Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

View Poll Results: Stuck In Rut? What Should I Read?
Persuasion by Jane Austen 5 11.36%
Shadow Blade by Seressia Glass 3 6.82%
A Town Like Alice by Nevil Shute 12 27.27%
The Iron King by Julie Kagawa 3 6.82%
Blood Song by Cat Adams 1 2.27%
The Vampire's Assistant and Other Tales from the Cirque Du Freak by Darren Shan 3 6.82%
The Great Book of Amber by Roger Zelazny 18 40.91%
The Secret Life of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd 4 9.09%
The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao by Junot Díaz 5 11.36%
Survival by Julie E. Czerneda 1 2.27%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 44. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2013, 05:23 AM   #16
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
A Town Like Alice got my vote. It is one of the best books of the 20th century. Much better, I think, than his On the Beach book. It is one of the few books I have read multiple times.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 AM   #17
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhadin View Post
A Town Like Alice got my vote. It is one of the best books of the 20th century. Much better, I think, than his On the Beach book. It is one of the few books I have read multiple times.
Are you going to participate in the book club's discussion on this in Feb? As you've read it multiple times you may have an interesting perspective that first time readers might not have.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 07:45 AM   #18
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billi View Post
Very general, I would firstly make a decision between the first and the last five books. Do you plan to read the first books at all? They sound a little bit like a duty and if you want to read them, then do it immediately. Otherwise they will always stay in your backhead and "torture" you.

From them I would propose "I town like Alice". I personally like "Persuasion" more but not only the discussion in the book club showed that some people are struggling through it, especially through the first half.

If you decide against them all then delete them from any list that they don't clutter your brain anymore and follow the good advice of the other posters here.
I already own and do plan to read all of them, eventually. The only one that feels like a "chore " at the moment is Persuasion. I think its because I already have an idea about how its going to end,
Spoiler:
Anne with Captain Wentworth and Sir Walter Elliot with Ms. Clay. I have no idea, however, as to what happens to Elizabeth.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreams View Post
Roger Zelazny's Amber Omnibus is my choice too.

I read them years ago, a book at a time, as I borrowed them from a friend. i wasn't really interested in reading them, but he kept telling me I would love them. I did.

I was so into the story a few times that I couldn't put the book down and go to sleep. I kept turning the light on again to just read a few more pages.

Then I bought the paperback omnibus a few years later and read it all again. I plan on rereading the omnibus again, but may have to get the digital version, as the paperback omnibus is so big and heavy.
It is quite huge and will definitely be staying home. The runner-up in this poll will most likely be my "away" read, unless its Cirque Du Freak,
which as a 3 book omnibus, is also quite large.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
As for Persuasion, if you didn't like it the first read, you'll not like it now. Besides, lfe it too short to spend reading something that's that boring.
I was actually enjoying it in the beginning.

Last edited by Nyssa; 01-31-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 AM   #19
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
I don't know if I'll actually vote, but FWIW, I'm in a bit of a rut myself right now and I plan to read A Town Like Alice. Because of the book club it's kind of a "chore", but it's a book I really want to read, so it's not one of those unpleasant chores. I hope...
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:28 AM   #20
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I voted for Amber. The second set of 5 is a bit weaker than the first set of 5, but they're great fun. One of those series that make you wish things were really like that.

My second choice would be the Nevil Shute. I haven't read it yet, but I'm fairly confident that it will keep you engaged. I don't follow the book club threads, and didn't realise this was next month's pick. I have a complete set of Shute pbooks of various vintages I inherited from my father, and might join in. The only one I've read so far is No Highway, about this time last year, and I really enjoyed that.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2013, 08:50 AM   #21
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I vote for The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. It's on my list to read this year.
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:51 AM   #22
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeInMyShoes View Post
I vote for The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao. It's on my list to read this year.
I received it as a Christmas gift. It sounds facinating.
Old 01-31-2013, 10:43 AM   #23
BenG
Home Guard
BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BenG ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3G, iPhone 6
I voted for Zelzany. Like Dr Nefario said, the first series is better but both are good and they're quick reads. The individual books were only 200+ pages when originally published, not the 300-400 page books that are the standard nowadays.

I haven't read A Town Like Alice, but Shute is almost always good reading.
BenG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #24
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nyssa View Post
The only one that feels like a "chore " at the moment is Persuasion. I think its because I already have an idea about how its going to end,
Spoiler:
Anne with Captain Wentworth and Sir Walter Elliot with Ms. Clay. I have no idea, however, as to what happens to Elizabeth.
Read it! Maybe you will be surprised!

Whatever you read, enjoy your free day and this huge amount of reading time!
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:49 PM   #25
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I voted for Alice and Amber.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:33 PM   #26
MrsJoseph
Loves Ellipsis...
MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MrsJoseph ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi (broken), nook STR (returned), Kobo Touch, Sony T1
I found Amber to be exhausting. Maybe it would work better if it were not in an omnibus. *shudder*

I really enjoyed Shadow Blade! It's UF with a slightly different twist. If you haven't gotten OD'd on UF lately...you might not appreciate the lack of romance and the character building in it. ;-)

I've heard some great things about Julie Kagawa.
MrsJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 03:12 PM   #27
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Shadow Blade sounded the most exciting. When you are in a rut you need exciting.

The only one I've read is The Iron King and it was pretty good for YA. It's not my favourite genre but the world she created was interesting and the supporting characters were a real treat (and to be honest outshone the main characters).
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:06 PM   #28
Nyssa
Series Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
I found Amber to be exhausting. Maybe it would work better if it were not in an omnibus. *shudder*

I really enjoyed Shadow Blade! It's UF with a slightly different twist. If you haven't gotten OD'd on UF lately...you might not appreciate the lack of romance and the character building in it. ;-)

I've heard some great things about Julie Kagawa.
Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Shadow Blade sounded the most exciting. When you are in a rut you need exciting.

The only one I've read is The Iron King and it was pretty good for YA. It's not my favourite genre but the world she created was interesting and the supporting characters were a real treat (and to be honest outshone the main characters).
Thank you both!

Shadow Blade does start out really interestingly, and I expected it to grab me and take off running, so I am surprised that it didn't... I'm guessing (and hoping) that it was just bad timing on my part.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:06 PM   #29
tilia
Evangelist
tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tilia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage, K3
The only book on your list I've read is Shadow Blade. I first tried reading it a year ago, and didn't get further than the first chapter and then put it aside. When it popped up as monthly read in a book-club, I decided to try again. I found it entertaining.

The Great Book of Amber and Survival looks interesting too. I just read about the Amber books, but I hadn't heard about Julie E. Czerneda before. More books to add to my maybe-to-read list... Thanks
tilia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:09 PM   #30
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
With Amber, you could do what I am doing. I am reading the Word & Void series by Terry Brooks. But instead of reading all three in a row, I am reading a book in between. That works so I don't get in a rut with the series.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote