Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #1
drnkusv
drnkusv began at the beginning.

Device: iPhone
Errors on Command Line

I am sure I am doing something wrong, but I am having an odd problem:

Everything works fine for me from the GUI, but when I try to run feeds2epub from the command line, it starts up properly and grabs the feeds, but then it runs into a lot of errors as it goes along saying that it was not able to download specific articles. (I have tried this with WSJ and NY Times). I end up with an epub that has maybe 40% of the content that is generated when I run the same recipe with the GUI.

Anyone have any idea what the problem is?

This is the command I am running:

/Applications/calibre.app/Contents/Resources/loaders/feeds2epub -u username -p password "The Wall Street Journal" (obviously I replace username and password with my actual username and password)

As it runs, I get a whole bunch of error messages that look like this:

WARNING: Could not fetch link http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122598031749104947.html

ERROR: Failed to download article: Red Ink at Blackstone Gets Deeper from http://online.wsj.com/article/SB122598031749104947.html
drnkusv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 12:13 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You should run the commands as /usr/bin/feeds2epub
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2008, 12:18 PM   #3
drnkusv

Thanks -- but exactly the same result (same error messages).
Old 11-06-2008, 12:57 PM   #4
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Run it with --debug to see why the errors are happening
Old 11-06-2008, 01:20 PM   #5
drnkusv

Ran it with --debug. It is generating some explanatory information, but nothing that I can figure out. Output is attached, in case you have time to take a quick look.

Thanks.
Attached Files
File Type: rtf debug.rtf (16.0 KB, 430 views)
Advert
Old 11-06-2008, 02:11 PM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

Those are some very strange errors, it's almost like the connection to the remote host is being closed between the calls to open and read

I'll add a partial workaround that should make it more robust.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:12 PM   #7
drnkusv

Thanks. The really strange part (at least to me) is that it works ok with the GUI and only causes these problems at the command line.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:24 PM   #8
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

It's a multi-threading issue, those are never predictable . I've fixed it in trunk.
Old 11-07-2008, 12:47 AM   #9
drnkusv

Works great under 103. Thanks!
Old 11-07-2008, 01:54 PM   #10
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
This might be related. Running calibredb from the command line with 103:
Quote:
C:\Program Files\calibre>calibredb list --fields=authors
idauthors
3 Homer
4 Edgar Rice Burroughs
5 Edgar Rice Burroughs
6 Edgar Rice Burroughs
7 Homer

Exception in thread Thread-1 (most likely raised during interpreter shutdown):
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "threading.pyo", line 486, in __bootstrap_inner
File "calibre\library\sqlite.pyo", line 74, in run
File "Queue.pyo", line 165, in get
File "threading.pyo", line 209, in wait
<type 'exceptions.TypeError'>: 'NoneType' object is not callable
Happens on many different calibredb commands.

Cheers,
Crazy
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 02:25 PM   #11
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre

That exception can be ignored (it happens during interpreter shutdown)
Old 11-07-2008, 02:59 PM   #12
RoninTech
Groupie
RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RoninTech ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Nook Colour, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo, Nexus 7, Nexus 5, Pixel
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That exception can be ignored (it happens during interpreter shutdown)
I just need to let my scripts know that
RoninTech is offline   Reply With Quote