Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 03-30-2017, 01:28 AM   #1
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T2, ADE on PC
Lazy user wants to know... TOC generation

Is there any way to force the Sigil TOC auto-generation to use *all* the existing ID tags?

I always add my own ID codes to headings. I note that when the TOC is auto-generated, if the ID is at the top of the (x)html page, Sigil will omit that ID from the link, and only use the file name.

Thus, if I have coded a page so:
Quote:
[line 5] <h4 id="a01-23">Hoodoo McFiggin’s Christmas</h4>

[line 80]<h4 id="a01-24">The Life of John Smith</h4>

The html TOC will look like this (toc.ncx information is similar):
Quote:
<div class="sgc-toc-level-2">
<a href="../Text/A01b-LitLapses.html">Hoodoo McFiggin’s Christmas</a>
</div>

<div class="sgc-toc-level-2">
<a href="../Text/A01b-LitLapses.html#a01-24">The Life of John Smith</a>
</div>
I use the TOC information to create index or other pages needing links. Because I use AutoHotKey scripts, I rely on character-count to get the required link info.

Is there any way to get ALL the IDs to appear, or is it only possible to manually edit to replace them?
(I think I know what the answer is, but hope springs eternal.)
GrannyGrump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 02:29 AM   #2
Doitsu
Grand Sorcerer
Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Doitsu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrannyGrump View Post
Is there any way to force the Sigil TOC auto-generation to use *all* the existing ID tags?
It might be possible to write a Python script for that, however, IIRC, you're using an older Sigil version.

AFAIK, the only way to outsmart Sigil is to insert a dummy h1 heading with a sigil_not_in_toc class after the body tag. I.e., you'd have to do the following:

1. Replace all <body> tags with <body><h1 id="dummy" class="sigil_not_in_toc">dummy</h1>.

2. Generate the TOC.

3. Delete all <h1 id="dummy" class="sigil_not_in_toc">dummy</h1> headings.

Last edited by Doitsu; 03-30-2017 at 02:49 AM.
Doitsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2017, 02:45 AM   #3
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...
GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GrannyGrump ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yup, still using v 0.8.6

I am going to upgrade Any Day Now (TM).
(as I have been saying for months....)

The dummy heading is a fast and easy workaround, thank you so much for that! That will see me through.
Old 03-30-2017, 07:03 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Just a quick note, on some Readers, the more ID's you have in the NCX ToC, the slower it will be to pull up the NCX ToC. So what Sigil is correctly doing is not using the ID when all you are doing is having the ToC entry go to the top of the file.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 07:14 AM   #5
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

Oh, understood. Sigil is doing exactly what it is designed to do, to provide the most "economical" ncx.

But in this case, I am essentially using "copy & paste" to use those links elsewhere than in the TOC. So I really do need the IDs for those pasted links in my alphabetical "Index of Titles", which is really just a page full of links. Otherwise, Pagina EpubCheck will warn me about unidentified URL fragments (missing IDs), and the links will fail.

Last edited by GrannyGrump; 03-30-2017 at 07:16 AM.
Advert
Old 03-30-2017, 10:03 AM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
GG
You might generate an Inline (TOC) Index with your id markers and keep the traditional NCX (for better performance), just add you 'Index" to the regular TOC (NCX)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2017, 01:36 PM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Oh, understood. Sigil is doing exactly what it is designed to do, to provide the most "economical" ncx.

But in this case, I am essentially using "copy & paste" to use those links elsewhere than in the TOC. So I really do need the IDs for those pasted links in my alphabetical "Index of Titles", which is really just a page full of links. Otherwise, Pagina EpubCheck will warn me about unidentified URL fragments (missing IDs), and the links will fail.
Where do you need these ID's? The links without the ID's won't cause an unidentified URL fragments.
Old 03-31-2017, 12:35 AM   #8
GrannyGrump
Obsessively Dedicated...

@theDucks --- that is the way I will go. Thanks!

@JSWolf --- sorry, tail end of a long day, I used the wrong terminology. Error message I meant is: Fragment identifier is not defined.
When I have multiple targets all on the same page/html file, each target must have a unique id. If each clickable link does not have a unique target id to go to, things go south real soon.

The page I am constructing has approx. 600 items, so I want to avoid manual editing if I possibly can.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:12 AM   #9
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just a quick note, on some Readers, the more ID's you have in the NCX ToC, the slower it will be to pull up the NCX ToC. So what Sigil is correctly doing is not using the ID when all you are doing is having the ToC entry go to the top of the file.
For my curiosity, which ereaders and at how many ids in the ToC? And are you sure it is the number of ids and not simply the number of ToC entries?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 09:26 AM   #10
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Hi All,
Sorry to be late to this discussion but Doitsu just pointed it out to me ... ;-)

I am not sure I understand exactly what is being asked for here. Would you please provide one xhtml code snippet from the area around the body tag that shows exactly why or how you need to NOT use an id that defaults to the top of the file? That will help me better to understand what is going on that the current TOC algorithm is not doing well with.

Right now, the code in Sigil sets any *first* heading in a file after after the body tag that is within 20 source lines from the line with the body tag to point to the top of the file (in other words, no need for an fragment).

Normally this is a good thing and is what most people want since it makes for fewer fragments and less code in general.

If there is a good argument / logic why this creates an issue with NCX or Nav generation, I would be happy to consider making the 20 source line difference a user controllable setting (or disabling this check completely).

But I would have to understand the use case or problem (and I am not sure I do now) and would have to see that a simple search and replace to insert a hidden "dummy" header, right after the body tag wouldn't work just as well. After generating the NCX/TOC/NAV, a second Search & Replace can remove the hidden header tags easily to prevent code bloat.

In general, I really hate adding new settings that would just confuse most novice users when a simple workaround by experienced users would prevent the entire issue. But if it is needed to prevent bugs in TOC/NCX/Nav creation under some circumstances, then a setting is probably needed.

Thanks

Last edited by KevinH; 03-31-2017 at 09:41 AM.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:22 AM   #11
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
To add to this discussion of the "20 lines" setting I ran the following test and it nicely used the fragment when it built the toc.ncx

Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="utf-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
  "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">

<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml">
<head>
<title></title>
</head>
<body>
<!-- this is a comment

-->
<h1 id="huh">This is a heading</h1>
<p>&nbsp;</p>
</body>
</html>
So if we make that a "setting" then changing that setting to 2, would surely make it easy to add a workaround by just adding a comment or even just a blank line after body to control things.
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:34 AM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
@JSWolf --- sorry, tail end of a long day, I used the wrong terminology. Error message I meant is: Fragment identifier is not defined. When I have multiple targets all on the same page/html file, each target must have a unique id. If each clickable link does not have a unique target id to go to, things go south real soon.
So why not have links that go to the top of the flow not use an ID and all the rest use an ID? Some Readers/apps do slow down when the ToC uses IDs. So the less IDs you can use, the better.
Old 03-31-2017, 10:43 AM   #13
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
So why not have links that go to the top of the flow not use an ID and all the rest use an ID? Some Readers/apps do slow down when the ToC uses IDs. So the less IDs you can use, the better.
Because, if someone who favors huge, monoliths joins all the HTML sections, it is broke. Merge only adjusts the filename.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2017, 10:52 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Because, if someone who favors huge, monoliths joins all the HTML sections, it is broke. Merge only adjusts the filename.
And in that case, it's up to that person to fix the problem he/she has now caused. There's no reason to punish others for something someone might do. Also, this means changing the Sigil code to do something that's not optimal.
Old 03-31-2017, 11:05 AM   #15
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
At one point (long ago) Sigil didn't default to the top of the file (ToC generation). Then I remember a discussion taking place, and the behavior being changed to what it is now. I don't remember the driving force behind the change.

I admit I'm having difficulty understanding GrannyGrump's workflow, and how Sigil's default behavior is hampering it. I understand the need to be able to copy/paste urls en masse. I'm just not quite understanding how the undefined fragment errors might be introduced when doing so. Sigil's TOC generation routines don't remove any IDs, so with or without an url fragment, the target should still exist.

Is it possible the "undefined url fragment" errors are completely unrelated to the task at hand?

There are avoidable conditions where splitting/merging with Sigil will create broken urls that will produce such an error when validating. I know because I recently modified Sigil to warn a user that those conditions are present before performing the split/merge.

Perhaps a small, step-by-step example of the workflow involved (with a sample epub) would help us understand better?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote