Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader > Kobo Tablets

Notices

Old 08-10-2012, 03:25 PM   #121
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
$297.85 here in Nova Scotia. *shudder*

*sigh* Wish I weren't too paranoid about Chinese tech importers, else I would definitely grab that Aurora II... (it'd be nice to have something to use on my nice and comfy couch so that I don't have to stay glued to my desktop to keep in touch with the world :P)
Futureshop is having a sale on the Acer A100. $199.99. In stock in 5 Nova Scotia stores
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2012, 11:23 AM   #122
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Mini, Kobo Arc, HTC Desire C
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Futureshop is having a sale on the Acer A100. $199.99. In stock in 5 Nova Scotia stores
Crap battery, bad viewing angles (saw one in Wal-Mart and couldn't make out the screen at the standard angle, like half the slope of a \), only 8GB onboard, and Honeycomb 3.2 with no opportunity to upgrade to ICS (without wiping it and manually installing, with no guarantees it'll work right on the hardware; I can live without Jelly Bean, though :P).

MAYBE if it were $150 ($177.00 after tax and bus fare), and then only because it's available locally and I'd be impatient to get it.
JD Gumby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 01:33 AM   #123
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
Quite the thread I started. I'm going to be sticking with the Vox as my 7" device for the foreseeable future.

The big city daily newspaper will be cancelling newspaper delivery at the end of the month. So now I'm looking at a 10" tablet so I can still read the paper, aka browse the news websites, while eating meals. While I have a spare Windows laptop the keyboard will be in the way and a food and drink magnet.

A local library has licensed PressDisplay so can still read the comics on a daily basis.

Right now the Acer A200 is the current favourite as it has the right combination of brand name and features such as Bluetooth and screen resolution. But I'm still poking about.

And I need to buy some kind of case or device to hold it at an angle.

Last edited by TonyToews; 08-12-2012 at 01:34 AM. Reason: Changed 10' to 10".
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 11:08 AM   #124
46jimbo
Zealot
46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.46jimbo is at one with the great books of the world.

Device: Kobo Touch + Kobo Aura
Tony, I use one of these for my 10" tablet. I can highly recommend it.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Aluminum-meta...item4ab8529ad6
46jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 12:03 PM   #125
Cdesja5
Wizard
Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cdesja5 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lots and lots of electronic gadgets...
Depending on the tablet you end up choosing, Digitals on Demand has great kits with a large number of accessories for about 40 to 60$. Quality is acceptable, I've been using the leather case every day for the past 7 months and it's still in excellent condition. The 6ft cable and usb chargers for the car and house alone make the kit worth the price!

http://www.digitalsondemand.com/
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SC20120812-115830.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	282.3 KB
ID:	90632  
Cdesja5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2012, 08:43 PM   #126
TonyToews
Evangelist
TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TonyToews ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Glo
So I'm thinking about this and I realize that I have a spare laptop and why restrict
myself to a 10" tablet. Why not just buy a 22" or 24" touch screen monitor and use
it and the spare laptop?

Like this one for $270.
http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applicatio...147&CatId=1449
TonyToews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 03:41 AM   #127
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldyellr View Post
This being the Kobo Vox forum, how are all these other cheap tablets as e-readers?
The N7 is only about 2 ounces lighter than the Vox, but seems much easier to hold for a prolonged period of time. This improves the reading experience for me. I have been able to adjust the brightness/contrast of the screen so that reading at night in a dark room is really pleasurable. The touch screen seems more responsive and it takes much less time for books to download, sync, etc.

I expect that the next iteration of the Vox will have all of that, but for now, I don't regret making the change and i find I am reading on it more than I expected to.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #128
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JD Gumby View Post
Crap battery, bad viewing angles (saw one in Wal-Mart and couldn't make out the screen at the standard angle, like half the slope of a \), only 8GB onboard, and Honeycomb 3.2 with no opportunity to upgrade to ICS (without wiping it and manually installing, with no guarantees it'll work right on the hardware; I can live without Jelly Bean, though :P).

MAYBE if it were $150 ($177.00 after tax and bus fare), and then only because it's available locally and I'd be impatient to get it.
I'll give you the poor battery life (I average 4.5 - 5 hrs awake time), but c'mon, don't dis it after a viewing in Walmart .

Considering I've used one every day for months now, I think $200 is a great price though $150 would be better. There is bad viewing in one orientation, but since it's a handheld device it's easy to flip it over. HDMI out for the times you're showing a movie or photos to a crowd (when I'm feeling super lazy, I use the HDMI out to read in bed ). 8gig, expandable with SD card (I've got a 64GB one in mine). Where did you hear there was no ICS? Acer put out an Over the Air upgrade in late May, early June. I've been running ICS for almost 3 months now, automatic update, no problems installing. Personally, I think it's a great little device.
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2012, 07:42 AM   #129
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon
JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JD Gumby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thWiggle View Post
Where did you hear there was no ICS? Acer put out an Over the Air upgrade in late May, early June. I've been running ICS for almost 3 months now, automatic update, no problems installing.
Okay, I'll give you that one - most everywhere I looked (including FutureShop) still lists it as Honeycomb and I guess I was mixing up the no-upgrade with a different Honeycomb tablet... Too lazy to go look up which one it might've been, though. :P
Old 08-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #130
renee0986
Enthusiast
renee0986 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kboland View Post
Yep indeed I'll be ordering mine next week. Unfortunately they left out the microSD slot, but one can always just use Dropbox.
Too bad it doesn't have microSD indeed. I've been looking at tablets for awhile and almost bought an iPad at one point (being a huge google usuer I just couldn't bring myself to switch from driod). If this new Asus tab had a microSD I would sell my vox tomorrow and order the tab. I must say I am most impressed by Asus - jsut bought a Asus laptop recently and it continues to blow me away. I can't wait until this puppy hits the stores so I can get a live demo and perhaps end up with a new toy.

