Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-12-2012, 03:49 AM   #1
robcohen
Enthusiast
robcohen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and Kindle Touch
Where to download Calibre User Manual as an ebook?

Hi,
Where can I download a current copy of the Calibre User Guide as an ebook (in any format)?

I'm sure I've seen this referenced more than once but cannot find it now. One place I see it is in http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/_sources/index.txt. Here it says:
Quote:
An ebook version of this user manual is available in `EPUB format <calibre.epub>`_.
Searching for it in the html User Guide is an exercise in frustration. Also tried searching the forums here but come up with way too many false positives in any case.

Could it be added to the Start Here sticky? That's the first place I thought to look.

thanks
rob

Last edited by robcohen; 02-12-2012 at 03:52 AM.
robcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:03 AM   #2
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
It comes with a new install of Calibre. However, if you're upgrading from old copies, I don't think it gets copied in. So download the calibre-portable version, unzip the file, and look for the help file inside the zip.
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 04:23 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Go to http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/. Just above the "Sections" part you will see a line "An ebook version of this user manual is available in EPUB format", where "EPUB format" is a link. Click on that link to download the manual.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:47 AM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
It comes with a new install of Calibre. However, if you're upgrading from old copies, I don't think it gets copied in. So download the calibre-portable version, unzip the file, and look for the help file inside the zip.
It comes with every Calibre install, it just does not get put into an existing Library.
You will find quick_start.epub inside the Calibre folder in the program directory .
Example (XP): C:\Program Files\Calibre2\resources\
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 08:52 AM   #5
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
I made the line linking to the ebook version of the manual bold, hopefully fewer people will miss it that way.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 10:34 AM   #6
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
Can Calibre be used to convert the epub version to mobi or pdf? Has anyone done this? How's the formatting of the result? I'd like to have it on my kindles.
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2012, 11:23 PM   #7
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
MOBII doesn't have the features necessary for the user manual, you can convert it, but the result will not be pretty.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 12:48 AM   #8
eboyhan
PandaMuse
eboyhan doesn't littereboyhan doesn't litter

Device: kindle dx, kindle touch SO, kindle fire, kindle fire hd8.9
What about PDF then?
eboyhan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012, 04:23 AM   #9
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
It comes with every Calibre install, it just does not get put into an existing Library. You will find quick_start.epub inside the Calibre folder in the program directory. Example (XP): C:\Program Files\Calibre2\resources\
The Quick Start manual in the resources folder is different than the User manual in epub format. The latter is the entire Web user manual in ebook form. Chaley explains well where to find it.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 02:56 AM   #10
robcohen
Enthusiast
robcohen began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle and Kindle Touch
Got it!

Thanks for steering me right. Had a feeling it was one of those 'duh' moments and sure enough, there's the link in the web version I somehow missed. I'm sure I didn't take time out to read it when I first installed Calibre many months ago - it's most useful once the training-wheels are off and you've been using the program for awhile, IMHO.

Rob
robcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2014, 12:24 PM   #11
Altivo
Enthusiast
Altivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of lightAltivo is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Generic Android tablet, Kobo WiFi, Literati, and eBookwise 1150
An interesting and odd thing about the Calibre User Manual. While you can read it just fine in Calibre itself, if you use Calibre to load it to a Kobo (at least the N647 "wi-fi" model) it causes the Kobo to crash. The device locks up while "processing new content" and can only be recovered by using a pin in the reset hole on the back. I tried this with two different N647 devices, one with the current firmware (1.9.11) and one with the older 1.9.8 firmware, and got the same results from both.

After this happens, the epub file is still present in the device and can be seen by Calibre or by a computer looking at the directory, but the Kobo simply pretends it doesn't exist.

Last edited by Altivo; 01-10-2014 at 12:27 PM. Reason: added information
Altivo is offline   Reply With Quote