Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 07-16-2007, 07:54 AM   #1
OnTheRoad
OnTheRoad began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader/T-Mobile SDA
How Robust When Travelling - Here's one answer for those interested

By way of introduction and a beneficiary of this forum over the last few months, I would add my experience as to how robust the reader is whilst traveling.

My wife and I have returned from traveling all over the Indian sub-continent for the last four months using feet, cars, rail, aircraft and only avoiding Yaks and horses because I'm a wimp.

We travelled from sea level to 15,875 feet and from temperatures ranging from -15C camping at 11,000 in the first week in March (a thicker pair of underpants would have been handy) to +48C in Varanasi via high humidity in the South and deserts in the north west.

The reader was carried in my backpack all the time for security and convenience when not in use. Earlier posts have highlighted the good idea of ensuring that the reader is wedged upright and between things in a pack to avoid it possibly bending or being at the bottom if the pack is dropped. I tried to do this but for the majority of the time failed through laziness.

Other than one very cold night in March at -15C the reader performed brilliantly. On that one occasion, the battery retreated wounded from the challenge as did camera batteries and the PDA battery, unsurprisingly.

There was never a problem on flights or putting the backpack with reader through x-ray machines and people on planes were only curious as to what it was rather than stampeding for the exits in case it was something sinister.

Charging was done via the standard (yet another) brick and wall adapters and even in the dodgy voltage supplies of India worked well on the few times required.

If anyone has any reservations about taking it overseas - forget it and relieve yourself of the burden of carrying paper.

Summary - brilliant and thanks to all the posts that convinced me to buy it in the first place ...... now, if only Sony could upgrade the software to address the niggles highlighted .....
OnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:12 AM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I carry around my Sony reader a lot in my bag. And it survives beautifully. You just never know when you might want to pull out a good book to read. I find the cover that comes with the Sony quite sufficient to keep it protected.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2007, 09:41 AM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The leather cover gives even better protection. Thoroughly recommended if you travel with the Reader a lot.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 09:51 AM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Great post on travelling with the Reader

I'm looking forward (during my next trip), when I can take it to Peru.

The last trip to Peru, I took my antiquated REB 1100.

Imagine: spending approx. 3-4 weeks in a foreign country and not having to charge it!

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The leather cover gives even better protection. Thoroughly recommended if you travel with the Reader a lot.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 02:38 PM   #5
KlondikeGeoff
Wombat Aficionado
KlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enoughKlondikeGeoff will become famous soon enough

Device: Fire, Kindle1, Sony PRS-500 Reader, Rocket 1100 eBook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The last trip to Peru, I took my antiquated REB 1100.
Excuse the hijack, but always interested in others who had/have the 1100. Do you still use it at all? I revert to it now and then when really need a backlighted reader, and it is still full of PG books. I find that unused, it holds a charge for a really long time.
KlondikeGeoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2007, 03:45 PM   #6
Arek_W
Connoisseur
Arek_W began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505, ASUS N636
I am really impressed by battery life & little space it takes. I used to use PDA to read ebooks & first thing I would do after arriving at the destination was the power outlet . It was similar to travelling with laptop, even with 2 batteries in it I was doomed to search for the power.

Reader, hasstle free. I mean light bag, papers & off we go. Monday charged, did home reading, some flying round EU, back home, Friday, still going. The only thing was checked by security twice in Brussels to explain what it was, U know, they make you take away your laptop so got some questions and weird comments when told them its an ebook reader . Same with flight attendants, please turn off all your electronic devices....

I am going in August to South Africa for RV touring so will see how long it lasts
Arek_W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2007, 03:51 PM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I actually have 3: one that works; one with screen grid....

that I've been unable to unlock - even when following directions; and a third that I took apart and havent' put back together again. There were problems with the touch screen on that 3rd one.

I agree with you on the charge. I was in Peru for 18 days and only had to charge it once, on my 1100. (It really came in handy on the flight: I turned it down to 20% and was able to read beautifully.)

However, I now use exclusively the Sony Reader I have.

Don

Quote:
Originally Posted by KlondikeGeoff View Post
Excuse the hijack, but always interested in others who had/have the 1100. Do you still use it at all? I revert to it now and then when really need a backlighted reader, and it is still full of PG books. I find that unused, it holds a charge for a really long time.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:03 PM   #8
Turtle Woman
Enthusiast
Turtle Woman began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Word of warning--if you're going to be on vacation for more than 2 weeks, take your charger. I went to Germany for 3 weeks in May and thought I would be fine because other than the plane rides I wouldn't be reading all that much. I didn't realize that the battery drains even though you aren't reading. (I've learned that since then from posts here.) After two weeks my battery was drained and I had to actually buy paperback books!
Turtle Woman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2007, 02:29 PM   #9
Foxymoron
Foxymoron began at the beginning.

Device: Sony EReader, Ebookwise
OntheRoad,
Thank you for your most thorough review attesting to the ruggedness of this gadget. Actually, I had some questions as to how well it might hold up with travel after being burned on this issue. My Ebookwise reader was reduced to doorstop status after it skydived out of my hand for all of 12 inches. The company was gracious in replacing it for a greatly reduced fee, but glad to hear this one is a little more road-worthy.

It sounds like you had a great couple of months, as for me, I can only read about that kind of adventure.
Foxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 12:16 AM   #10
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Foxymoron View Post
glad to hear this one is a little more road-worthy.
Yeah, you could call it roadworthy.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2007, 10:10 AM   #11
Foxymoron
Foxymoron began at the beginning.

Device: Sony EReader, Ebookwise
Ha, thanks for the link. Now THAT is impressive

Foxymoron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2007, 04:30 AM   #12
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
Sounds comforting to know that it held up so well along your trip. I would still hesitate to take mine to certain remote places, like the Amazon basin. Even paperback books don't fair too well down there. I remember the first night I spent there started out nice (I was roughing it in a tent), I did my usual routine of unwinding to a nice PB, went to sleep and the book was 1.5" thick, woke up and it had increased to 3" over night! Yikes, I had to leave some of my more precious reading; i.e., old/rare books, in the bags I had wrapped them in (you never know what's going to get squished out in your luggage). They survived, but the exposed books didn't fair too well due to the high himidity; not to mention a few sets of clothes didn't make it either, as they grew some strange new form of mold I couldn't launder out.

Don't know if I'd want to subject my Reader to these conditions, no telling how the electronics would fair or if they'd end up all rusted and withered inside.

Glad you had a nice trip to India!
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote