Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-05-2013, 11:35 PM   #16
bgalbrecht
Wizard
bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bgalbrecht ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Glo HD, Kobo Clara HD, Kindle 4
I hate reading PDFs on my Nook Simple Touch because the font is either several sizes too small, or if I change the font size to something readable, the PDFs lose their formatting and are basically unreadable. They're usually readable with the larger Nook color tablets. I also find that epubs are usually smaller than PDFs, sometimes an order of magnitude smaller.
bgalbrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 11:51 PM   #17
meeera
Grand Sorcerer
meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meeera ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, iPadMini4, iPad4, MBP; support other Kobo/Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsem View Post
You would use the same font size as you use for print, or perhaps a little smaller (I think people tend to hold ereaders a little closer than a book). Just lay it out on 6" (diagonal) pages. People will complain the text is is too big or too small in any case, but that is true of print books also. I would reduce the margins from what the print version has, and consider eliminating headers or footers (or maybe using only a footer with chapter name and page number) for the 'ereader' PDF. Screen real estate is at a premium. I think such a PDF would work adequately on a smartphone also, as those typically are held closer still.

Of course if the resources are there to create reflowable formats that would be ideal. But it is more work and involves additional toolsets, ideally some understanding of HTML/CSS. There is work to create this specialized PDF too but it uses the same tools and in general will be much less work.

Anyway, just wanted to explore the option more as everyone else seemed to dismiss it out of hand.
I dismiss it, but not out of hand. Many people who use ereaders specifically do so because of the ability to customise the text - font, size, all the rest of it. Many of these people do so because they otherwise cannot access the text. By restricting yourself to PDF, you are explicitly saying "This book is not for you" to a number of your potential customers with disabilities - for no reason other than sheer wilful ignorance. This is a bad move on a number of levels.

(And yeah, I know you can zoom and pan. Ever tried reading a whole novel that way?)
meeera is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-06-2013, 12:47 AM   #18
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
You would use the same font size as you use for print, or perhaps a little smaller (I think people tend to hold ereaders a little closer than a book). Just lay it out on 6" (diagonal) pages. People will complain the text is is too big or too small in any case, but that is true of print books also. I would reduce the margins from what the print version has, and consider eliminating headers or footers (or maybe using only a footer with chapter name and page number) for the 'ereader' PDF. Screen real estate is at a premium. I think such a PDF would work adequately on a smartphone also, as those typically are held closer still.

Of course if the resources are there to create reflowable formats that would be ideal. But it is more work and involves additional toolsets, ideally some understanding of HTML/CSS. There is work to create this specialized PDF too but it uses the same tools and in general will be much less work.

Anyway, just wanted to explore the option more as everyone else seemed to dismiss it out of hand.
If you use the same size as print or smaller and have pdf only, you have gotten rid of one of the best things about ebooks - I can choose my own font size! Also, I really do need 28 to 30 font size for a six inch screen - that's got to be more than double what a "standard" font size would be. I would not be able to use it in pdf format even with my Sony which is one of the better for pdf from what I have seen people say.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 03:41 AM   #19
faltradl
Guru
faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faltradl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
You can't really format it for a six inch screen. What font size will you use? If you make it 28 pt font so that I could read it, a lot of other people would complain it was too big for them.
You would use the same font size as you use for print, or perhaps a little smaller (I think people tend to hold ereaders a little closer than a book). Just lay it out on 6" (diagonal) pages.
That's a way if the user produces the PDF by his own. Then he can chose the fontsize. The problem of foreign PDF is, that the fontsize is fixed. And the size of paper too.

Last edited by faltradl; 09-06-2013 at 11:42 AM.
faltradl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2013, 10:41 AM   #20
greenasterisk
Enthusiast
greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by AshleyLynn View Post
Hello everybody,

I'm in an interesting situation at the moment. I have a client who has a designed print version of a book and wants to make a version for Kindles and other eBooks.

This client read somewhere that all eBooks can read PDFs, so she's thinking we can just convert the print version to a PDF and call it a day. I think that's not the route to take. The beauty of ePubs is that they are fluid; PDFs are not. I'm no expert when it comes to PDFs on eBooks, but I don't think PDFs can come loaded with metadata (name of book, author, publish date, built-in table of contents) nor can I create hyperlinks within (such as creating my own TOC that will appear at the beginning of the ePub).

