was the Paperwhite 2 in 2014
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 08:14 PM   #18
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
thank you so very much. all my sideload books are already azww so I may, just maybe, stay with the kindle ecosystem after all. I have an Oasis coming if it ever gets here, thanks to the weather everywhere, so I am at least hopeful now. still no book cover screensavers though. sigh.

my last purchase was the Paperwhite 2 in 2014
There is a weight adjustment slider now too, like on Kobo. And it even works with custom fonts out of the box, unlike Kobo (on a Kobo you need a patch for this).
Old 12-03-2019, 08:31 PM   #19
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
There is a weight adjustment slider now too, like on Kobo. And it even works with custom fonts out of the box, unlike Kobo (on a Kobo you need a patch for this).
thanks again. this is excellent news.

the metal case is bothersome due to fibro and arthritis but I am looking at leather & silicone pieces to make my own grippy skin.

it looks as if the previous gen didn't have a metal case. is that true? maybe I need to order a previous gen?
Old 12-03-2019, 08:52 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
thanks again. this is excellent news.

the metal case is bothersome due to fibro and arthritis but I am looking at leather & silicone pieces to make my own grippy skin.

it looks as if the previous gen didn't have a metal case. is that true? maybe I need to order a previous gen?
The Oasis 2 had the exact same metal body. The Oasis 1 from 2016 (the one with the 6'' screen and the charging cover) was plastic. It was one of the most lightweight and comfortable ereaders ever. You might want to try to track one down, if the weight is important to you.
Old 12-03-2019, 08:55 PM   #21
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
The Oasis 2 had the exact same metal body. The Oasis 1 from 2016 (the one with the 6'' screen and the charging cover) was plastic. It was one of the most lightweight and comfortable ereaders ever. You might want to try to track one down, if the weight is important to you.
weight is ultra important as is the casing. the metal will cause pain from cold and I can't use cases. thank you.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #22
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
weight is ultra important as is the casing. the metal will cause pain from cold and I can't use cases. thank you.
This is the official page of the Oasis 1. Seems like a couple of used devices are available.
https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-reader...00REQKWGA?th=1
Old 12-03-2019, 09:06 PM   #23
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

I found one but the price seems out of line with the age of the device so I'm going to pass on it for now.
Old 12-03-2019, 09:12 PM   #24
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

Quote:
This is the official page of the Oasis 1. Seems like a couple of used devices are available.
https://www.amazon.com/Kindle-reader...00REQKWGA?th=1
I don't care what they say, you are very nice!

thanks again!
Old 12-03-2019, 09:24 PM   #25
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker

I checked it out, and it is the same price as the one I found on ebay, more or less. it may be just me, but for only a few dollars more (great Thanksgiving Day sales) I can have the one I ordered so it really seems as if I'm meant to have mine if it ever arrives. losing hope daily... not really, just impatient. been without a reader for a while and tablets/phones don't cut it for me.