Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-09-2009, 05:19 PM   #256
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by radleyp View Post
DaleDe, either you are confused or I am.
You can buy Kindle ebooks if you ONLY have the iPhone/iPod Kindle software also. So, I guess the answer is that you are confused.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:26 PM   #257
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Also, note that while you can purchase books if you only have the Kindle iPhone app, you cannot download the books to a computer from Amazon - you will only be able to view them within the Kindle iPhone app itself. You need to have a Kindle registered to your Amazon account in order to download books to a computer.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:33 PM   #258
radleyp
Evangelist
radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.radleyp can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kindle Global, iphone4, ipad
Pilotbob, thanks for the clarification. I viewed this application as an addendum to the Kindle, rather than a standalone. You do still need an Amazon Kindle account on which you register the phone. BTW, AHintz, you can't read a Kindle book on a computer, only on a Kindle (and now the iphone/itouch).
radleyp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:34 PM   #259
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
You do still need an Amazon Kindle account on which you register the phone. BTW, AHintz, you can't read a Kindle book on a computer, only on a Kindle (and now the iphone/itouch).
Well, you need an Amazon account (not a Kindle account) to register your iPhone to yes.

BTW: You could never read a Kindle book on your PC, even if you have a Kindle.

BOb
Old 03-09-2009, 05:44 PM   #260
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
DaleDe, either you are confused or I am. If you want to buy a book from Amazon in Kindle format, you must own a Kindle, since such books are available only to a Kindle account whose setup requires that a Kindle (the one you own, and five others, if you wish to add them) be registered. Those books are downloaded to that Kindle. The Kindle for iphone was created to allow me to read on the iphone the same Kindle-formatted books I am reading on the Kindle, to the point where each device reads where I have stopped on the other. If you don't own a Kindle, why would you even bother with the iphone/Kindle app?
You are confused. If you own an iPhone or an iPod Touch you can register it and purchase eBooks for it. They are the same ones that are sold for the Kindle.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:46 PM   #261
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
Well, you need an Amazon account (not a Kindle account) to register your iPhone to yes.

BTW: You could never read a Kindle book on your PC, even if you have a Kindle.

BOb
Actually it is more or less a Kindle account because the application for the iPhone is also called Kindle, I think of it as a Kindle Reader but it is officially called Kindle for iPhone I believe even though it also works on the iTouch.

The application you "buy" for your phone is free.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:50 PM   #262
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by chorpler View Post
That seems unlikely, since you can just download the books to your computer anyway right from Amazon.
The only way to be able to download eBooks from Amazon to your computer is to have a Kindle registered to your account. All I have registered to my account is an iPod Touch.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #263
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
Actually it is more or less a Kindle account because the application for the iPhone is also called Kindle, I think of it as a Kindle Reader but it is officially called Kindle for iPhone I believe even though it also works on the iTouch.
I understand that, but he said something like "You have to register it to your Amazon Kindle account."

I am saying there is really no such thing as an "Amazon Kindle" account... it is your Amazon account that you are registering it to.

BOb
Old 03-09-2009, 05:53 PM   #264
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
DaleDe, either you are confused or I am. If you want to buy a book from Amazon in Kindle format, you must own a Kindle, since such books are available only to a Kindle account whose setup requires that a Kindle (the one you own, and five others, if you wish to add them) be registered. Those books are downloaded to that Kindle. The Kindle for iphone was created to allow me to read on the iphone the same Kindle-formatted books I am reading on the Kindle, to the point where each device reads where I have stopped on the other. If you don't own a Kindle, why would you even bother with the iphone/Kindle app?
You don't need a Kindle to purchase Kindle eBooks if you have an iPod Touch or iPhone. The Kindle app will work just fine for purchasing eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:33 PM   #265
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Quote:
With the new Kindle iPhone app, you don't have to own a Kindle. You can register your iPhone with your Amazon account and buy Kindle books using your iPhone. No Kindle necessary.

ETA: As I see many people have already pointed out. Sorry, missed the new page of replies.

Last edited by chorpler; 03-09-2009 at 06:38 PM.
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 06:37 PM   #266
chorpler
Zealot
chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.chorpler has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle; PRS-500; MobiPocket on Windows Mobile
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf
The only way to be able to download eBooks from Amazon to your computer is to have a Kindle registered to your account. All I have registered to my account is an iPod Touch.
Ah, so there are still some differences between owning an iPhone/iPod Touch with the Kindle App and owning an actual Kindle. Seems odd, though, that they would let you download with the Kindle but not with the iPhone -- I guess it's probably specifically because there's no way to copy them onto an iPhone to read them (unless it's jailbroken).
chorpler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 07:29 PM   #267
Liviu_5
Books and more books
Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.Liviu_5 juggles neatly with hedgehogs.

Device: Nook Color, Itouch, Nokia770, Sony 650, Sony 700(dead), Ebk(given)
Quote:
Ah, so there are still some differences between owning an iPhone/iPod Touch with the Kindle App and owning an actual Kindle. Seems odd, though, that they would let you download with the Kindle but not with the iPhone -- I guess it's probably specifically because there's no way to copy them onto an iPhone to read them (unless it's jailbroken).
There are some posts somewhere here detailing how to use backup, and extractor to get Kindle books from an iTouch on a Pc or a Mac without it being jailbroken. So some more hoops, as with the Kindle PID for the iTouch but nothing that complicated with a good description.

Have not tried it yet since I have not seen an ebook I want with a better Kindle price, but the first one that comes I will try...
Liviu_5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2009, 08:16 PM   #268
ahintz
Zealot
ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ahintz has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle PW/iPhone5/iPad (3)/Nook ST
Quote:
Pilotbob, thanks for the clarification. I viewed this application as an addendum to the Kindle, rather than a standalone. You do still need an Amazon Kindle account on which you register the phone. BTW, AHintz, you can't read a Kindle book on a computer, only on a Kindle (and now the iphone/itouch).
I understand - however, with a Kindle registered on your Amazon account, you can download the files (for backup, or whatever purpose) to your computer. That is not an option if you only have the Kindle app for iPhone.
ahintz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 02:02 AM   #269
bwaldron
Wizard
bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bwaldron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles: Paperwhite Signature Ed., Oasis 2, Voyage
Quote:
I guess it's probably specifically because there's no way to copy them onto an iPhone to read them (unless it's jailbroken).
Right, there is no "legitimate" purpose (in Amazon's view) for downloading the books without an actual Kindle device registered; i.e., no USB transfer possible.
bwaldron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2009, 03:07 AM   #270
RobbieClarken
Addict
RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RobbieClarken ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahintz View Post
I understand - however, with a Kindle registered on your Amazon account, you can download the files (for backup, or whatever purpose) to your computer. That is not an option if you only have the Kindle app for iPhone.
This is a pity as I've discovered that figures in iPhone Kindle books are optimised for the small screen of the device. So when I put the books on my DR1000, the graphs are so tiny that the text is often unreadable.
RobbieClarken is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
iphone/ipod touch, kindle