Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 11-07-2009, 05:02 PM   #16
Journier
Groupie
Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Journier has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle Oasis
I use an SD card so that I can use my 505 or 600 to read the same book. I use the Sony library software and always eject from there before disconnecting without any problem. The first time I turn the device on after placing the card in it, it does take longer to load. But, every time I turn it on after that, it responds in the normal manner. Some of the books I have are open format. In which case, I can place it in my jetbook and read on that device as well. I may have to recharge a little more often. But, that is no problem for me as I have more than one ereader. I often use one device while the other is charging. The SD card definitly offers more flexibility.
Journier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #17
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
I have about 400 mp3 files and 600 books in epub, lrf and pdf format on the 8GB SD card. Each time I add or remove files from the card, the reader (prs-600) take too much time to loading files, about 30minutes. Does anyone have the same problem and any suggestion to fix it (without deleting books and music)?
vietchovui is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-02-2010, 10:57 AM   #18
MSJim
Bookworm
MSJim began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600, Nook STR
I don't believe there is a "fix". It's inherent in the Sony operation. It scans the memory/cards for new material and reorganizes the internal library each time it is cold booted or something is added/removed.

I only have about 100 books on the reader at a time - probably more than I really need since I only read one at a time. I delete a book from the reader when I've read it. The rest of the books in my collection, both read and unread, I keep on my PC and manage/organize with Calibre.

I realize this usage is considered radical by some owners, but I just don't feel obligated or inclined to have my whole collection available on the reader at the same time. This works for me.
MSJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2010, 04:16 PM   #19
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
@vietchovui : Discovered the same problem with PRS-505 when trying to put a collection of ~2500 books on SD card. It took ages to scan the SD card every time you delete one single book. The same problem with PRS-900. Asked Sony about the scan issue and they had no solution except for a) use internal memory only b) don't put too much books on SD card.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 04:49 AM   #20
vietchovui
Zealot
vietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enoughvietchovui will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS T1, Kobo Forma 8G, Kobo Libra H2O
Why calibre or Reader Library don't create a file including all info about books, music,... that have been transferred to the reader while synchronizing, and when we turn on the reader, it had to load only that file and understands what is located on the memory. It's probably much quicker because the PC's processor is much faster than the reader!
vietchovui is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-03-2010, 02:12 PM   #21
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
I believe there are many ways to bypass that scanning problem. But somehow Sony isn't that smart or they don't care about problems of customers.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2010, 07:13 PM   #22
elcreative
Wizard
elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elcreative ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS505, 600, 350, 650, Nexus 7, Note III, iPad 4 etc
Use PRS+ on 505... look in Sony Reader Dev Corner section for Enhanced Firmware for PRS etc. Modifies Sony setup, allows switching of card scan and then browse by Folder/File... works fine with around 25K books so far... and only used 6.9GB of a 16GB card so plenty of room left...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyDream View Post
@vietchovui : Discovered the same problem with PRS-505 when trying to put a collection of ~2500 books on SD card. It took ages to scan the SD card every time you delete one single book. The same problem with PRS-900. Asked Sony about the scan issue and they had no solution except for a) use internal memory only b) don't put too much books on SD card.
elcreative is offline   Reply With Quote