Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-07-2017, 02:09 PM   #1
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Debugging the screen

So I was reading on my e-ink device, just before bedtime. Room lights are already off so the better half can get to sleep.

As dim as it was, my reader's screen was the only light, so naturally it attracted the attention of a tiny, little gnat!

Man, you should have seen how that beastie could turn pages! I would wave my hand to chase it into flight, only to have it alight again on my screen! We were doing quite a dance, that bug and I!

Finally I decided it was a sign that I should shut it down and get some sleep. That was the only was I was going to de-bug that screen!
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2017, 08:35 PM   #2
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I had that bug once! I have also had similar experiences with a drop of water that turned a number of pages before I could grab something to wipe it off.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Tape a handle to that ebook reader and use it as a fly-swatter.

(At least, that's what I would do with YOUR ebook reader.)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 07:33 AM   #4
Calenorn
Brash Fumbler
Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Calenorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NST, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Tape a handle to that ebook reader and use it as a fly-swatter.

(At least, that's what I would do with YOUR ebook reader.)
Sometimes I see an old car with a bumper sticker that says "Don't laugh. It's paid for!"

My NOOKs are loaded with the books I love, the WiFi is off, and I'm going to read until the batteries die! Maybe for decades.

No one talks about this, but it seems to me the manufacturers' error was in making the hardware for these devices TOO good. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with them. But I also have no reason to upgrade.
Calenorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 08:16 AM   #5
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
No one talks about this, but it seems to me the manufacturers' error was in making the hardware for these devices TOO good. Don't get me wrong, I'm happy with them. But I also have no reason to upgrade.
Oh, it's talked about as the reason why iPad sales peaked around 2014 and why tablet and PC sales have flattened and even declined in some categories.
But...
That applies primarily to companies whose goal is to sell gadgets.
That doesn't necessarily apply to the ereader business post-2010 after the rise of walled gardens and near-cost pricing.
Whether you're talking Kobo, Tolino, Nook, or Amazon, an ebook vendor makes more money if a customer spends $100 on ebooks (around $30) than if they spend them on a new reader (around $10-20). If anything, a reputation for durability helps draw in late adopters who are reassured they won't have to buy a new reader every couple of years to maintain access to their ebook hoard.

The gaming console business has been moving in this direction for the past few years with the adoption of x86-based hardware, mid-generation refreshes that preserve compatibility, and hints that the current platform will be "the last generation" (yeah, right!) to get customers to adopt/stay with their platform.

In both cases the primary product is the content, not the gadget, and over the life of the gadget the customer will be spending large multiples of the gadget cost on books/games. Also, in both cases the success of the platform depends on keeping content creators happy, which means that the $100 spent on ebooks instead of a reader delivers $70 to publishers instead of the hired contract manufacturer.

The gadgets are important for customer acquisition but that importance declines once the customer commits to the walled garden. At that point retaining the customer hinges more on the content than the device.

Now, if interoperable epub had prevailed we would be looking at a situation closer to the phone business where the gadget makers try to get you to "upgrade" every year or two with hype, cutesy ads, wizzbang new "features" and specsheet engineering instead of highlighting the content.

We're not living in the best of all ebook worlds but things aren't playing out badly.
If only there were some commitment on the part of Google and Rakuten to actually compete...

Last edited by fjtorres; 03-17-2017 at 08:18 AM.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2017, 11:39 PM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I thought of this thread today when cookie crumbs fell on my reader and it went nuts,flipping pages faster than I would have thought possible

I guess I should be the poster child for what not to get on your reader - food crumbs, drops of water, my own hair.....
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2017, 08:54 AM   #7
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
I thought of this thread today when cookie crumbs fell on my reader and it went nuts,flipping pages faster than I would have thought possible

I guess I should be the poster child for what not to get on your reader - food crumbs, drops of water, my own hair.....

Just be lucky it wasn't a walnut!
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2017, 02:56 PM   #8
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calenorn View Post
So I was reading on my e-ink device, just before bedtime. Room lights are already off so the better half can get to sleep.

As dim as it was, my reader's screen was the only light, so naturally it attracted the attention of a tiny, little gnat!

Man, you should have seen how that beastie could turn pages! I would wave my hand to chase it into flight, only to have it alight again on my screen! We were doing quite a dance, that bug and I!

Finally I decided it was a sign that I should shut it down and get some sleep. That was the only was I was going to de-bug that screen!
I sometimes have the same problem at home, but more often at the cabin or in a tent. My solution is to always have a can of "flying bug insecticide" nearby and a quick LIGHT spray in the air will calm the little critters down permanently. If convenient I will step away from the room til the spray diffuses but if not (as in a tent) I put a filter mask on for a while.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote