Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 11-24-2010, 10:45 AM   #1
CyberpunkDad
Neuromancer Fanboi
CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 3 / 3G
Octovo Solis Light for Kindle 3 Available

I don't know if this is old news, but the Octovo Solis light for the Kindle 3 is now available. Just ordered one online at their sight. Here is the link.

CyberpunkDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:05 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3

Looks pretty good.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi; Kindle Paperwhite
I like the looks of that book light. I hope you will let us know how it well it works and whether or not you like it when you receive it.

I have the Mighty Bright Flex light and don't really like it. It works well but seems a bit clunky, if you know what I mean, plus the long wand for the light makes it difficult to store. And, though it seems sturdy enough, I worry about the wand breaking when I carry the book light in my soft-sided briefcase.

I am also considering the eBook Lite from Capstone; they are supposed to have a black version out now, but I can't seem to find it on line. Target was selling the light, but their web site doesn't even list the white version anymore. The Octovo Solis light looks nicer, anyway.

Holly
OakIris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 02:34 PM   #4
CyberpunkDad
Neuromancer Fanboi
CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.CyberpunkDad has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

I'm looking forward to trying it. I like that it looks like it will be lightweight. The funny thing was I that I was on their website looking at the one for the K2 and clicked the chat button and asked when the K3 was going to be available. I swear they were updating the page because they came back and said it was available now.

Essentially it looks to be the exact same as the K2 with a narrower clip.
Old 11-24-2010, 06:51 PM   #5
Exer
I see Russia!
Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Exer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Etch-A-Sketch
My GF always laughs at me when I describe a gadget as 'sexy', but that is one sexy looking reading light lol. Looks like it only works on a naked Kindle though, and I almost never use mine that way ... hmm, might work with some cases as well, if they don't enclose the Kindle at the top.
Exer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:19 PM   #6
CyberpunkDad
Neuromancer Fanboi

Exer - yeah it does look to he more naked kindle favoring. I love how slim the Kimdle is. I don't think I'll ever book it. I'm going crazy waiting for that Etsy leather sleeve to arrive. LOL.
Old 11-25-2010, 12:38 PM   #7
OakIris
Addict
OakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a TexanOakIris might easily be mistaken for a Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exer View Post
My GF always laughs at me when I describe a gadget as 'sexy', but that is one sexy looking reading light lol. Looks like it only works on a naked Kindle though, and I almost never use mine that way ... hmm, might work with some cases as well, if they don't enclose the Kindle at the top.
I think it looks very stylish and I think sexy is a good description for a lot of gadgets, including this one.

I'm too clumsy to read my Kindle when it is naked - I'm just sure I would drop it just because it was unprotected. I was looking at my cover (an Oberon cover) and it looks to me as if the light clip would fit just fine - there looks as if there is plenty of room between the back of the Kindle and the cover to slip the light clip right in. I agree with you that the Octovo light should work with cases that don't enclose the top of the Kindle.

I don't have the $$ to buy a new light right now, but I am hoping that by the time I do, someone here (someone like you, CyberpunkDad ) will have reviewed the Octovo Solis so we know whether or not it is worth the cost.

Holly
Old 11-25-2010, 03:23 PM   #8
subarux
subarux began at the beginning.

Device: kindle & iphone
Thanks for letting us know about this sexy :-) & beautiful Light.
It's exactly what I am looking for since I like to read with my naked Kindle.
subarux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 04:19 AM   #9
alphataru
alphataru began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
25hrs doesn't sound that long though. Suppose you read 2hrs a night with the light, it would last a little less than 2 weeks.

How does the battery life compare to other lights?
alphataru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:28 PM   #10
CyberpunkDad
Neuromancer Fanboi

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphataru View Post
25hrs doesn't sound that long though. Suppose you read 2hrs a night with the light, it would last a little less than 2 weeks.

Not sure. I takes one double A battery. But the fact that it takes a double A is key to me. I was looking at the Kandle and the fact that it uses a cell battery (round) killed it for me.

LED's dont consume a lot of power thankfully.
Old 11-26-2010, 12:40 PM   #11
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alphataru View Post

According to Mighty Bright, the batteries for the XtraFlex2 book light for the Kindle should last for 28 hours of use. This is the book light I currently have. This light uses three AAA batteries, not just one AA like the Octovo does, so I would say that the Octovo Solis battery life is pretty good in comparison, at least to the Mighty Bright.

Of course, though I don't know if they will last as long as 25 or 28 hours between charges, you can always use rechargeable batteries to save on battery costs, if the cost of replacement batteries is what you are concerned about.

Battery life is not really an issue for me since I rarely read in the dark, anyway; I certainly don't average 2 hours a week, let alone 2 hours a night. I am more interested in how well the book light works to light up the eReader so that I can read comfortably. Having one that is also very pleasing aesthetically, like the Octovo Solis, is icing on the cake! I am hoping that users here find the Solis's function is as good as its form.

It is quite possible that other book lights are more efficient than the Octovo Solis. You would have to do some research to find out the actual electrical draw of each of the available LED book lights if this is the main sticking point for you, alphataru.

Holly
Old 11-27-2010, 06:45 PM   #12
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
If you already have a K2 Octovo Solis light, it can be modded to fit the K3. I added a small strip of adhesive-backed felt (sold by the sheet for $0.99-1.29 at craft stores) to the front of the clip, and it fits the K3 perfectly.

I like the Solis a lot. It's lightweight, and casts a slightly warmer glow than most LED lights, which I find easier on the eyes in a dark room. Too bad I don't really like the Kindle 3...

I also own the Capstone light, which I use on my Opus. It is just as light, but has a brighter, cooler glow. My Target now carries them on the bottom of an endcap in the book section, not anywhere near the Kindle.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 08:54 PM   #13
thaigreg
Connoisseur
thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.thaigreg can eat soup with a fork.

Device: BeBook/JBL/Kindle 3
Hi,

Check out the Beam N Read Light Hands Free at Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ef=oss_product). It doesn't attach to the reader and you can get an AC adapter.

Greg
thaigreg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:25 PM   #14
OakIris
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by simplyparticular View Post
If you already have a K2 Octovo Solis light, it can be modded to fit the K3. I added a small strip of adhesive-backed felt (sold by the sheet for $0.99-1.29 at craft stores) to the front of the clip, and it fits the K3 perfectly.

I like the Solis a lot. It's lightweight, and casts a slightly warmer glow than most LED lights, which I find easier on the eyes in a dark room. Too bad I don't really like the Kindle 3...

I also own the Capstone light, which I use on my Opus. It is just as light, but has a brighter, cooler glow. My Target now carries them on the bottom of an endcap in the book section, not anywhere near the Kindle.
Good information about the Octovo book light; thank you for that, simplyparticular. LED lighting is often rather harsh so it's nice to know that the Solis lighting might be a bit gentler on the eyes. (Sorry you don't like the Kindle 3, but it is certainly not everyone's cup of tea!)

And also nice to know that those who have the K2 version of the Solis can just modify it slightly, as you did, to fit the Kindle 3. I did do a quick search to see if the K2 version was being sold at a discount anywhere - which would be good for Kindle 2 and Kindle 3 owners - but I couldn't find it being sold, period, not even on eBay, except on the Octovo site, where it is still the same price as the K3 version.

Holly
Old 11-28-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
Skydog
Wizard
Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Skydog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Elipsa 2E, Sage, Forma, Libra 2, Clara 2E, Kindle Oasis3, Voyage
The Solis is very nice (bought one for the K2 originally) but the inventory and customer service is sadly lacking. It was a 2 1/2 month wait.

Octovo first stocked only 20 K3 lights last month and has no re-ordering information at all. (I asked them directly) Given their chronic delays in product availability I would look elsewhere if I were shopping for a light.
Skydog is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
kindle 3, light, octovo