Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 02:14 PM   #1
Ladylynn
Shoulda known better...
Ladylynn began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Unhappy Sony Software Useless Left Menu Icons

Has this happened to anybody else?

My husband just recently upgraded my hard drive, so I've spent the past week or so reloading software and such. I loaded up the latest version of the Sony eReader Library software and started taking all my ebooks from my backup and adding them back into my eReader library. I think my problem began when I started redownloading my purchases from the Sony ebook store.

I got an "out of space" error for my reader. Considering I wasn't adding anything that hadn't already been on there, I decided to take a look. Somewhere along the line, something hiccuped. My reader now showed anywhere from two to ten copies of each of my purchased books. No wonder it was full!

I started the long and arduous task of cleaning up my library and resyncing my reader (it's a Sony Touch, if that makes any difference), when I suddenly got an error message saying the software had encountered a problem and needed to shut down. I figured it had hit a bad file during syncing (that has happened before), so I restarted the software. When it opened back up, my Books icon in the left menu was useless, as was my Library icon. Still is. I click on either of those and nothing happens. I can click on my collection folders and those will come up, but nothing happens when I click Books or Library. I've tried shutting down and restarting the software. I've tried rebooting my computer. I even uninstalled and reinstalled the software. Nothing has changed.

Any suggestions? I tried deleting my library (I though it was under My Books), thinking I could try starting again from scratch, but when the software restarted, it looked just like it had before I deleted.

Right now I'm trying to clean things up via Calibre, but I know I need that Sony software to download from the Sony ebook store.

TIA!
Ladylynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 02:54 PM   #2
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
This may be one of your problems, if I remember correctly...

If you are downloading your whole collection from the Reader Library, don't hit the "Download all checked" button until you have checked all the ebooks (there may be several pages of them) that you want to download.

If you are downloading one page at a time, of your collection, remember to uncheck the boxes on the current page before going to the next page, otherwise the current page will be re-downloaded again when you hit the "Download all checked" button on subsequent pages...and again every time you hit that "Download all checked" button.

Clear as mud.

I did this the wrong way the first time and downloaded multiple copies of every book, except of course the last page.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 04:01 PM   #3
Ladylynn
Shoulda known better...

Yeah, I think that's what I did when downloading my books from the Sony ebook store. I assumed each page was its own entity. Silly me.

I finally got all the extra books of my reader using Calibre, problem is those Library and Books icons on the left menu in my Sony software are still useless.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:14 PM   #4
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
A post on another thread -> here, mentions a Reader Library delete/cleanup/re-install fix.
Quote:
I believe it does a full uninstall and cleanup. Then it does a reinstall.
You should read around that post for some other clues. Like first trying to delete the hidden files before reinstalling. I'm not sure if this will fix your problem. Appropriate files should probably be backed up if you try it. You may want to ask Sony support.

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 10-07-2010 at 04:18 PM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 04:19 PM   #5
doreenjoy
01000100 01001010
doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doreenjoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Polyamorous
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wetdogeared View Post
This may be one of your problems, if I remember correctly...

If you are downloading your whole collection from the Reader Library, don't hit the "Download all checked" button until you have checked all the ebooks (there may be several pages of them) that you want to download.

If you are downloading one page at a time, of your collection, remember to uncheck the boxes on the current page before going to the next page, otherwise the current page will be re-downloaded again when you hit the "Download all checked" button on subsequent pages...and again every time you hit that "Download all checked" button.

Clear as mud.

I did this the wrong way the first time and downloaded multiple copies of every book, except of course the last page.
This happened to me, too! Not intuitive, but an easy fix.
doreenjoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-07-2010, 05:57 PM   #6
Ladylynn
Shoulda known better...

Thanks, Wetdogeared. I'll take a look.
Old 10-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #7
Ladylynn
Shoulda known better...

Just to let y'all know, I think I got it fixed -- big thanks to Wetdogeared! The thread you pointed me to had a fix, but it was for a previous version of the software. It did, however, prompt me to dig around a bit. I found a page on the Sony site that suggested when I uninstall the program I also rename three different folders. Doing that seemed to do the trick, and I'm slowly and carefully putting my library back together in the Sony software. So far, so good.

Thanks again!

Edited to add: Just in case somebody else runs into a similar problem, the page that helped me is here.

Last edited by Ladylynn; 10-07-2010 at 09:37 PM. Reason: Adding a link to the helpful page I found.

Tags
left menu icon, software, sony