What's everyone's opinion on this? Am I right in thinking that PDF is NOT the way to go?

Thanks for reading!
The type of book here is important. If your client has a book that has very few images and mostly text, your decision to go with an ePub makes total sense. However if the book is image heavy it might make sense to stick with a pdf.
greenasterisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-08-2013, 02:43 PM   #21
Sefiriot
Bujavid tekikin
Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.Sefiriot writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: LG G3 D855, Samsung Galaxy Note N7000
Not really. ePubs can do images fairly well, and for me, reading on a smaller screen, reflowable and resizeable text trumps pretty layouts. Unless of course the whole point of the book is in the pictures; but I'm assuming that the pictures supplement the information conveyed in the text, which should be central.

Personally, I'd want the data presented in a way I can read and understand it without being irritated or getting an RSI from repeated panning and zooming. Or having to buy new eyeglasses because of eyestrain increasing my prescription. PDFs are evil for all of the above reasons.
Sefiriot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 10:47 PM   #22
greenasterisk
Enthusiast
greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.greenasterisk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breid View Post
Lock your client in a cupboard and do not let him/her out until they agree that epub is the way to go
I think I may have stumbled on to the inspiration behind Chronicles of Narnia.
greenasterisk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #23
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
No PDF.
No. No. No.
I will not buy.
I shall not buy.
No PDF, NO!

Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 04:07 PM   #24
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
I would suggest to your client that having more than one format will increase sales. It should be easy to check what other people are using primarily in her field. Also where she wants to sell her book would be important. Personal website, the more choices the better. Amazon, obviously at least one of the Amazon formats. Likewise Kobo. If her intended vender sells several formats they should all be included.

While many people use PDF and have tablets or computers to read them on, PDF is unlikely to appeal to the ereader crowd.

If she is writing an engineering book that is highly anticipated, PDF would probably be good enough. Fiction, good luck with that there.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:26 PM   #25
laughingdragons
Groupie
laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.laughingdragons ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350 1 Pink 1 Silver Paperwhite Kindle
I've tried pdf's and won't do it again. The file is to large making it a lot slower to turn pages.

Epub is the way to go.
laughingdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:30 PM   #26
Stephen OConnell
Stephen OConnell began at the beginning.

Device: iPad/Kindle Paperwhite
I can't believe that somebody in 2013 would seriously consider the PDF format over EPUB for an e-book!
Stephen OConnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 06:52 PM   #27
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen OConnell View Post
I can't believe that somebody in 2013 would seriously consider the PDF format over EPUB for an e-book!
Yet many do. Microsoft still has quite a few PDF only.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:31 PM   #28
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
PDFs are fine for computer screens or larger tablets. Maybe.

They are horrible for e-readers.

It's impossible to adjust the fonts with any degree of granularity--in other words too large or too small, not usually "just right." Many people get e-readers because of the ability to adjust font size.

E-readers that attempt to "flow" pdfs end up having weird results in respect to hyphenation and page breaks. These are disruptive to the reading experience. So are the e-readers that force you to either read the pdf in too-small font or read only the right or left HALF of the page at a time. That's even worse.

Don't do it. Or if you must, make the pdf IN ADDITION to the epub offering so those of us who aren't reading on laptop screens can avoid it; then your client can analyze what sells/moves better.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:05 PM   #29
alicepattinson
Banned
alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alicepattinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire
to make it short, ePub will always be it hihihih
alicepattinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 11:20 PM   #30
Difflugia
Testate Amoeba
Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Difflugia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Many Android devices, Kindle 2, Toshiba e755 PocketPC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joykins View Post
PDFs are fine for computer screens or larger tablets. Maybe.

They are horrible for e-readers.

[...snip...]

Don't do it. Or if you must, make the pdf IN ADDITION to the epub offering so those of us who aren't reading on laptop screens can avoid it; then your client can analyze what sells/moves better.
This.

I preferentially buy PDF when it's formatted like the printed book (or, at least not 8.5"x11" that looks like it was formatted with a browser). I recognize, however, that I'm in a tiny minority as I'm down to one store (ebooks.com) that sells a reasonable number of them and the publishers aren't even offering the option on most new books. Additionally, I switched from a reader to a tablet specifically because PDFs were tough to read on the reader.
Difflugia is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ebook, epub, opinion, pdf