Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 09-26-2010, 05:38 AM   #1
stas12
stas12 began at the beginning.

Device: none
How good is CHM work on Qindle?

Hello.

I am looking to buy an ereader, but it must support CHM files and PDF.
I think of Kindle DXG (I need big screen), but I dont know how the DXG with Qindle installed work with CHM files. Can someone please tell me if the CHM viewer is like real one (with next and forward options, and the pictures are looking good)?

Thanks.
stas12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 08:01 PM   #2
kyhwana
kyhwana has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle3
The kindle won't read .chm files, AFAIK.
kyhwana is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 08:06 PM   #3
Moe The Cat
Bear Melt
Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Moe The Cat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Google Pixel 6, Moto G9 Power (both with Fbreader) & Kindle PW2
"Qindle" is a Qt embedded port for the Kindle DX (and not a typo). It's supposed to have a "viewer that can open PDF, DJVU, EPUB and CHM files". But, I don't think it is in development any longer.
Moe The Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 03:52 AM   #4
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
From what I heard, Qindle is very sluggish in general.
Duokan's firmware for Kindle is much more appealing.
Currently in Chinese, but English translation is in the works.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 05:01 AM   #5
vdp
Enthusiast
vdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watchvdp is clearly one to watch

Device: Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by eLiNK View Post
From what I heard, Qindle is very sluggish in general.
Duokan's firmware for Kindle is much more appealing.
Currently in Chinese, but English translation is in the works.
I already asked in the 'duokan' thread on the general Kindle forum, but I guess the audience there is not interested ...

I have several questions:

- Does anyone here use the Duokan's firmware?
- How stable it is? How great is the danger to brick the device?
- I read it supports PDF custom zoom level and table of contents which are the most glaring omissions in DXG's PDF support from my POV. How good it is at rendering the PDFs however(the amazon's firmware render is very good IMO)?
- Is it open source and where the source can be found if it is?

A video of a DXG using this firmware would be very interesting for me
vdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-28-2010, 08:37 AM   #6
eLiNK
Addict
eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.eLiNK got an A in P-Chem.

Device: PRS-505, KDXG
as it looks, there're not many users on this forum who have a good command of the Chinese.
Better contact indranet by PM.
eLiNK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
ppw
Connoisseur
ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ppw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 wifi, Kindle DXG, iPad 3
I converted a bunch of chm files to mobi via calibre. My kindle crashes a lot. Not sure it is due to these files or the many pdf files I throw on the Kindle. Either way, I imagine you'll have many crashes if you have a lot of chm and pdf files.
ppw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:59 PM   #8
renzokuken
renzokuken began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DXG
I am using Qindle on my DXG to read .chm and .djvu. I can confirm it works quite well albeit being a bit slower than the normal Kindle shell.
renzokuken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 03:30 AM   #9
bmf
bmf began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Perhaps one could leverage the browser code as chm is just a bunch of embedded html files. That would require using the browser to render the html source in a frame. Not sure how easy that would be.

I would find this very useful as quite a few technical books distribute a digital copy in chm format (which I hate!!)
bmf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 06:46 PM   #10
playful
Mammal
playful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmosplayful has become one with the cosmos

Device: Onyx Note Pro, Kindle DXG
Wanting to update this topic as CHM is close to my heart...
So much technical documentation, one great format to read it in!

Like ppw, I convert CHM to mobi in Calibre.
Unlike ppw, my Kindle DX doesn't crash. As I mentioned on another post, I find that Calibre does a splendid job of that CHM conversion---stripping all the annoying graphics, preserving the hyperlinks, allowing you to skip chapters.

So you can definitely use CHM on the Kindle!

Best wishes,

Andy
playful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2010, 09:08 PM   #11
mockingbird
mockingbird began at the beginning.

Device: kindle dx graphite
Quote:
Originally Posted by renzokuken View Post
I am using Qindle on my DXG to read .chm and .djvu. I can confirm it works quite well albeit being a bit slower than the normal Kindle shell.
i can not make this work.
jailbroken. installed usbnet v3.0
extracted qindle-0.1.tar and patch-0.1 to kindle root
added to usbnet/bin/usbnetwork
# Start qindle /bin/sh /mnt/us/local/bin/qindle.sh
after
/sbin/start-stop-daemon -q -p ${SSH_PID} -x ${REAL_SSH_DAEMON} -K
disconnected kindle from computer.
entered on kindle's search
;debugOn
`usbNetwork
`usbNetwork
kindle's screen just blinked after each enter. i installed doukan but i'd like a djvu reader which doesn't need restarting to be able to use it. thanks please help.

uninstalled qindle. repeated steps mentioned without installing the patch

Last edited by mockingbird; 12-08-2010 at 10:52 PM. Reason: WORKED.
mockingbird is offline   Reply With Quote