EDIT: Kobo ate a bunch of my side loaded books for the last time 2 days ago. Went to BestBuy after work yesterday and started playing with 7" tablets. This enticed me to get on the internet when I got home and do some research on the Nexus7 Vs. Samsung Tab 2 7". An ad has now been placed in my local classifieds to sell my Kobo. If I can get it sold it will be replaced sooner rather than later - if not I will wait to see if either of these tablets go on sale during the back to school madness. Right now I'm leaning more towards the Samsung as it is expandable whereas the Nexus isn't - but that decision is yet to be made.

Last edited by renee0986; 08-17-2012 at 07:46 AM.
renee0986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:45 PM   #131
Reader Paradice
Getting Back To Reading!
Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Reader Paradice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Vox and Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by renee0986 View Post
Too bad it doesn't have microSD indeed. I've been looking at tablets for awhile and almost bought an iPad at one point (being a huge google usuer I just couldn't bring myself to switch from driod). If this new Asus tab had a microSD I would sell my vox tomorrow and order the tab. I must say I am most impressed by Asus - jsut bought a Asus laptop recently and it continues to blow me away. I can't wait until this puppy hits the stores so I can get a live demo and perhaps end up with a new toy.

EDIT: Kobo ate a bunch of my side loaded books for the last time 2 days ago. Went to BestBuy after work yesterday and started playing with 7" tablets. This enticed me to get on the internet when I got home and do some research on the Nexus7 Vs. Samsung Tab 2 7". An ad has now been placed in my local classifieds to sell my Kobo. If I can get it sold it will be replaced sooner rather than later - if not I will wait to see if either of these tablets go on sale during the back to school madness. Right now I'm leaning more towards the Samsung as it is expandable whereas the Nexus isn't - but that decision is yet to be made.
----------------------------------------------------

Renee, the SoC (Tegra-3) will thrill you with its speed and ability to run ANYTHING you ask it to. The display on the N7 is stunning, whether you watch videos, view static pictures, and of course text/font rendering. I get a constant 7-8 hours of use, actually no matter what I combine of the above activities. You do NOT need to disable one feature or radio on the device to see this battery life. Three (3) hours to fully charge it up from low-warning with the included Asus adapter. I have had this for a month, and it is a complete knockout! I actually enjoy to watch (laying in bed before sleep) Netflix and other downloaded movie content, whether HD or not. This was the best usage of under 300.00 that has been spent so far in the portable tablet realm. The feature/power for the dollar ratio is totally loaded in the user's favor.

If you decide upon one, and want to use a headphone (great sound BTW) with the N7, I just want to comment that the first time you put the plug into the socket at the bottom of the N7, it is a good fit, and so make sure that you use enough force to completely see/feel the plug seat itself into the socket. Some new users thought there was something wrong with their unit when they had 'thought' it was fully seated and only got sound from the right channel. I also did that when using the socket for the first time...but knew that I obviously had not fully seated the headphone plug and pushed a little more to overcome the good fit, and felt the plug travel that little more to fully and truly be seated. I then had full left and right channels being sent to the headphone.

I just thought to comment.

Last edited by Reader Paradice; 08-28-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: ...added content
Reader Paradice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:04 PM   #132
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:

EDIT: Kobo ate a bunch of my side loaded books for the last time 2 days ago.
I know people who store their whole library on the external SD card. Not only does it take forever to load, but like you say, you can lose it in a flash. I keep books I'm likely to read in the near future on Dropbox and the rest on my desktop PC.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 03:07 PM   #133
oldyellr
Evangelist
oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.oldyellr is not intimidated by interfenestral monkeys.

Device: Kobo Vox, Amazon Fire 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reader Paradice View Post
If you decide upon one, and want to use a headphone (great sound BTW) with the N7, I just want to comment that the first time you put the plug into the socket at the bottom of the N7, it is a good fit, and so make sure that you use enough force to completely see/feel the plug seat itself into the socket. Some new users thought there was something wrong with their unit when they had 'thought' it was fully seated and only got sound from the right channel. I also did that when using the socket for the first time...but knew that I obviously had not fully seated the headphone plug and pushed a little more to overcome the good fit, and felt the plug travel that little more to fully and truly be seated. I then had full left and right channels being sent to the headphone.

I just thought to comment.
It seems a common problem with different devices and brands of headphone plugs. One would have thought they'd adhere to a common standard, but maybe the tolerances of the standard are too loose.
oldyellr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 07:44 PM   #134
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
While the N7 doesn't have a native SD card slot, there is a way to expand the memory by using a USB cable adapter and an app. Rooting the device will allow read/write to the extended storage, while there's supposedly a way to get Read only access to the expanded memory sans rooting. I'm just waiting for my adapter to try this out, hopefully by this weekend.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #135
JD Gumby
Cynical Old Curmudgeon

Yeah, if you have to go through so much trouble to enable a feature that there is no reasonable excuse for not including (and "to make people more dependant on our paid cloud services" is not reasonable), the device isn't worth it in the first place.