Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 03-28-2016, 03:54 AM   #46
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
You can also use the search bar settime shortcut: ;st
But can you still append shell commands to the date strings (e.g. to push a reverse shell), as you could on older kindles? As I recall, it was not root (i.e. user 'framework') but good enough to grab /etc/shadow (fodder for JOHN). Of course, that was before we learned to decode the root password from serial MD5, and before new jailbreak methods. If it still works, perhaps a way into new locked kindles.

EDIT: Admittedly off-topic, but related to that date search command.

Last edited by geekmaster; 03-28-2016 at 04:02 AM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2016, 08:01 AM   #47
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by geekmaster View Post
But can you still append shell commands to the date strings (e.g. to push a reverse shell), as you could on older kindles? As I recall, it was not root (i.e. user 'framework') but good enough to grab /etc/shadow (fodder for JOHN). Of course, that was before we learned to decode the root password from serial MD5, and before new jailbreak methods. If it still works, perhaps a way into new locked kindles.

EDIT: Admittedly off-topic, but related to that date search command.
That is a WIP, to review all of the shortcuts, I should be able to answer sometime, RSN.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-20-2020, 04:03 PM   #48
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur
RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle PW4
I get a "Message from ntupdate command was: Exiting, name server cannot be used: Temporary failure in name resolution (-3)" in the ntpdate log file. I have tried with different time servers, which I can access from other machines on my network just fine. PW4 running 5.11.2 and everything else works (coplate's latest KUAL, screensavers etc). I'm using the json per the red comment in the first post, and when I edited the npdate.conf I used Notepad++ so retained UNIX line endings.

Any ideas please?
RandomGiraffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 04:57 PM   #49
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGiraffe View Post
I get a "Message from ntupdate command was: Exiting, name server cannot be used: Temporary failure in name resolution (-3)" in the ntpdate log file. I have tried with different time servers, which I can access from other machines on my network just fine. PW4 running 5.11.2 and everything else works (coplate's latest KUAL, screensavers etc). I'm using the json per the red comment in the first post, and when I edited the npdate.conf I used Notepad++ so retained UNIX line endings.

Any ideas please?
Is your kindle networked to the internet or only your LAN? If the latter, are any of the computers on your LAN NTP servers? For example, any linux computer running ntpd can be an NTP server.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2020, 05:41 PM   #50
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur
RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.RandomGiraffe once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
Is your kindle networked to the internet or only your LAN? If the latter, are any of the computers on your LAN NTP servers? For example, any linux computer running ntpd can be an NTP server.
It connects to t'Internet
Advert
Old 01-20-2020, 06:31 PM   #51
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
Originally Posted by RandomGiraffe View Post

Any ideas please?
I didn't read close enough the first time.

It looks like DNS lookup is misconfigured on your kindle.

I don't remember whether NTP utilities require domain names for some reason or will work with IP addresses. You can try substituting NTP server IP addresses for their domain names and see if that works. I think it should.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2020, 01:05 AM   #52
RandomGiraffe
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.p.s View Post
I didn't read close enough the first time.

It looks like DNS lookup is misconfigured on your kindle.

I don't remember whether NTP utilities require domain names for some reason or will work with IP addresses. You can try substituting NTP server IP addresses for their domain names and see if that works. I think it should.
Good thinking! Replaced them all with IP addresses and the log says all successful... however, it doesn’t actually change my Kindle time!

Think I’ll stick to doing it manually!
Old 04-27-2020, 08:41 PM   #53
erdosain9
erdosain9 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3.4.2 (keyboard)
Hi.
This is not working for me. I mean, it runs, but does not show the Time properly. I mean, i live on Argentina (south america), and try with ar.pool.ntp.org........ this gives an hour...... but, is not the actual time.
So... whats the problem here?
Thanks all.
erdosain9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2020, 12:46 PM   #54
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That url redirects here:
https://www.aggo-conicet.gob.ar/index.php?Idioma=EN
Which reads "site under construction".
*) That might have something to do with your problem.

I do not recall that I ever intended for this to be used on a K3.
IIRC, It is for K5 and newer.
*) That might have something to do with your problem.

*) I don't recall that the script ever produced the time and date on a readable output, it only changed the internal settings (yep, it changes both of them which was the purpose).

But the details of anything I wrote 7 years ago is total gone from my recall. (see: avatar)

Last edited by knc1; 04-28-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 04-30-2020, 06:25 AM   #55
darkcheater
darkcheater began at the beginning.

Device: K4NT Black
Hello,
I unfortunately can't get the button to show in KUAL.
I have a K4NT black and am using KUAL v2.7.23

I tried everything that was already suggested.
I tried the original zip 1.0.1 and removed the comma from the menu.json.
I also tried the whole ntpdate folder from the new repo.
And I tried the original zip 1.0.1 with the menu.json from the new repo.

What else could I try?
I have Firmware 4.1.3

Thanks for your help!
darkcheater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 10:23 AM   #56
trcm
Connoisseur
trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!trcm rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kindle PW4, Libra H2O
Trailing ',' on line 7 of menu.json ?
KUAL logs show it whining about expecting a value but getting a ']'.

Also, this default one no longer exists.
$ host nist.time.nosc.us
Host nist.time.nosc.us not found: 3(NXDOMAIN)

Last edited by trcm; 04-30-2020 at 10:33 AM.
trcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2020, 08:45 PM   #57
knc1
Going Viral

The "missing" semi-colon was a mistake on my part, adding it in will make the newer (current) KUAL work.
I always keep forgetting to update that file.

When, if ever, I get around to fixing things to "just work" again - I'll update the time.* main sites.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:03 AM   #58
darkcheater

Thanks for your answer but as I told you, I already tried removing the comma from line 7 in the menu.json.
I tried package helper2-1.0.1 with this menu.json (removed trailing comma from line 7)
Code:
{
    "items": [
        {
        "name": "Helper",
        "priority": 0,
            {"name": "Set DateTime from Server", "priority": 1, "action": "bin/ntpdate.sh"}
        ]
        }
    ]
}
However I don't get the entry to show in KUAL.
Then I tried the same package with the menu.json from the new repo:
Code:
{
        {
        "name": "DateTime",
        "priority": 0,
            {"name": "Set DateTime from Server", "priority": 0, "action": "bin/ntpdate.sh"}
        ]
        }
    ]
}
But this didn't work either.
The last thing I tried was copy the whole ntpdate folder from the new repo to the extensions directory.
Unfortunately, that also didn't lead to any success.

Also the KUAL.log under /tmp is empty. How can I look into the KUAL.log and where is it located?

Thanks and best regards!
Old 05-01-2020, 08:23 AM   #59
darkcheater

well, that is strange: I just noticed that the folder (helper2) I copied to the extensions directory is not visible when I
Code:
ls -l /mnt/us/extensions
what could be wrong?
Old 05-01-2020, 08:29 AM   #60
darkcheater

OK, I copied the folder via WinSCP and now I got it to show