Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-26-2009, 10:04 AM   #1
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350, Ipad 3
B&N books on PRS-600

Hi all; new to this forum.

I bought a Sony PRS-600 and think I'll like it alot.

One problem, however. While I was waiting for my new Sony to arrive I got all enthusiastic (and didn't find this site first) and bought 5 books on Barnes and Noble.

Now I'm having a horrible time downloading them to my Sony (actually can't). I've read here something about removing DRM etc. but can't figure it out.

Makes me mad as I bought these books legally. Any way I can find a way to make them work on my Sony rather than wait to see if B&N actually does something in the future (which may never happen)?
mbelec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:34 AM   #2
esowden
not your typical dude...
esowden began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
The B&N ebook format is not supported by the Sony eReader. At this point, your only option is to read the books on your computer using B&N's eReader software.
esowden is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 12:05 PM   #3
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
It's just upsetting to see so many formats/DRM for ebooks. In the old days, you can purchase a paper book and can read it anywhere without any problems. Wish the same would be true for ebooks.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelec View Post
Hi all; new to this forum.

I bought a Sony PRS-600 and think I'll like it alot.

One problem, however. While I was waiting for my new Sony to arrive I got all enthusiastic (and didn't find this site first) and bought 5 books on Barnes and Noble.

Now I'm having a horrible time downloading them to my Sony (actually can't). I've read here something about removing DRM etc. but can't figure it out.

Makes me mad as I bought these books legally. Any way I can find a way to make them work on my Sony rather than wait to see if B&N actually does something in the future (which may never happen)?
Well, yeah, that's the big issue with DRM and formats and in particular with B&N as they have both eReader format and (Social/B&N only)DRM-Epub format and they don't indicate what you are actually purchasing.

Both of those have been cracked, but it is not appropriate (per this forum rules) to provide specific information about them, but do some searches on this forum and on google and you'll find what you need if you want to go that direction. I personally believe that if you purchase an ebook you should have the ability and right to read it on any of your ebook readers.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 12:28 PM   #5
animedude01
Addict
animedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheeseanimedude01 can extract oil from cheese

Device: DR1000S, ILIAD2, Nokia n900, Kindle for PC, Astak EZReader Pro
Check out this thread here on MR:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ferrerid=39325

It should help you get started.
animedude01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #6
grooks
Wizard
grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.grooks can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Sony PRS-650, Galaxy Nexus, Nexus 7
I can verify the thread posted by 'animedude01' does work.
grooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:31 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
B&N ebooks come in two flavors, ePub with password DRM and eReader (also with password DRM). The former has extension .epub the latter .pdb. If you have eReader, you might try downloading again because many ebooks have recently shifted to ePub. For ePub, see Barnes & Noble DRM for EPUB circumvented and the resulting DRM-free ePub should work on your PRS-600. If you have eReader ebooks, then ereader2html.py can remove the DRM and then Calibre can convert to ePub.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:06 AM   #8
Bremen Cole
Wizard
Bremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with othersBremen Cole plays well with others

Device: iPad
The DRM stripping tools are a consumers best friend. I predict in three years most ebooks will be sold without DRM (much like what has happened with mp3's) but in the meantime.....
Bremen Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 04:49 PM   #9
mbelec
Addict
mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbelec ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Unhappy

Hi - thanks for the suggestions, but we just can't get this to work. Not sure what we're doing wrong.

As for B&N books, if I could return them and get my money back I would, as I've spend $50 for books I can't load onto my reader. I'm pretty frustrated.
Old 12-27-2009, 08:50 PM   #10
mbelec
Addict

Figured it out and what a pain! Problem solved and thanks mucho everyone!
Old 12-27-2009, 08:55 PM   #11
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Figured it out and what a pain! Problem solved and thanks mucho everyone!
But WHAT DID YOU DO? You can't just say that and run off. You have to tell us what you did what was wrong what you fixed.

Did you strip the DRM or fix something?
Old 12-29-2009, 07:22 AM   #12
mbelec
Addict

I was able to strip the DRM with the programs mentioned above, then load the new file on my device. Reads fine in epub now. Thanks for all the help, everyone.
Old 12-29-2009, 08:25 AM   #13
kennyc

Quote:
I was able to strip the DRM with the programs mentioned above, then load the new file on my device. Reads fine in epub now. Thanks for all the help, everyone.
Thanks for the followup.