Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-12-2009, 12:04 PM   #1
ggreene
ggreene began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
How to format and can you share?

Hello everyone,
I own a kindle but my two aunts have the Sony and I'm trying to do a crash course on helping them load books this weekend for them. Can you download pdf files to a memory card to read on the Sony? They both have accounts set up and have bought books, can they share these by storing them on their memory cards? With so many great sites to get books off I was hoping to show them an easy way to do it. As we're in Canada, they pay even more for the books from the sony website because of the exchange rate. I know you've all been asked this a 1000 times I'm just hoping for some "idiot proof" advice so that I can pass it on to them. It's taken me long enough to learn how to format for the Kindle.

IMO, the light for the Sony is far superior then anything I can get for the Kindle. (Don't tell the kindle world I said that...lol)
ggreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 01:14 PM   #2
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
If you bought ebooks from the Sony store then you can share books for the most part. The Sony will only work with Sony store books that were bought from the account that the books were bought from.

Are the PDFs DRM free? If so, then yes those could be shared. If not, then once again, no... unless the readers are authorized to the same Adobe ID.

Hope that helps, you really didn't give much info as to where you got the books, what format they were, if they had DRM etc.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-12-2009, 01:42 PM   #3
ggreene
ggreene began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I believe most of the books have come off of the sony site. I'd like to be able to download the free books from feedbooks, fictionwise and those sites. I'm really sorry, I just don't know very much at all about the Sony. If the books came from the Sony site, should I assume they are DRM and then they can't be shared? The format that manybooks.net uses would I have to convert them somehow? Does Sony support PDF files or do they need to be converted? I have about 20 books in text format and I was hoping they'd work for them.
ggreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2009, 07:18 PM   #4
lilac_jive
Grand Sorcerer
lilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud oflilac_jive has much to be proud of

Device: PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreene View Post
I believe most of the books have come off of the sony site. I'd like to be able to download the free books from feedbooks, fictionwise and those sites. I'm really sorry, I just don't know very much at all about the Sony. If the books came from the Sony site, should I assume they are DRM and then they can't be shared? The format that manybooks.net uses would I have to convert them somehow? Does Sony support PDF files or do they need to be converted? I have about 20 books in text format and I was hoping they'd work for them.
They can share them if the register on the same account. If they aren't right now, they can deregister one and reregister. Sony allows books to be shared on up to 6 (I think) devices on the same account.

Sony does support PDF. As for your other questions, I'm not sure. You can download the free books from those sites in LRF, but I'm not sure about sharing.
lilac_jive is offline   Reply With Quote